Protection for new car

ATTAK Z

I'm buying a new car which will be delivered 1st quarter of 2017 ... it's probably the last 2nd car I'll buy and it'll do very low miles and be a keeper ... the garage is offering the usual protection packages but I think I'll go to my detailer to get it done ... he uses AutoGlym products

I know you guys all have your favourites so please feel free to recommend what you would use and give me a cost estimate please ... the car is a Fiat 500 Riva and it's dark blue metallic

Fiat-500-Riva-0-600x366.jpg

Thanks for any help

I can't actually think of a single AutoGlym product that could match, much less exceed, a decent, modern sealant let alone a coating.

As Dan and Ricey have said, do it properly and look at coatings. My choice would be DIY and Gyeon flavoured but if you're going for a detailer then I'd expect more than something I could do at home so I'd be looking at the range topping SiRamik offering, GTechniq Crystal Serum or Gyeon Mohs Plus (with Durabead... Just because).

As for detailers who use AutoGlym, anyone can call themselves a detailer these days and many do....

I've just bought a new second hand car and they offered me the usual protective coating, which this time was something called life shine from auto Glym. Anyway I said no thank you, they then said they would give it a machine polish for me anyway. Guess what, I said no thanks to that as well ! Haha

• Like 1

SirRamik everytime. Just had it put on (4 weeks ago) on the Zed and the wife's MX5. Stunning results and the beading is mental, just fascinated watching the beading, nothing sticks to the car and it puts a hard protective coat on the vehicle. there is a demo video on YouTube where they put some of the liquid in an egg cup and leave it 24hrs, next day they have a cup of solid glass.

No more buying loads of products. Just bought their detailing spray which is good, and another product that refreshes SirRamik that you use every 6 months. Really rate it, and I have spent thousands on various products over the years.

As above really on a new car get the best protection before any correction is needed.

autoglym stuff is so bulked out (hence why you get all the white chalky residue left behind) the aqua wax is good though if you just doing a quick wash as you apply as you dry the car off.

I use all sorts some meguires is ok, auto finnese stuff is good just pricey, auto perfection ive seen a mate using on his RX7 seems cheaper and just as good.

Edited by Jk-boi

Hugh I think Russ who owns siramik lives in Sheffield. His website is Proreflect I think.

Quite a few of us approved detailers though.

The ATP system is about a £275- £300 uplift on whatever prep is required (usually a single stage polish on a new car)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hugh I think Russ who owns siramik lives in Sheffield. His website is Proreflect I think.

Quite a few of us approved detailers though.

The ATP system is about a £275- £300 uplift on whatever prep is required (usually a single stage polish on a new car)

I've just contacted Russ ... he's going to quote me ... if all is well I'll get the car transported straight to him and pick it up when it's done

So called ceramic coatings are the most durable coatings on the market, but I wouldn't believe all the hype regarding ceramic coatings, they do have much better durability than the usual polymer sealants, a lot are marketed with fancy names and wording to make out they are some amazing hard coating, talk of curing and the need to wet sand them off which I have found to be rubbish, the claims that they last 5 years + are also rubbish,at the end of the day all coatings are just a microscopic layer on your car, the key to keeping your car looking good for longer is a regular safe wash procedure followed by applying a wax/ sealant on a regular basis, you could protect a new car with a cheaper wax and along side that do a good regular wash procedure and it will look better then any car a year later that's had a ceramic coating and a poor wash procedure during its year.

• Like 1

a lot are marketed with fancy names and wording to make out they are some amazing hard coating, talk of curing and the need to wet sand them off which I have found to be rubbish, the claims that they last 5 years + are also rubbish

Go on then, which coating are you talking about then? How do you know the claims are rubbish?

Not having a go - overselling marketing has been around as long as detailing has, certain companies actually rely on it throughout their entire range - I'm just curious as which products you have experience with?

the key to keeping your car looking good for longer is a regular safe wash procedure followed by applying a wax/ sealant on a regular basis, you could protect a new car with a cheaper wax and along side that do a good regular wash procedure and it will look better then any car a year later that's had a ceramic coating and a poor wash procedure during its year.

Similarly look after the car in the same way regardless of what the LSP is, the car with a properly applied coating will look just as good and you've not had to apply wax two dozen times. Horses for courses.

• Like 1

So called ceramic coatings are the most durable coatings on the market, but I wouldn't believe all the hype regarding ceramic coatings, they do have much better durability than the usual polymer sealants, a lot are marketed with fancy names and wording to make out they are some amazing hard coating, talk of curing and the need to wet sand them off which I have found to be rubbish, the claims that they last 5 years + are also rubbish,at the end of the day all coatings are just a microscopic layer on your car, the key to keeping your car looking good for longer is a regular safe wash procedure followed by applying a wax/ sealant on a regular basis, you could protect a new car with a cheaper wax and along side that do a good regular wash procedure and it will look better then any car a year later that's had a ceramic coating and a poor wash procedure during its year.

I've seen ceramic being sanded off. Gtechniq Crystal Cerum in particular.

We as pro detailers have to give a personal warranty (certainly for the SiRamik ATP system that Hugh is having) to cover the 5 years.

Ceramic will only provide protection and durability as well as its looked after. Bladder it with caustic chemicals and using abrasive wash techniques then yes it won't stop you getting swirls and it won't last as long as advertised.

As for durability this is my test car for the baby SiRamik product SC15 (Hugh is having the daddy version). 12 months in and 1 top up coat at 6 months of SC Mist which costs about £19.95 for a bottle.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1866268156935334&id=1483558688539618