1St drive home from dealership and top end is knocking

FA57 BDY

350z Virgin....just bought my first z car.

73,000 on the clock,perfect bodywork,nice wheels,all was good......until I got home and noticed what sounds like a dodgy/worn out tappets noise coming from the top end.it never had the noise on the test drive 2 days ago and has since had an oil change/service..... Any ideas people?

Option A: Go to a local reliable garage, ask them to confirm if this is a 'bad' noise or if it's normal. If it's bad then head straight back to the dealers and have them sort it/refund.

Option B: Head back to the dealers and have them sort it / refund you.

• Like 1

It's not a really bad/loud noise,to me it sounds similar to worn hydraulic tappets I had in an rs turbo engine before.

I got a few hundred £'s off the asking price for not having the warranty but fortunately a different sales person was there today when I picked it up and she never knew that so I drove off with a warranty 😀....which is a bonus.

The dealership was in Harlow Essex (not a Nissan dealership) they are very reputable and stock ferraris,rolls,porsches etc even the only alfa romeo 4c I've ever seen so they're not a cowboy outfit....just seems strange it was fine on Saturday and all changed today

As per Grundys comment, the dealer is duty bound to sort the problem whether you have a warranty or not, you are covered under the consumer rights act. Phone them up without delay, tell them the problem and you will be returning the car for them to fix.

The dealership was in Harlow Essex (not a Nissan dealership) they are very reputable and stock ferraris,rolls,porsches etc even the only alfa romeo 4c I've ever seen so they're not a cowboy outfit....just seems strange it was fine on Saturday and all changed today

For the record the biggest cowboy dealer Ive come into contact with in recent years had Ferraris, Porsches and a 275GTB in his showroom. Didnt stop him trying to stitch me up though :lol:

As others have said, straight back to the dealer and get them to sort or refund, no question.

I seem to recall they changed the law a while back to protect the consumer, so if you buy a vehicle from a motor trader/dealer I'm sure its now law that the trader/dealer has to provide a minimum 3 month warranty.
Dan (Ekona) will quote chapter and verse regarding this, not a lot he doesn't know about consumer rights and regs. PM him

If he doesn't respond here.

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

• Like 1

350z Virgin....just bought my first z car.

73,000 on the clock,perfect bodywork,nice wheels,all was good......until I got home and noticed what sounds like a dodgy/worn out tappets noise coming from the top end.it never had the noise on the test drive 2 days ago and has since had an oil change/service..... Any ideas people?

Have you checked the oil level? (from cold on flat level ground)

Just wondering if someone hasn't serviced it correctly and hasn't put enough oil in.

I seem to recall they changed the law a while back to protect the consumer, so if you buy a vehicle from a motor trader/dealer I'm sure its now law that the trader/dealer has to provide a minimum 3 month warranty.

Pretty sure you're correct on that although some traders/garages may be harder than others to get them to honour that. ;)

Dan (Ekona) will quote chapter and verse regarding this, not a lot he doesn't know about consumer rights and regs. PM him

If he doesn't respond here.

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

Cheers Graham :)

No such thing as a statutory three month warranty, and there never has been. The new CRA does alter things slightly in the favour of the buyer in this case though, the main one being that you have the right to immediate refund if the car develops a fault within the first 30 days. You do, however, have to prove the fault was there at the time of sale. Now, given it happened on the way home from the dealer that should be simple to prove, assuming you haven't signed paperwork to the contrary.

You probably don't even want a refund at this point, just a working car. However, you should keep this info handy as the garage now only gets one chance to repair, so if they **** that up then you can go for them twice.

Thanks for the feedback boys,especially ekona.

I phoned garage today and am taking car back to them Saturday to show them,to be honest the person on the phone was clueless and didn't even know what tappets were.

I've checked oil after being parked on my flat level drive for over 24hrs and it's fresh new oil just fractionally under the full mark.

Started it and let it run for 5-10 mins and the noise is still there but quieter,felt the fuel dampers and the passenger side vibrates/knocks in time with the sound.also stuck my ear on top of engine (while cold) and it sounds like it's coming from inside the top of the engine.

Just drove it about 2 miles (quite lively) and the noise is much louder.

Checked my warranty it's a 6 month GEM warranty,seems to cover a lot of things to be fair.i'll upload a pic of it if I can work out how to

• 3 weeks later...

So I did as advised and returned the car to the dealership,1St time they pretended they couldn't hear anything,told me to leave it for another week and see how it goes.

Returned it a week later,9 days after not hearing back from them I made the call,here's what they said.....there's nothing wrong with the car,it makes no noise at all,even through a stethoscope,no faults on diagnostic reader etc,been to 2 different garages the car is fault free.

I told him his mechanic could probably do with a hearing test,to which he got very defensive and verbal

When told they had been trying to contact me I replied "well I haven't changed my number in over 10 years" the reply I got was "don't get funny with me"

So it seems that ESSEX PRESTIGE AUTOS OF ONGAR AND HARLOW are a lying bunch scammers and 'VICTOR' in peticular has no customer skills,manners or integrity

I'll be collecting the car today/tomorrow and trying my best to not lose my short temper when being presented with a load of bullshit

As for my next move,I'm a bit uncertain,have a Nissan dealership near me that I might have to pop into for some expensive diagnostics

Sorry to hear of your struggles in early z ownership. Bit too late now but that's why I always encourage new owners to look to buy through this forum. Its full of well cared for cars owned by folk who know the cars, are decent people added to which most cars are known on here. Hope you get it sorted.

If its that bad take a mechanic with you (and some proof he is a mechanic), let them tell him he doesnt know what hes talking about.

Id really, really, really, really, really suggest getting your money back walking away, this sounds worse every time I revisit.

Agreed. You really want a second opinion from another mechanic, get him to put it in writing too.

You need to put your complaint in a letter, stating the fault and that you reject the vehicle and that you require a refund. Send it via Special Delivery (not recorded) and then wait for them to refuse. If they do refuse, then you go to court. Simple as that.