Not another front end knock post...

JoeSwin

Hi all,

Apologies if its another front end knock post.

Anyway I just half want to reassure myself that i'm going down the right path and look into any other potential cause.

I recently had the front banana arms replaced (with the help of a fantastic forum member) - they needed doing as the bush was out of the arm pretty much.. since then the car feels much better but a front end knock rattle has gradually got worse - could this be drop links???

I've got a new set on order which i'm picking up from the garage this week. However I thought this was more of a creaking noise symptom?

Basically over any rough ground it sounds like a rattling old horse and cart, it feels like a rattle/knocking too. Only reason why I think its ARB links is because it could rattle where suspension items under load wouldn't necessarily have the chance to rattle.

Yes both sides changed. Potentially could be the wheel end bolt slightly loosened after a couple of weeks on the road?

I'm changing the drop links anyway as they need doing.

But I'm not sure whether drop links would give the loose feeling under knocking?

Of course, pleas for tomorrow afternoon is

Whip it in axle stands and check the torque of the new LCAs.

Swap over the ARB links

Check torque / tighten the upper link to BIW bolts, as I can see a gap between washer and bracket so thinking all three could be a factor.

Is there anything else I should be checking?

If there's still a problem Ill just cry surrounded by a pile of tools

How did you get on?

I've got to get under the front end again tomorrow because yet another annoying and infrequent knock has appeared!

I have replaced the following, bananas, lower arms, all cone bushes associated with, drop links. Now its fairly smooth except when at a snails pace over say a speed bump when I get a loud knock that sounds like your slapping two plastic chopping boards together.

Damn annoying :(

Drives fine otherwise, alignment is spot on, no uneven tyre wear.

Only things left to look at are the hub carriers, arb bushes (unlikely),shocks and checking all bolts are torqued up correctly.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

Hi,

All sorted in the end. I re-tightened both the LCA hub end bolts, although they were already tight, and then replaced the Drop links.

What I also noticed is the front and mid undertrays and wheel arch liners both had quite a few bolt, push clips missing which could be causing a plastic on plastic knock or rattle. I just used foam pads to fill the gaps.

End results is no knocking!!

but I would suggest checking all the underbody plastic trims.

• Like 1