So the Zed has gone, Cayman S (987.1)?

roscopervis

I've been thinking I might get a 987.2 Cayman or 997.2 in a year or two and have been keeping an eye out.

The 996 isn't really my cup of tea but I said the same about the 964 years ago and so didn't buy one, now I would love a 964 they are just way too expensive! When you see nice 996s for low prices I certainly wonder if they might be a good investment? I happened to notice this one on eBay:

2002 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA 4S midnight blue wide body turbo amg rs4 etc

That is a nice one. I think they are a decent potential investment - I can't see them going much lower at least and the 993's have gone up a lot in the last year. Has to be more sensible than a M135i???

I've been thinking I might get a 987.2 Cayman or 997.2 in a year or two and have been keeping an eye out.

The 996 isn't really my cup of tea but I said the same about the 964 years ago and so didn't buy one, now I would love a 964 they are just way too expensive! When you see nice 996s for low prices I certainly wonder if they might be a good investment? I happened to notice this one on eBay:

2002 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA 4S midnight blue wide body turbo amg rs4 etc

That is a nice one. I think they are a decent potential investment - I can't see them going much lower at least and the 993's have gone up a lot in the last year. Has to be more sensible than a M135i???

M135i almost certainly, 135i Coupe maybe not - Im convinced that people will wake up to the fact there are less than 1000 RHD N54 engine models (the twin turbo) and prices will start appreciating for decent low milers. There were only 450 UK 1M's and look at their prices ...........

More fun and more special than an M135i though, I personally preferred the 996 C4S to the 997S/C4S and that Blue one is lovely :thumbs:

Maybe just rumours but have heard some people are not exactly friendly towards Porsche drivers. Never experienced anything in any of my previous cars but our F11 520d does seem to get peoples backs up.

Ive not noticed any negativity since I bought my Porsche back in May.

You do get lots and lots and lots (and i mean LOTS) of attention though. Blokes seem to stop and stare at it. People will nearly crash their cars as they are too busy looking at it. Women, on the other hand, seem to have absolutely no idea what it is as ive lost count of of the number of women who have asked "errrr, what car is that?"

The only car I ever noticed any hostility towards was actually my 350z HR Roadster. I actually had random strangers shouting "w@nker" at me more than once, for doing nothing other than driving along normally.

• 1 month later...

I so am buying a Porsche as my next car and thinking too either the Cayman or 996.

Driven both and got to have one. So far no regrets really in my life and don't intend not having a Porsche at some stage to be my first !!

Interesting reading this thread - sounds like I will be having to take some advise at the time too as I would not like to losing an arm and leg in finances.

I love the 996 exterior, but do think the interior quite dire.............although the Investment might further my interest on this.!! ;):lol:

Just got to sell my house first - downsizing, releasing funds - then finally Porsche time - been waiting so many years for my Porsche ownership.

Only as I have gotten older do I finally appreciate why it is nearly always the older ones who own/drive the really good cars. :lol:

Only as I have gotten older do I finally appreciate why it is nearly always the older ones who own/drive the really good cars. :lol:

I think its mainly because they can afford them ;)

I was at Spa on a posh trackday the other day and was positively infant spec at 37 years old :lol:

• Like 2

I have had 3 x 996's and a 986.... C2,C4 and a C4s..

I found the paranoia of the engine grenading at any time really took the fun out of them for me..

I honestly think the myth is much better than the reality,the era that these cars were built in was a low point for Porsche..Ekona has covered all the main points,there is a myriad of other bits that fall off,stop working or leak that cost plenty..

A 987 2 i think would be a nice piece of kit....

And the new Cayman is just awesome.....One on my list to own in the next 18 months when prices have reduced a bit more...

New as in the 718? Great car, but I couldn't live with that noise when a 981.1 is available that's 98% as good but with a more characterful engine.

I think if I did my research and inspection, then followed sensible warming up & cooling down methods properly, I could quite happily enjoy an M96/97 engined car without worry. Never having been in that position though, I couldn't say for sure. What I do know is that any engine from an expensive car has the ability to give you big bills, and odd noises never get any less worrying :lol:

I meant the 981...

I agree on the engine thing but for a car that could be £5000 a £10,000 bill off Hartech is a big pill to swallow..

Ok if it had 400-500bhp I could accept it.. but for a relatively low power NA engine I think the repair bills are awful..

Even if you spend £20,000+ on a 997.1 or late 996 C4S you don't get any better reliability ... worse in fact..

In ownership if the worse that could happen was £2500-£3000 to get the car back on the road then I think ownership would be feasible..

The paranoia really got to me... and I despise poor engineering which all in all have me bad juju..

Lol..

It is around that cost though: Hartech aren't cheap because they're the best, and you can save cash by only repairing affected cylinders (although I'd definitely do the lot!) etc.

Depends who you use and what you want done. But I do take your point that for some people it's not a risk they want to take, which is absolutely fair enough.

Maybe just rumours but have heard some people are not exactly friendly towards Porsche drivers. Never experienced anything in any of my previous cars but our F11 520d does seem to get peoples backs up.

Ive not noticed any negativity since I bought my Porsche back in May.

You do get lots and lots and lots (and i mean LOTS) of attention though. Blokes seem to stop and stare at it. People will nearly crash their cars as they are too busy looking at it......

Had to add to this that some woman did actually crash her new Audi Q3 last night whilst reversing and staring at my Porsche at the same time. I stood there and watched as she literally reversed straight back into a lamp post. She wasnt even remotely looking where she was going as she was transfixed by my car. Mad! :lol:

After much consideration, driving and internal conflict I ended up going for a Porsche Cayman S 987.1 with the 3.4 M97 engine. Yes this is one of the main ones that can get bore scraping so that is something to keep a close eye on, but so far so good.

Initially I was looking at E46 and E90/92 M3's, Audi S4's (3.0 supercharged), a Porsche 996 911 and the Cayman. The BMW's are great cars, the E46 is more practical with a bigger fuel tank, the E90 is faster and more expensive to run, but they are both heavy. The same goes for the S4, which can be remapped to 470 bhp quite easily but is not particularly involving. Chris Harris drives both an S4 and a Cayman on roads near me which also helped make my mind up.

So it boiled down to the Porsches. They drive quite differently but are very similar in terms of straight line power. The Cayman however is excellent at handling. The 996 911 has challenging and rewarding traits, which may be more rewarding potentially in the long term but the Cayman is spot on immediately. Steering feel, balance, poise and the controls all feel right and I prefer the way they drive. So that was that and I had to find the right one.

I ended up with a Basalt Black 2006 (MY2007) Cayman S with lots of spec. Some of it I didn't want, but it was the balance of everything and condition of the car that sold it to me. It has 997 Turbo 19" wheels so it's a good thing it has PASM, Sport Chrono, unfortunately it has BOSE too which isn't very good. It had also just recently been detailed and coated with GTechiq C1 ceramic coating so it should help it look spic and span for a while.

I had an inspection done which found no bore scoring and everything in very good condition generally. It does need a new aircon condenser but that was used to negotiate the price down somewhat.

I haven't had a chance to take any decent pictures of it yet, so I'll put up what I have.