Banking with fingerprint login - good or bad thing ?

ATTAK Z

If you look at the amount of hacking of private individuals which is done by technical exploits versus social engineering, I'd say (without the benefit of stats) an exploit of your fingerprint is less risky than a password. So I really wouldn't worry about someone exploiting a technical weak spot of fingerprint authentication on your device, so long as you haven't recently lost your finger and device, and you've not bought it second hand where someone potentially could have monkeyed with it.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/social-engineering-leads-top-10-list-most-popular-hacking-methods-balabit-survey-results-2096149.htm

• Like 1

Good because can never remember my banking app passwords 😡 so use the fingerprint login

But trusting it is another matter, I like the ease of the apps and just getting lazy in old age.

Hackers though love a challenge so no doubt in near future the clever keyboard warriors will get their mitts into one bank.

Reliant on the banks keeping my money secure it's their bloody banking app

Fingers crossed all I can say

Meh. If someone wants to go to that much hassle to get my fingerprint, then they're welcome to the £4.72 I have in my account.

It would be a lot easier to rob me in the street, and that's also far more likely to happen. Fingerprint recognition on the HSBC app is utter genius, makes life so much easier than faffing around tapping in passcodes.

Not really a good ides. ... :scare:

http://www.networkwo...biometrics.html

Thanks, that tells a storey

Yeah, one of increasingly unlikely complex processes! They may as well have added, "North Korea could come and clone you from some used bog roll, grow you in an accelerated growth chamber and use you to top up their electric meter from your Barclays account." Nothing is impenetrable, it's about managing your risk. If the effort it takes to do a hack is high and the potential reward to the crim is low, don't worry.

You wouldn't refuse to drive your car because you might have a tyre go pop on the motorway. And that's a much more likely occurrence and potentially worse consequence :shrug:

Its like anything, you can be robbed if someone has the desire and drive to do it. Was it safer to walk around with £15k in your pocket to view that car to pay by cash? Or even be paid by cash at home where you could easily be robbed, car driven off, fake money passed over etc. Its not 100% but its less dangerous than how we have banked in the past - its probably on par with passwords but fingerprints are just more convenient aren't they?

Easier to get your mobile number and DoB. They can really fleece you then when they PAC your number over to a new SIM.

If you want higher security. Don't use online banking in any form and don't use a debit card.

Simple.

Meh. If someone wants to go to that much hassle to get my fingerprint, then they're welcome to the £4.72 I have in my account.

It would be a lot easier to rob me in the street, and that's also far more likely to happen. Fingerprint recognition on the HSBC app is utter genius, makes life so much easier than faffing around tapping in passcodes.

Which HSBC app uses fingerprint? Mine still wants my passwords

Edit- found it. Thanks a lot. Makes it so much easier logging in now!

Edited by jimboy2
  • Like 1

There's always a weak point in security of this kind and that's what the 'professional' fraudsters target be it the clients device, data in transit, the banks processing systems or the banks data itself.

The article I think bandit posted was 3 years+ old, fintech is moving at a rapid pace and anything innovative 3 years ago is ancient.

Edit: I meant to add anything that requires physics access to the device to exploit is unlikely to be performed by the pro, they are after large volumes of 'targets' with minimal risk associated with it. Anyone who gets compromised by the physical device has some terrible family/friends

Edited by Fodder