Anybody travelled and worked on the go?

Ollydykins

Hey guys and gals, me and my girlfriend are doing South Asia next year, along with Vietnam etc, and then heading over to Australia, quitting the jobs, the lot. And want to work in Australia to extend our travelling time and experience before coming back to the boring 9-5 (or in my case 6pm-6am), save up for a house bla bla bla.

Would love to speak to anybody who has done this first hand ? :)

Thanks

Olly

Did exactly the same but in Europe, which caused a few issues when work was required specifically due to speaking the lingo. We planned on 14 countries and out of the 4 we selected for work, we struggled. We even had issues when in Spain believe it or not.

It wasn't until we hit south east Spain where we could get work, these were centred around resorts being full of English. We had to work in Benidorm (bloody hated it, never will I go there again!). Then when we headed to Ibiza work was fine.

Europe unless you have a language gets you nowhere.

As you're doing Australia I'd concentrate on doing your work stint there. You'll find it a lot easier to find work. Secondly Europe is seasonal especially in the resorts and so we struggled at first to find work (arrived in Spain late May), mainly as the majority of jobs had already gone. Whether you'll experience that in Oz I don't know.

• Like 1

Don't you need a work permit visa to work in Australia?? We been looking at emigrating to Australia, the visa applications are not straight forwards, and you need to have a job in place before you go....Working on a tourist Visa is illegal, though you could appear on the latest episode of 'Border force' :). Oh don't forget housing costs, Sydney is MORE expensive than London, so you might find your self working 12hr shifts just to pay for housing rather than enjoying the trip.

Quiting jobs and spending money travelling seems like the worst thing to do if your saving for a house??

Edited by gangzoom

I've done this and it screwed me up mentally. I was lucky that they kept my job when I came back but my perspective on life has totally changed. I hate the 9 to 5 job and all I want to do now is travel and see the world. I severely lack the motivation to progress in my career after the travelling as I was so much healthier and happier living on shoestring budget.

Edited by Banz
  • Like 1

What Banz said!

I travelled in South America for a year, my only regret was not getting a TEFL qualification before I went, I could have earned well all, as I needed. On the upside, it meant I couldn't work in a job that paid more than board, so I didn't work at all.

• Like 1

Oh don't forget housing costs, Sydney is MORE expensive than London, so you might find your self working 12hr shifts just to pay for housing rather than enjoying the trip.

Most of the major cities is Australia are more expensive than London, but the wages are much more in line with cost of living so it's quite relative. Whilst it is expensive to be a tourist in Oz, it's not so bad if you're working there. Also when you get to know a few of the locals you soon find the less touristy places that are cheaper. Or just do your homework, they're not actually that difficult to find.

Think my missus was on $25 an hour answering the phones in some call centre in Sydney.

It can definitely help you extend your travels if you can stock the coffers up at some point.

I was too old to work ......hence me being exceptionally poor these days :lol:

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

My wife did the whole working in Oz thing before I met her - from what she told me its really hard work and you have to be willing to blag your way through stuff to get the job. She worked as a chambermaid, kitchen staff, and lots of other tourism based work. A lot of the work is not sociable hours, so she found herself working evenings or such early mornings she slept during the day. Pay wasn't great, they knew that English working tourists are desperate for work and take advantage. She did find some time to go party and enjoy Oz, but no where near as much as she envisaged as she was working 6 days a week.

It all sounds depressing but really it is character building and she has life long friends now in Oz.

Thankyou guys! :D I'm only 22 so hopefully I'll have youth on my side. My cousin went for 3 years just working the BBQ 4 nights a week which paid for his hostel and a bit left over so I was just seeing if anybody else had the same experience. I've NEVER had anybody come back from Australia and say they will never go back, but I suppose everybody is different, I did Asia for 3 weeks last year, but was no where near enough. Really opened up my eyes to how short life is, I'm doing this BEFORE I get a house, as I felt as soon as you'd get the house, you'd be wanting to spend money on that, rather than travelling, and never get round to doing it again. I rented a house (with my hellhound of an ex) for 8 months so I know how expensive running a house is.

Olly

• Like 1

My wife and I lived and worked abroad in our mid thirties in Tokyo and Paris for three years, its never too late to go do this sort of thing ;) and yes we did own a property at the time.

Certainly travel is quite tempting at your age, but honestly never feel like once you do something like buy a property that is the end of it :)

Thankyou guys! :D I'm only 22 so hopefully I'll have youth on my side. My cousin went for 3 years just working the BBQ 4 nights a week which paid for his hostel and a bit left over so I was just seeing if anybody else had the same experience. I've NEVER had anybody come back from Australia and say they will never go back, but I suppose everybody is different, I did Asia for 3 weeks last year, but was no where near enough. Really opened up my eyes to how short life is, I'm doing this BEFORE I get a house, as I felt as soon as you'd get the house, you'd be wanting to spend money on that, rather than travelling, and never get round to doing it again. I rented a house (with my hellhound of an ex) for 8 months so I know how expensive running a house is.

Olly

At your age go for it, your got a whole life time of mortgages/bills etc ahead :).

I took a year out in my late 20's to travel.

Did not work during this time, thought about it loads mind !!!

Only thing I would say, I have never settled properly since. Just want to constantly travel and experience the world.

I would however to exactly the same again.

Good Luck.

Yeah, after my mere 3 weeks of travelling I can't get it off my

Mind !! And that's what I've thought, I want to go away with no responsibility (just be a crazy kid) I know I've got the next 40 years (probably more with retirement age extending every year) of working, paying for bills etc.

Olly

My sister is in Aus at the moment. Don't really know the ins and outs of it but I know she's has just completed her 90 days of farming to allow her to stay there for another year. She's under 30 so might be on that working visa. She described it as slavery haha.

But she absolutely loves it out there. Don't think she will ever come back

• Like 1

I've NEVER had anybody come back from Australia and say they will never go back,

While I wouldn't say i would never go back, I would not try and do the working visa bit again. The reality is:

- Everyone has the same idea and there is loads of competition for work and the employers know this.

- Going daily to job agencies to see if they had any vacancies that only seemed to offer manual labour/catering/charity work to holiday visa holders, any job deemed "good" was reserved for people staying longer.

- The hostels vary massively, do your research first before booking.

- Everything is expensive. We were surprised by the cost of living (food/drink) and ended up eating alot of fastfood to keep expenses down. Some days living off just super-noodles and boxed wine.

I went with 2 mates and we started in Perth as we knew a mutual friend there who got us sorted with a postal address, sim-cards etc then after struggling to find any work we flew to Sydney and ended up in Townsville on a farm. The heat, the backbreaking fruit picking, the spiders.... nah.

Made some great memories but could have achieved most of it by just being tourists and staying in hostels.

Edited by Sargara
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys, so maybe it's changed quite a bit since my cousin went, probably depends on who you know then? But even if it is so bad, is it really as bad as working in the uk? You'd really have to step back and think surely, fruit picking in Australia, or In My case, being in a factory for 12 hours a day

Olly

• Like 1

Everyones different Olly, and everyones experiences will be different too! I just wanted to add my input to add some balance to the discussion, didn't mean to try and put you off because at the end of the day I'm glad i went, i just don't think id do the working visa route again.

In hindsight i would save up more money first rather than thinking "i'll just work while I'm there and it will pay for itself" because it limited our options, I would have liked to have seen more/done more day trips etc. I also would have stayed longer in Perth and less in Sydney, i preferred it.