How to get rid of moles in garden?

twobears

Just my personal opinion - don't kill it. My other half rescued one that was waddling across the road in broad daylight the other day - just missed being squished by a car. Beautiful little thing and better alive than dead. Find a non lethal solution if you can. (Try the bulbs suggested above).

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

image_zps6wgwtgoh.jpeg

Some Cats are really good at catching Moles, I find several dead ones every year in our garden. Although I've never witnessed any of our cats catching one I've seen them sitting next to molehills for hours on end. Just recently I've also found a couple of dead Stoats, not many cats will tackle them but little Rosie actually brought one home for her kittens to feast on :surrender:

Pete

Where my dad lives he's surrounded by farmland, so gets atacked from all sides ! That jasper carrot sketch made me laugh, as my dad tried bottles in the ground, bought his own traps and even had more success with his shotgun once, than jasper ! I'm Sorry. Though now he just leaves it to the local mole catcher.

Some Cats are really good at catching Moles ............

Pete

Our cat Dave knocks off about 15-20 a year I reckon, but never eats them - apparently they taste quite bitter (christ knows who found that one out) :lol:

What I dont know is how he catches them, hes pretty @*!# at being a cat (cant jump more than about 3 feet in the air, scared of heights, has been known to fall over while walking across lounge), surely he doesnt just sit there and wait all day?

• Like 1

My cat's never bought in anything larger than a mouse. In fact she normally limits herself to small shrews. No interest in moles at all.

I'm still procrastinating. Got a number for a mole catcher (both sexes of moles catered for presumably Flex :lol: ) and tomorrow I'm going to the farm store where they sell traps of all kinds to get some rabbit-proof mesh to put on the one fence that doesn't have any on already but will I take any action? Dunno :blush: Maybe I should drop my iPad into the run and play Jasper Carrott clips to the moles on an eternal loop? Could work? :wacko:

My cat's never bought in anything larger than a mouse. In fact she normally limits herself to small shrews. No interest in moles at all.

Full grown rabbits, pigeons that youd think twice about challenging to a fight and a pheasant once, fortunately he couldnt get that through the catflap, it was about as big as he is :lol:

• Like 1

We had a labrador that would catch moles , often smell them out hiding in the long grass but dug a couple up a well , used to pick them up and then spit them out initially but eventually just ate them :)

When we lived in Singapore we had a Siamese cat that dragged a very large and very angry Cobra into into our kitchen , needless to say my mum made a swift exit with me in tow , bringing snakes and lizards in was a regular occurrence and usually still alive

Pete

Our cat Dave knocks off about 15-20 a year I reckon, but never eats them - apparently they taste quite bitter (christ knows who found that one out) :lol:

What I dont know is how he catches them, hes pretty @*!# at being a cat (cant jump more than about 3 feet in the air, scared of heights, has been known to fall over while walking across lounge), surely he doesnt just sit there and wait all day?

Some cats aren't interested, most in fact, but one of our cats gets 3 or 4 a year, as you say, they don't eat them and they don't even bring them home. For cats its just an instinct to catch them, ours catch dozens of shrews but apparently they only ever eat the first one they catch. Going back to moles, the closest molehills are about 50 yards away in an open field so I often see them just sitting by a molehill, I guess they can detect movement underground.

Pete

Full grown rabbits, pigeons that youd think twice about challenging to a fight and a pheasant once, fortunately he couldnt get that through the catflap, it was about as big as he is :lol:

One of ours had a fully grown rabbit a few weeks ago and that's a first for our house. She's also the smallest cat we have and is the same one that caught the stoats. About 10 years ago I came home and found a fully grown male pheasant in the kitchen (dead) so maybe you need a bigger catflap :lol: . I would imagine the pheasant was already dead or sick for a cat to get it. When I was in my teens, one of my mums cats brought in 3 baby rabbits at the same time, he was kinda pushing them along. As it happened 2 of them were still alive so I released them over the fields.

Pete

Pete

Some cats aren't interested, most in fact, but one of our cats gets 3 or 4 a year, as you say, they don't eat them and they don't even bring them home. For cats its just an instinct to catch them, ours catch dozens of shrews but apparently they only ever eat the first one they catch. Going back to moles, the closest molehills are about 50 yards away in an open field so I often see them just sitting by a molehill, I guess they can detect movement underground.

Pete

Yep. Seen our old cat catch a mole. Could see him listening and slowly stalking an invisible thing, then he stopped and waited upright rather than crouched, the mole started to surface and if you've ever seen documentary footage of a polar bear leaping and punching through snow or ice after a seal, that's the closest I can describe it. In with the claws and hoke it out. Then do the usual, bat it about a bit, feign indifference, then bat it about again cycle until it's dead. Nature red in tooth and claw.

What I'd have liked to know is how he caught the long eared bat he left at our doorstep one time.

Edited by PiGFoetus
  • Like 1

What I'd have liked to know is how he caught the long eared bat he left at our doorstep one time.

Thats easy:

Amazing work on the mole catching though, one day Im going to follow him and probably finish up watching him sleep all day. Been trying to convince him he can take down a deer, I love a bit of Venison me.

• Like 1

About three years ago I got up one morning and two of the lawns were covered in mole hills. Fortunately for me a few days later one of my cats presented me with the mole! They usually eat their catch but moles are clearly too tough! It has taken a huge amount of time for the lawn to recover and it's only just about sorted out now. My other half reckons you should save up urine and pour it down the holes! I have never heard that one before or tried it but let us know if you do and it works...........

About three years ago I got up one morning and two of the lawns were covered in mole hills. Fortunately for me a few days later one of my cats presented me with the mole! They usually eat their catch but moles are clearly too tough! It has taken a huge amount of time for the lawn to recover and it's only just about sorted out now. My other half reckons you should save up urine and pour it down the holes! I have never heard that one before or tried it but let us know if you do and it works...........

That would make for an unusual 'To Do' list

Go to Sainsburys

Iron shirts

Make packed lunches

Wee on some moles :wacko::lol:

Edited by twobears

<a%20href=<a%20href=

Thats easy:

Amazing work on the mole catching though, one day Im going to follow him and probably finish up watching him sleep all day. Been trying to convince him he can take down a deer, I love a bit of Venison me.

Could have done with a hand from that cat when I found this slumbering on the landing a few weeks ago

http://IMG_0858.jpg

Actually we put him outside and he flew off to catch some more insects for us :D