Hardwiring the dash cam

bigfoot

Finally got round to buying a dash cam,

It comes with both a plug in for the 12 volt power outlet and the hardwire kit,

I can't decide whether to simply plug the plug into the 12 volt power outlet under the glove box and tell passengers to watch their legs on it,

Or hardwire it in for a neater finish, now I'm no auto electrician but I have seen these piggyback fuse connectors,

So I'm thinking of perhaps piggybacking off 1 of the 10amp fuses with say a 5 amp fuse for the dash cam.

Has anyone hardwired a dash cam this way or any advice on doing this.

So I'm thinking of perhaps piggybacking off 1 of the 10amp fuses with say a 5 amp fuse for the dash cam.

Has anyone hardwired a dash cam this way or any advice on doing this.

I've hardwired my dashcam using one of those piggy backs. I then ran the wires up the A pillar, then tucked the rest into the headliner and to the dashcam.

Here's mine:

Untitled-1_zpskdndcmdg.jpg

1. The piggy back - can't remember exactly which fuse I tapped into, but I used a volt meter to check which one comes on with the ignition. Now I look at it, I don't think I checked the value of the fuse that was supplied. Isn't yellow 20A?! :scare: Might check it out later.
  2. The power supply - I just tucked this away here as the cable was long enough to reach the camera.
  3. Ground - There's a grounding point here that I used for the ground for the power supply

Only tip I have is be mindful of the orientation of the piggy back. Apparently you want the 12v side to be this one:

images_zpskmeiaxfn.jpg

Makes sense really, else the current for your piggy back circuit goes through the original fuse (becomes series instead of parallel).

Hopefully I'm making sense! :lol:

Have you considered how you'll switch it on and off? if you leave it on you might return to find your battery flat

As long as you piggy back IGN or ACC (?), then it would automatically turn off when the ignition isn't on. :)

• Like 1

Try what I have done on my 350z, I am sure it cant be that different. Plug into the cigarette charger behind the drivers seat (if the 370z has one), run the cable under your door kick surrounds, push in alongside your driver side dashboard (right in the corner, push it in with a blunt instrument), push behind the far upright window column (window side) (there's loads or room) and then run it along the top of your windscreen behind the roof lining (loads of room) and then drop it in behind the cam. SImples.. You cant see any of the wiring.. :lol:

Edited by Payco
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for the help,

Very helpful Hodaka especially with the pics thank you,

I've checked the power outlet sockets are connected to the ignition and I will make sure the fuse I use is also powered via the ignition.

When you install it bigfoot if possible could you take some pictures as you go if you don't mind?,

...you see I'm sure this question is going to pop up more & more with the ever increasing popularity of dash cams so it would be good to have some sort of "how to" guide for permanent installation on the 370Z.

Maybe write it up too as the "370Z Guides" section is sorely lacking imo.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.c...92-370z-guides/

Thanks and good luck either way. :thumbs:

• Like 1