So the Zed has gone, Cayman S (987.1)?

roscopervis

So in a quite dramatic turn of events I have sold the Zed back to Ian and am now missing having a nice car already. It all happened rather quickly. For some reason, I'm getting drawn to these Cayman's.

So far I know I want a manual 'S' on 18" wheels, non sat nav stereo and sport seats. I also know that the 2005-2007 cars that are in my budget (up to £16k) may be prone to IMS bearing issues. I will be getting an independent assessment done on the car - anyone know who are good to do these?

Any other advice, websites/forums to read will be gladly accepted. Also comparisons of how they are compared to a DE Zed will be interestingly read

I am also keeping 996's at the back of my mind but I'm guessing they'll be more expensive in terms of maintenance, though I'm willing to listen.

Thanks guys.

I went from a Boxster 986S to the Z.

Porsche was fine. Didnt give me any real problems in the 18 months I had it. But i did worry about the IMS and the mass of other faults they can come up with!

So I went from sleepless nights worrying about the Boxster to the Z. Made the right decission. Loved the Boxster but love the Z more! Better looking and no major worries.

Z for me every time!

Miss my old mk3 mx5 more than the Boxster. The mx5 was like a go cart!

HEIL EKONA

Ahem.

First off, great choice in spec, that would pretty much be my exact pick too :D IMS you can't check (realistically) so maybe fit an IMS Guardian if you're particularly paranoid, but honestly I don't think I'd bother. Bore scoring/d-chunk is a bigger issue, in terms of inspection then I'd speak to Mike at Sports & Classic in the first instance as he's the go-to guy for stuff like that. There are others though, depends where you are in the country.

996 will be cheaper to run, although you'll probably need to replace a few more age-related bits. Both cars will cost roughly the same as the Zed over the course of ownership (my 997.2 cost me no more than my 350). www.planet-9.com is the place to go for info on the 987 cars, US-based but the info is staggering. Nice people too.

In terms of the drive, they'll wee all over a 350 or 370 from a rather large height. Steering control, chassis feedback, driving position, brake feel... It's all a cut above. Engine doesn't sound like an anaemic hamster either! Wonderful, wonderful cars.

If it were me, I'd take a 996 over a 987. Mostly because rear-engined cars are simply hysterical when you get used to the weight transfer, and it takes a bit longer to learn too so you always feel like the car has something to offer you. That said, the 996 styling (inside and out) isn't for everyone, which is putting it nicely :lol: Each to their own, both cars immense, just make you you're happy with the inspection before you buy.

• Like 3

2.9 isn't a DFI engine, and tbh isn't very exciting at all. The 2.7 is a better lump.

I respectfully disagree completely with this comment. It is an exciting engine, that loves to rev and sounds great. Better than the gen 1 2.7. On paper it is as quick as the gen 1 S but does require more work, which isn't a problem for me as that's part of the fun.

I've just sold my 2.9 to fund a house purchase, but it's a cracking car and engine. Carnewal is a must have mod to open up the exhaust noise.

Planet 9 or 911UK. PH section is also pretty good. Don't bother with the beards on PCGB though.

The trouble with the PH section is that there are some very strong opinions in there, and that most conversation seems to be about the latest and "best". Hundreds of threads about GT4, now the 718, etc.

I respectfully disagree completely with this comment. It is an exciting engine, that loves to rev and sounds great. Better than the gen 1 2.7. On paper it is as quick as the gen 1 S but does require more work, which isn't a problem for me as that's part of the fun.

I've just sold my 2.9 to fund a house purchase, but it's a cracking car and engine. Carnewal is a must have mod to open up the exhaust noise.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement :p

The 2.9 hated to rev, never got any more exciting at the top end, no DFI, the only thing it had going for it was the removal of the IMS. I mean, the car as a whole is better with the PCM3 and the vastly-improved PASM (if optioned), but I found the engine to be very weak. Was yours a PDK or manual? The test car I had for a day was a manual, which maybe just didn't suit the lump.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement :p

The 2.9 hated to rev, never got any more exciting at the top end, no DFI, the only thing it had going for it was the removal of the IMS. I mean, the car as a whole is better with the PCM3 and the vastly-improved PASM (if optioned), but I found the engine to be very weak. Was yours a PDK or manual? The test car I had for a day was a manual, which maybe just didn't suit the lump.

It's odd that you had such a different experience to me. How many miles had it done? Mine was a manual, and I took it from 18k to 25k miles. I love cars with peaky power delivery, had a couple of type R and an exige NA before it, and found the Cayman liked to rev just as much. The delivery was more linear, so not the same kick they had, but still very good. Most criticism of the 2.9 is lack of torque, which I find a nonsense anyway as it's a sports car.

Looking at more and more 3.6 996's as I just can't find the right Cayman. I know that the 3.4 Cayman engine has a major bore scraping issue, how is the 3.6 in the 911 with this issue? I know that the 3.4 Cayman engine's IMS is pretty much sorted. How about on the 996's? All these engines seem to have some major issues!!

It's odd that you had such a different experience to me. How many miles had it done? Mine was a manual, and I took it from 18k to 25k miles. I love cars with peaky power delivery, had a couple of type R and an exige NA before it, and found the Cayman liked to rev just as much. The delivery was more linear, so not the same kick they had, but still very good. Most criticism of the 2.9 is lack of torque, which I find a nonsense anyway as it's a sports car.

It was brand spanky new, I think I had it with about 9 miles on and gave it back with over 200 :lol: I just found it had zero charisma, none of the lumpyness that the M96/7 had but none of the revvy nature the DFI 9A1 engines had. It was just average, which I didn't expect at all.

Maybe they loosened up a lot with mileage, I don't know. I only ever drove the one, never felt the urge to revisit it.

Looking at more and more 3.6 996's as I just can't find the right Cayman. I know that the 3.4 Cayman engine has a major bore scraping issue, how is the 3.6 in the 911 with this issue? I know that the 3.4 Cayman engine's IMS is pretty much sorted. How about on the 996's? All these engines seem to have some major issues!!

Don't believe the IMS issue is sorted for a second: It's not! The later revisions by Porsche were better, but could still easily fail. Any IMS engine is a risk, which is why I suggest getting a really leggy 100k+ one as if it hasn't gone by now, then it's very unlikely to.

It's the same engine in the 3.4 as it is in the 3.6, however the bores are bigger so the walls thinner so you can guess how much more likely scoring is to occur ;) Again though, as long as you get an inspection and don't expect to put a billion miles on it in a year then it's just another check you'd add into the service, and keep an eye on it. If the car is showing no scoring at all, then it's likely to be good for years to come. If it's showing a bit then you have haggle room, if it's awful then walk away or pick it up for peanuts and take it to Hartech.

I've been thinking I might get a 987.2 Cayman or 997.2 in a year or two and have been keeping an eye out.

The 996 isn't really my cup of tea but I said the same about the 964 years ago and so didn't buy one, now I would love a 964 they are just way too expensive! When you see nice 996s for low prices I certainly wonder if they might be a good investment? I happened to notice this one on eBay:

2002 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA 4S midnight blue wide body turbo amg rs4 etc

• Like 1