How to get rid of moles in garden?

twobears

I've got a huge problem with moles. They are completely ruining the lawn. There were over 100 molehills out there when I counted them yesterday. It's not just that they have made the back lawn look more like the Somme, it's also making it impossible to mow. I've got a Mountfield mower with a toothed belt and the moles are bringing flints and large stones to the surface which could easily cause the belt to break because it obviously doesn't slip if the blades catch on a stone. It is expensive to get it replaced if it does break but I chose this model because it's got really good grass collecting capability.

So, does anyone know any way of getting rid of moles? I've resigned myself to the idea that I'll have to take the nuclear option, even though I hate the thought of it, because everyone I've spoken to says the electronic deterrents and other 'home remedies' don't work. I've no idea how many moles are out there but I'm guessing there are a lot and if I do get a mole catcher to deal with them will the moles just keep coming back? Well, different moles anyway? Do all the runs join up like a mole version of the M25?

If anyone has experience in pest control I'd be very grateful for advice. Thanks :)

I don't think I could kill them myself :surrender: I will feel terrible asking someone else to do it but I can't have mole blood on my hands. I've seen one above ground. It had got into the duck enclosure for some reason and they were chasing it, presumably with a view to a lovely afternoon snack :scare: It was beautiful, so shiny and cute. I keep thinking they might give up and go somewhere else but I'm probably kidding myself.

When we used to live in North Yorkshire when I was a kid we had a problem with a Mole for awhile, ...I remember my oldman running out into the garden with a shovel trying to kill it as it dug up the garden for the hundredth time. :scare::lol:

It eventually went of its own accord or my oldman actually did manage to kill it but just never told anyone. :dry::D

I'd say get a professional in to catch & release it for you or buy a trap yourself to do the same (you don't have to kill it). :thumbs:

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pest-Stop-Humane-Mole-Trap/dp/B000YPXJJU

LOL! i know the feeling, and also the first thing i thought of was the Jasper Carrot mole saga, despite the mass of hills i suspect that its down to just one or two moles...they don't mix well,

i used to get some respite by pouring white spirit down the holes, they really don't like strong smells, however it wont get rid of them, you can try the humane traps, but most people end up resorting to a mole catcher who will kill them with traps,

i was lucky i managed to catch mine...little bugger would keep coming up and scuttling about on the surface when i was digging in the garden, the second time i had a plastic container handy, so i caught him and he went for a little ride down to a farmers field down the road, where he could cause as much havoc as he liked.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Moles are extremely territorial, except in the mating season, so you probably only have one mole.

Find a new mole hill and simply remove soil and fit a trap in the run.

If fitting the vertical scissor type trap, you will know from just looking at it if it has sprung, but no guarantee that you have a catch.

I have found that any thing but a kill is the only way that really works.

Have a read here: http://www.molecatch...t_the_mole.html

Edited by ZMANALEX

Moles are extremely territorial, except in the mating season, so you probably only have one mole.

Find a new mole hill and simply remove soil and fit a trap in the run.

If fitting the vertical scissor type trap, you will know from just looking at it if it has sprung, but no guarantee that you have a catch.

I have found that any thing but a kill is the only way that really works.

Have a read here: http://www.molecatch...t_the_mole.html

Thanks very much for the link to that article. It was really informative and I can see why a mole is a formidable enemy now. I'll see if Mr Twobears will have a go at trapping them but I really can't bring myself to do it. Hypocritical I know but I just can't :blush:

We've had quite a few moles in our time living next to farm land. I bought many types of traps but only the odd one worked. Tried smoking them out that failed also. The only true fix I've had is a local farmer had a license to use some form of poison capsules of which he rolled down a tube and into the hole. All quite brutal but it worked. Barstewards are like clockwork coming back year after year however.