If only I could make my mind up.

Bandit

Long story short, my sister had a slk 55 amg which I had full use of, it does go round corners, it sounds epic, its a very very nice place to be and if a guy cant own an amg merc I must be on the wrong forum, 350 wouldnt get a look in imho ; ) go drive one dude, great car :)

• Like 1

Long story short, my sister had a slk 55 amg which I had full use of, it does go round corners, it sounds epic, its a very very nice place to be and if a guy cant own an amg merc I must be on the wrong forum, 350 wouldnt get a look in imho ; ) go drive one dude, great car :)

Thanks Jetpilot, not sure the pennies would stretch to a AMG, but would look at a SLK 350 around an 05 or 06, same with a Zed, not sure what else is about that would be in the same league, What about a Lexus SC430 nice V8 in it ?. :surrender:

So Bandit, what's it to be ?

Sorry Attack this has gone way off topic..I honestly don't know. Its a Zed or a Merc at the moment, maybe depends what comes up that's a good car for the right price, decisions, decisions, decisions. :surrender:

don't worry about the banter - get what suits you and your budget :teeth::blush:

Yep - banter = good !

• Like 1

*ahem* 335i convertible...

What about a Lexus SC430 nice V8 in it ?. :surrender:

fugly

I also remember a few years back Top Gear (I know, I know) declared the Lexus the worst car ever. whereas when they compared an SLK to a boxster the SLK actually came out pretty good.

but still, the merc is a girls car. regardless of engine. buy it if you want to cruise around with the roof down, and have people admire you. buy a zed if you actually want to drive the thing.

how about a BMW Z4? or maybe a 335i convertible? the latter will keep up with an E46 M3 no problems, and isn't far off an E90 M3. If you can stretch to an e90 M3 though i'd get a drive, theres a few at my work and when they give it beans leaving the car park it does sound like thor gargling chainsaws.

• Like 1

prices are going up for E46 M3s now, but the insides are pretty dated. e93 335i convertible with a remap, rear subframe inserts, coilovers and a decent alignment will see you right, and it'll still be cheaper than an e46 M3.

Thanks brillomaster, not look yet at M3s but I'll take your advice on an e93. I'm even more confused now..Zed, Beemer, Merc :surrender:

Now this is a proper Masser.

Ironically it's not, it's a sodding Enzo underneath! :lol:

No it isnt, its somewhere between 300 and 400% stiffer in the chassis for a start. A man at Dallara told me that, he also told me that the stiffest chassis in production was the RR Phantom, by quite a long way.

Anyway, back OT - as brillo said, why not a Z4? Its halfway between a Z33 and an SLK for me, not very hairdressery and the 3.5 goes like absolute buggery. M3's are superb but a fair step up from what youre talking about in running costs, at this point Im required by law to mention that the 135i is a much better car as well :lol:

• Like 1

No it isnt, its somewhere between 300 and 400% stiffer in the chassis for a start. A man at Dallara told me that, he also told me that the stiffest chassis in production was the RR Phantom, by quite a long way.

Anyway, back OT - as brillo said, why not a Z4? Its halfway between a Z33 and an SLK for me, not very hairdressery and the 3.5 goes like absolute buggery. M3's are superb but a fair step up from what youre talking about in running costs, at this point Im required by law to mention that the 135i is a much better car as well :lol:

Thanks docwra for putting a Z4 into the mix, great car I agree,

i had thought about one but saw one blazing merrily on the hard shoulder a while back. :scare:

Thanks docwra for putting a Z4 into the mix, great car I agree,

i had thought about one but saw one blazing merrily on the hard shoulder a while back. :scare:

I have also seen on you tube a Lamborghini setting fire to itself, wouldn't stop me from owning one if I had the chance though ;)

• Like 1

Same (albeit modified) chassis, same engine, same gearbox... If it looks like a duck etc :lol:

Interesting about the Phantom, I'd never have put that up there in the stiffest chassis list.

Interesting about the Phantom, I'd never have put that up there in the stiffest chassis list.

I'm not sure if that's true but it makes sense that a heavy car needing a stiffer Chassis, Bentley claimed they had the stiffest convertible chassis. I think I read somewhere that Jaguar said the BMW M5 had the stiffest chassis they'd tested but could be wrong.