How 'honest' is everybody

Ollydykins

Just wondering how many people 'have a standard exhaust' or 'no points on their license' etc. One of my friends (the one who had the Zed before me) Moto was 'don't tell them, and just make sure you don't f*****g crash' ...

And looking for a windscreen replace on the future, do these need to be accurate (so to speak) to make that claim ?

Thanks,

Olly

^^ pretty much that, waste of time paying as its invalid, you might as well not have it.

Why stop at mods and points, why not tell them you're a 58 year old vicar who only does 1,000 miles a year and find a mate or relative that lives in a low risk area and say you live there. After all it's only so it shows up insured for ANPR cameras.

What could possibly go wrong?

Seriously listen to the sound advice of those above, some of whom have unfortunately had the need to make a claim.

Edited by leonk

If you cant get insurance for a modded vehicle then 'you bought the car like that and thought the exhaust was standard'.

Going forward exhaust, filter, lowering springs ie visible additions need to be declared imho. Plenum spacer, headers, cams, pulleys, remap arent even seen easily with the bonnet up so............

Lets face it, no one likes insurance, the prices are all over the shop and seem completely unfathomable, no one wants to claim in case of increased costs the following year etc But for the one time you really need it, its just not worth not having a policy based on false information.

Way back when, a friend of a friend was involved in a minor accident. He was insured but didn't declare his aftermarket wing mirrors (or at least I think that was the mod). When they came out to evaluate the damages to both cars his insurance spotted the mod and declared his policy null & void, and did not pay him a penny.

It's not worth the risk to try and save a few quid, as could potentially cost you thousands.

If you have a policy voided for not declaring mods or lying you also have to declare that when getting future insurance policies forever and that will hike up your price too.

Completely not worth it IMO.

Its just not worth the hassle these days as insurance companies can easily check things.

When I renewed the other year I had a call shortly afterwards from my insurance company, and they had DVLA conferenced in on the line asking if I would be happy to have a "random" check done to see if I had been telling them the truth. I said sure, no problem and gave them permission. DVLA then checked with the insurance company that I did infact have a valid license, and (at the time) told them I had 3 points. Fortunately I had been honest and already told the insurance company about these 3 points. Had I not, then I would have been in trouble. My 3 points increased my premium by 30% so I can see why some people might not want to tell the insurance company about them.

With exhausts & other such things. Some companies charge nothing or next to nothing for them, so you may as well tell them. Others charge a fortune or wont touch you. If your cars worth any money then its just not worth the risk of the insurance refusing to pay out if you make a claim.

There was a huge debate on here a while back as to what actually is classed as a "mod" or "aftermarket". If I go to kwik fit (not that I ever would) and they fit their own cheapy brand of exhaust to my car, whilst its not a "performance" one, its an aftermarket one and not OEM so should I declare it? Who knows if it gives me 2bhp more or 2bhp less, but its not standard. Same with brake pads, air filters, even tyres. Then again, you are also supposed to declare any options on your car which werent on the bog standard car. So if you opt`d for uprated stereo, or optional wheels or anything extra when you bought the car new, then you have to declare that, as some companies (like admiral) will only give you the money for the bog standard car. If you bought the car new you`d know what you spec`d , but if you bought 2nd hand it can be very hard to know what was original equipment on your car for that year.

Edited by rabbitstew

I guess one of the issues is if you declare each mod as you do it you end up haveing to pay to update your insurance details when ever each mod is done. Makes it worthwile saving up and getting afew things done at once.

But as everyone else said its pretty pointless to not decalre something.

I thought the exhaust was standard

Claimed ignorance will make zero difference

Actually it will:

In cases where a consumer "deliberately" or "recklessly" fails to disclose a material fact, the insurer is able to "void" the policy (treat it as if it never existed). But if the non-disclosure was "innocent" or "inadvertent", then the insurer should re-write the insurance on the terms it would have offered - if it had known all the facts.

Taken from the below link (sections 79/10 & 79/11):

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/79/79-motor-insurance.htm#cs10

Interestingly, even the person who modded his car knowingly and didn't tell the insurer ended up receiving a percentage of his claim based on the percentage of how much premium he was paying compared to what he should have been paying. I wouldn't want to take that risk, although I'd be happy if I bought a car with a mod I didn't know about.

• Like 1

I've always declared any mods with negligible difference to insurance price, I believe honesty is the best policy as you never know when you may need to claim as I once did when a hit and run (stolen car) went into the rear corner of my parked car damaging the bodywork and wrecking one of my very expensive aftermarket alloys which the insurance would not have paid out for had I not added them to my policy.

However I'd just like to add this being an open forum I doubt anyone would admit to being dishonest about insurance unless they were a bit on the thick side ;)

Having just been payed out nearly 24k on my total loss claim I'd say it's worth being honest I could of saved 100 quid and lost 24k I'd say that's false economy

My sentiments exactly - honesty and a small premium is a small price to ensure you can claim in the event of an unfortunate incident :thumbs:

Edited by tatooandy67

I work in insurance and can honestly say about 40% of the people I speak to on a daily basis have failed to disclose something, the vast majority of the time it's purely innocent.

I also know that with a lot of big private insurers declaring mods is an instant decline. For some people it's a simple case of calling the insurer and paying a small fee to add mods but if you're a younger driver who already has limited options if the few company's that are competitive for you decline mods all together you need to find a policy with someone who covers mods and they may well be way more expensive, this is why some people don't bother disclosing them, it vastly narrows down their options.

I'm old enough to know better myself but young enough to understand why people do it.