And it was all going so well! :(

Commander

921,600 vs 2,073,600. That's the pixel count difference between 720 and 1080. Now imagine the weather is a bit crap, it's a bit grey, it's a bit rainy, and someone nudges you. You check your footage and you need to zoom in a bit to get all the detail on the number plate of the knobber that drove into you.

Wouldn't you rather have more than twice the amount of pixels to be able to do that? For general TV watching 720p is fine for pretty much everybody, but with something like this unless you give yourself the very best chance possible chance to capture a moment in time, it's verging on a waste of money.

The time when someone scrapes alongside your car and drives off, and the footage isn't clear enough in 720p, are you really going to be happy you saved a hundred quid?

• Like 1

Anything you put in the window is going to attract thieves. It's not there for that purpose, it's there for when knobheads drive into my car :lol:

With the comprehensive software and the iOS app, I really don't think the BlackVue can be beaten for that price.

I would prefer the thieves stole a £40 dash cam rather than a £250 dash cam. :scare:

I'm all for dashcams now, have just got a front rear facing one for mine. However in this case would the dashcam have caught anything at all? Or been any use? Given that the van pulled in to the side, and wouldnt catch the correct use of indicators etc by the Zed?

I'm all for dashcams now, have just got a front rear facing one for mine. However in this case would the dashcam have caught anything at all? Or been any use? Given that the van pulled in to the side, and wouldnt catch the correct use of indicators etc by the Zed?

I would think it would have been of use yes as it would have shown the Op behind the van pulling out for an overtake (possibly with you being able to hear the clicking noise from an indicator on) into an empty lane followed by a bang/noise as he was hit from the side by the van.

At least that's what I think it would have shown. ;)

I have a cheaper dash cam in the Zed and for the money I'm very happy with it.

This is a picture at speed and the reg ahead is clearly visible. My phone is only 720p so YouTube will only go up to this and he quality of the recording on my laptop is double as sharp as was recorded in 1080p 30fps. The image has gone from device, to phone to YouTube, screen shot in my phone again then uploaded to photobucket.

Again no issues with my Amacam AM-M81

Dashcam%20view%20GTR_zpsxm9mvccj.png

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

I feel your pain.... the same thing happened to me earlier this year. I overtook a van doing approx 40mph in a 60mph road. The van then decided to overtake the car infront without looking behind. Again a long straight road without a single car in sight coming the other way. Fortunately for me the damage was on the rear wing only and cost about £500 to repair.... I hope you get yours sorted without too much pain and aggro!

Even cheaper dash cams have 1080p, no great shakes

The G1W is 1080p running at 30 f/s and cost me £20. Picture quality is excellent, it clearly is a bigger unit than more expensive options, sound quality is pretty dire but the picture quality is absolutely spot on you can read number plates at distance etc.

But really bang for buck if you don't have £200+ to throw at a camera right now I can give a big thumbs up for one of these (make sure you get the original ones not copies) if you want to at least get something in the window of the car in case the worst happens.

• Like 1

Absolutely, and that's why they are so much more expensive, the G1W is great though for sticking in the window without breaking the bank and still having some level of cover until you decide to treat yourself to something more snazzy.