Finally a car - Introducing Maxine on P4

The Bounty Bar Kid

Now add £3.5+K to the price of that for the inevitable engine build he'll need. :dry::lol:

That's why they're so cheap and I'm avoiding like the plague.

I think I'm stuck between the 206 gti 180 and the 207 gti. Plan is after we're married and we've got our house, I could look at a new Alfa Romeo mito. Love the look of them.

Or get a small engined fiat 500 or something and only pay 8p per mile so I get 32p per mile back from them and bank the extra.

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid

Gti6 or Clio docwra?

GTI-6, Ive had 3 and although the interior is dated these days the performance and handling are still as good as anything. I replaced all of the suspension with OE stuff a few years ago, chucked good tyres and brakepads on it and used to say that on anything other than a racetrack it was pretty much as quick as my Zed, they got it right with that one for sure.

• Like 1

Yer deffo under rated. Mine had bilstein suspension etc and the only thing that was close to me on the twisties is my brothers 205 gti. On an open road though the 6 is hardly blistering but the way the engine revs with the 6 speed box it never felt slow at all. Great fun. Always wanted a supercharged one

I think I'm stuck between the 206 gti 180 and the 207 gti. Plan is after we're married and we've got our house, I could look at a new Alfa Romeo mito. Love the look of them.

Or get a small engined fiat 500 or something and only pay 8p per mile so I get 32p per mile back from them and bank the extra.

Tbh I think that would be my choice.

Save the extra cash and then you can get something properly special for yourself after you're married & settled. ;)

• Like 2

Tbh I think that would be my choice.

Save the extra cash and then you can get something properly special for yourself after you're married & settled. ;)

Decided on this. Gonna stick with what I know for now and get the GTi 180. Can't wait to have a car again that doesn't take an age to get to 60. I think Jemma's car is 0-60 in 14 secs.

Not a fan of its looks and want something low mileage so it might last longer with less problems. Touch wood.

Fair enough on the looks point but for reliability Hondas will beat Peugeots into a bloody mess. :lol:;)

When I got my 2003 CTR it had around 95K miles on it, ...I sold it 3 years later with roughly 115-119K miles on it and in that 3 years I never had to spend a penny on it other than for oil changes, some new tyres & brake pads.

Good look with the Pug if you get one. :thumbs:

My family seems to have had quite a few Peugeots over the years and they have actually been much cheaper to run than the long list of VW`s we have also had.

Peugeot 205 Gti - 18 months of motoring, needed just 1 new handbrake cable. 130k on clock when sold.

Peugeot 106 Diesel - Did 80k miles over 3 years. Needed 2 new ball joints, glow plugs & diesel shut off valve. Sold it with 160k on the clock.

Peugeot 306 Dturbo - Did 70k over 5 years, brake light switch on brake pedal was replaced. Sold with 120k on the clock.

Peugeot 307 HDi - Did 45k over 2 years, just needed new top bearings on front suspension (£10) and 1 new suspension spring (£30). Sold with 120k on clock and still returning 58mpg.

Peugeot 206cc (2.0 Petrol) - Had it for 2 years, just needed 1 front CV joint, Coil pack.

So all in all pretty cheap motoring really.

Compare that to the VW Golf TDi I ran for 4 years. That needed new wheel bearings, new ball joints, new wishbone bushes, a cam belt every 20k (or something silly like that), the indicator relay went, the brake light switch went, the actual clutch pedal snapped in two, glove box catch broke, shocks went, dpf fell off (so just replaced with a bit of pipe in the end), electric windows broke, engine temperature sender went faulty, and thats just the stuff I can remember. Thats excluding "normal maintenance" of having new brake pad/disks every 80k.

Now add £3.5+K to the price of that for the inevitable engine build he'll need. :dry::lol:

That's why they're so cheap and I'm avoiding like the plague.

You're questioning Honda reliability and thinking about an Alfa!

Lolz to be fair Alfa are a lot better than they were.

Pug wise I've been out in the 140 and it was 'alright'. My mate owned his for years....had a few usual motoring maladies but nothing critical.

180 should be much better but as said far better bang for your buck out there.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

So I've started looking at other cars in case I can't get a 206 gti 180 that's right and I've come across a mx5 and mr2. Any opinions on them?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608146797472

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608287219027

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608036445549

Tough on Dip as they're very different cars to the GTI.

The MX5 is fun to drive and not much of a chore. MR2 I don't know.....heard some stories about reliability but Dan is your man for these.

GTI will be a perfectly decent car for 1900 but it ain't going to stir the soul like the other 2.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Please for the love of god do not get a Peugeot! My Mrs has a 207 and in the 4 years she has had it it's had 3 headgaskets, thermostat all engine earths went, snapped alternator belt, the air con leaks worse than my plumbing the passenger seats bolts snapped and just this week the brake light switch failed so they all went. I would love to torch the thing. Not to mention it's horrible to drive and makes the zeds interior look like a Range Rover for quality of materials used.

I used to have an Alfa 156 and I loved it! Had it 2 years then sold it to my dad he had it 3 and has since just chopped it in on a new Alfa guilietta veloce. Nothing went wrong with it and it was lovely to drive.

I'm don't know too much about the Mk3 MR2s, had plenty of Mk1s and Mk2s which were great cars and rock solid, I can't imagine the Mk3 was much different. The ad's extremely light on detail though, nothing about history, previous owners, condition etc! I guess they're a 4x4 place so not their bread and butter so it could be a part ex they're trying to get rid of without putting much effort in. Looks tidy from the photos, for a 32 mile round trip it's got to be worth giving them a call and going and driving it. 70k mileage is nothing to worry about if it's got a good history:

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34027

The MX5 also looks tidy, never had one but they're fun cars to drive apparently... go see it.

Personally I'd prefer either of them to a 206gti, at least the correct wheels get powered. :p

They are, but most that will get it have had it by now. The biggest problem with an MR2 is the lack of luggage space, you get about two large shoeboxes. Cracking cars though, we are on our 2nd and possibly abut to buy a 3rd, very little touches them for sheer driving experience.

The 1.4 207 is awful. Not got much going for it. The only one to even think about would be the diesel or the gti but they both have their problems.

What do you actually want from the car?

Not too expensive to run, and some fun. Oh and something quicker than the current 206 1.4 I have use of, which does 0-60 in over 14 seconds.

The 1.4 207 is awful. Not got much going for it. The only one to even think about would be the diesel or the gti but they both have their problems.

What do you actually want from the car?

Not too expensive to run, and some fun. Oh and something quicker than the current 206 1.4 I have use of, which does 0-60 in over 14 seconds.

Jesus. If a 207 is "fun" then youre on the wrong board, badly - seriously, can we get a moderator in here, this is depressing.

I have an Hdi and I think its a great car, practical, amazing economy ......... but I also have a GTI-6 and an MR2 which knock it into outer space on the fun stakes. Admit it, your missus is buying the car and youre just trying to gain some man points back by pretending that you have some input in the decision :p

• Like 1