The clicking rear driveshaft issue

AndySpak

Can anyone explain what the clicking rear driveshaft fault sounds like in more detail please? When I pull off my driveway (forward or reverse), I get noises from the back of my car but it sounds very much like small stones that have been stuck in my tyre tread working their way loose and rattling round in the wheel arches.

Is this the sound the fault creates or am I worrying about nothing?

Can anyone explain what the clicking rear driveshaft fault sounds like in more detail please? When I pull off my driveway (forward or reverse), I get noises from the back of my car but it sounds very much like small stones that have been stuck in my tyre tread working their way loose and rattling round in the wheel arches.

Is this the sound the fault creates or am I worrying about nothing?

I'm thinking about this too - I sometimes get a slight crack from the rear, as if I've just driven over a small twig or something..?

But then, I always tend to get cracks and creaks from the rear, especially when reversing out of the drive, and onto the road. (slighly different heights etc)

Still under warranty for another 18 months (extended) so not too worried just yet

just had mine in at nissan and they say they'v done quite a few and its always the housings and bearings on the driveshafts about £770 to fix out of warranty! luckily nissan are payin for all the parts for me so just got to pay labour of £220 O and 31pence :lol: (im out off warranty)

so anyone out off warranty with the problem should contact nissan customer care and they should help u out!!! :thumbs:

one bloke on here was sayin he even got the lot payed for and he was out of warranty, lucky b&$t&rd :lol:

just had mine in at nissan and they say they'v done quite a few and its always the housings and bearings on the driveshafts about £770 to fix out of warranty! luckily nissan are payin for all the parts for me so just got to pay labour of £220 O and 31pence :lol: (im out off warranty)

so anyone out off warranty with the problem should contact nissan customer care and they should help u out!!! :thumbs:

one bloke on here was sayin he even got the lot payed for and he was out of warranty, lucky b&$t&rd :lol:

no chance for us jdm owners........ :(

there is something else that creaks from the rear end but can't remember what it was. Bigphil changed the offending item on his car.

something like rear torsion bar

creaking is from the rear drop links on the anti roll bar, easily solved with a bit of spray grease into the bottom joint. We do it as a matter of course now on any service.

there is something else that creaks from the rear end but can't remember what it was. Bigphil changed the offending item on his car.

creaking is from the rear drop links on the anti roll bar, easily solved with a bit of spray grease into the bottom joint. We do it as a matter of course now on any service.

thanks phil :thumbs:

thanks phil :thumbs:

Pics of the offending part.

IMG_1997_50pc.jpg

IMG_1994_50pc.jpg

When you have this problem, how often do you hear it and under what conditions?

I also occasionally hear what I would describe as small stones rattling around the rear wheel arch when driving, and I assumed thats what it was. It doesnt happen very often and didnt bother me, but I this has got me thinking.

As I was thinking of selling (not so sure now) and ive only got 6 months warranty left I dont want to be stuck with a problem out of warranty. It's booked in for a service next week, so should maybe I just get them to check it, though im not sure that there is anything wrong...

It is a clicking noise normally when pulling away. You will probably need the window down to spot it.

As for the rattling, sometimes stones can get caught in the heatshield by the brakes, check that out first. If it is still doing it, then get the dealer out in the car when you are driving it and get it logged on the service report.

Selling? Why, if you know about the current car? An extended warranty can be bought from Nissan for piece of mind (£900 for another two years) and you will certainly pay more than that for a 'newer' car that you will know nothing about. :)

hard to do so unless your an accomplished mechanic as the problem can vary slightly with cars!!! im out of warranty by a year but nissan are still going to pay for the parts, iv just got to pay for 221 pounds worth of labour not bad really as parts are £600!!

in my case its the housing and bearings on each driveshaft so give nissan customer care a call!!! unless your an import, then forget it :lol:

:thumbs:

yeh im jdm so thats out the window................. :surrender:

mmmmmmmmmmm i want to sort the problem but just investigating the options...........

:blush:

any ideas lads............... :)

sensible ones only........... :dry:

c mon traders.............. can you help......... :)

i asked the same question on here some said it was the driveshafts others said it was the CV joints ended up being housings and bearings!!!

best bet is to go to nissan for the diagnostics should only cost you £45-£80 depending on dealer then they will tell you exactly the fault (which you'll recoup if you have work done with them)!!

thats the way id go :thumbs: