Stelvio pass ? Snow chains?

davedutch

I'm going to drive stelvio pass in ten days time and as it's getting to the end of the season so im slightly worried about snow, i should be driving it middle of the day but thinking i should take snow chains to be safe.

The problem is ive got tein lowering springs so 15mm less clearance, any suggestions, i dont really want to put winter tyres on if i can avoid it because i will be sorning the car from Nov - March.

According to the weather its going to snow there at the weekend, so I would be taking chains and snow socks. the Socks won't last on Tarmac only to be used on snow.

if you don't take them and get stuck you will be sorry. I would also pack a shovel and something to put under the wheels for traction . . . like these mats . .

31vOHLxBx3L._AC_UL320_SR268,320_.jpg

As for your ride height . . . get something on the bottom lip for protection as you will just have to pretend you are a snow plough :drive1

• Like 1

First time I did Stelvio it snowed about 8 inches overnight. By the time we came to drive back over it in the morning, 9am ish, they'd had the snow ploughs and gritters out and we got up no problem on standard tyres... And that was with an Elise, 350z, M3 & RX8... Bit of slush here and there but nothing some cautious driving didn't overcome.

If you are doing stelvio make sure you try out the scenic quiet road up there.

From the south head up and just after the top with all the bikers keep going, start heading down and around a few corners and you will see a building with a junction off to the right. Trust me and take it. I'm my opinion this road is far far superior to the main stelvio hair pins and no one uses it.

Got some other road gems I can pass on too. Came back a month ago after our second visit.

Have fun

I understand your reason for not wanting to use winter tyres and indeed when snow and ice are not around they will hamper the driving enjoyment. And yes, I recall from my 370 days chains don't fit.

But, potentially you may fall foul of certain countries rules should you get caught out, it seems, having just done a quick google check:

http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/winter/

Maybe someone on here can help reassure....