Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built

350Butcher

No problem at all Mark! Yeah that’s fair enough, it’s pricey and there not too many 35HR’s out there really. 

Good work......are the new looms any lighter then factory? After pulling the loom off my spare engine was really surprised how heavy it all was!! 

On 23/10/2018 at 10:49, RobPhoboS said:

Please keep it up, and I think perhaps I should start my own one, not that it can hold a candle to this one !

In regards to your geo, what have you got it set to now (with all of the SPL parts on), and how would you describe the handling traits whilst on track.
My car feels extremely neutral, it only seems to understeer once the fronts are hot, and only seems to oversteer if I'm on the power too early.

Which reminds me, before I start on the engine I want a nice diff ! (ffs) :doh:

You've gotten me thinking about buying a donor engine and rebuilding that over time.

I guess it'll initially be more expensive but I could sell my old one or keep it for spares. I can see the benefit of doing this, I just have to wait a while to sort GF visa stuff out.

Where did you end up buying your one from out of curiosity?

I can't afford to do a monster build but just getting a bit more out of it would be cool. I seem to remember that it's the top of my DE engine that requires more work rather than the guts of it. So I guess a larger NWP throttle body/intake pipe to match + maybe a redesigned plenum intake (I remember the one on the US forum).

I'll do my best, you should go for it! It always starts as a small project and builds in to something much bigger!

Cars  handling is neutral / bias oversteer, doesn't understeer at all in the dry with very slight oversteer on corner entry just to rotate a little and keep the front in check and then will oversteer on throttle but again not in drifter style but the car just loads the outsider rear really nicely so it just drives out the corner without losing time or speed. Diff does help loads as there's no slip to lose time/speed on exit and also drives across the rear axle instead of overwhelming the inside wheel.

Its worth it if you can for exactly that.....I'll be keeping the stock HR heads from the donor engine and fitting them to my stock bottom end when its out giving me a 45k mile HR engine for sale when I'm finished which should fetch £2.5k which will be very welcome! Also if there's a issue getting parts or something delayed or money drys up then it can just wait without having the car frustratingly off the road!

Agreed I think the top end is all the issues with the DE and you can throw mega money at it that you could just use to transplant an HR straight in and have same power from a better engine from stock............thought of that at all?? Cheapest way to tax an HR car too!!

Here's my current geo setting to for reference

ft4K010l.jpg

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 1

Thanks again for your help !

Your geo is similar to my one actually iirc, I will need to have another one done in a week or so anyway (minor suspension change happening).

Certainly not a bad idea regarding an HR.

All I know is that I can't do it now, whichever route I end up going :blush:

But I think it was something like this, on the back of a beer mat

Ex:

JWT C8 cams/spings etc https://www.z1motorsports.com/engine-parts/jwt/jwt-vq35de-c8-cams-p-8207.html

for example

+ long tubes (probably ISR)

+NWP TB + correct size intake tube

+ revup oil pump

+ replace any fooked up OEM parts in the engine, probably piston rings

+ re-tune ecu again

All done in a weekend right ?

:lol:

In fact, I guess if I start my thread I can stop hijacking your one for ideas :innocent:

(apologies)

That was the modified upper plenum I meant (for the NWP TB):

80-plenum__23974b4821aa41c3e461f876f151e

Edited by RobPhoboS

4 hours ago, RobPhoboS said:

Thanks again for your help !

Your geo is similar to my one actually iirc, I will need to have another one done in a week or so anyway (minor suspension change happening).

Certainly not a bad idea regarding an HR.

All I know is that I can't do it now, whichever route I end up going :blush:

But I think it was something like this, on the back of a beer mat

Ex:

JWT C8 cams/spings etc https://www.z1motorsports.com/engine-parts/jwt/jwt-vq35de-c8-cams-p-8207.html

for example

+ long tubes (probably ISR)

+NWP TB + correct size intake tube

+ revup oil pump

+ replace any fooked up OEM parts in the engine, probably piston rings

+ re-tune ecu again

All done in a weekend right ?

:lol:

In fact, I guess if I start my thread I can stop hijacking your one for ideas :innocent:

(apologies)

No problem.....happy to!

On top of the geo settings I've got Eibach arb's (middle setting rear/softer setting front) and my spring rates are 600lbs front and 300lbs rear (coil over conversion)......what you doing with your sus?

Looks like a decent list but you'll want to do a complete ground up rebuild while doing all those parts!.........a weekends work! If only things could happen that quick!

I'm happy that this thread has some good discussions and info on it from different people! Start your own but make sure you still contribute to this one!!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I did get a bit of time on the spare engine before my girl arrived.................when I popped the front cover I was very happy with the condition of the engine, no signs of poor maintenance with all totally clean castings........so a good start!

gAlXLjgl.jpg

The common oil gallery gaskets have started to fail though!

gGHTA16l.jpg

Kept going, pulled the heads and bores look good, removed the sump and nothing but super clean and good base engine to rebuild up into my new 3.7lt screamer!!

mUg5MD0l.jpg

6Mb0cHpl.jpg

5uoWvxKl.jpg

GxZLlVZl.jpg

Have placed my order for all hardware for the build.............so final spec will be

VQ37 86mm crankshaft

VQ35HR Brian Crower ProH2K rods (ARP 2000 bolts)

Customs CP 96mm 12.5:1 pistons spec'd with

- accumulator grooves,

- double pin oilers,

- anti detonation grooves,

- X forging

- Ceramic crown and Moly skirt coatings

- 9310 steel pin upgrade

Also adding.........for full rotational balancing  

OS Giken STR2CD clutch kit

ATI super damper crank pulley

I'll carry over my current upgraded heads/cams and all other upgrades

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, nissanman312 said:

Congratulations on the new arrival :thumbs:

Is that a 370 engine or a 350 

Thanks very much!!

Its a VQ35HR engine......same blocks, I have a new VQ37 crank in the loft, and I get to have a spare pair of HR heads buying this engine. 

Other upgraded parts I've ordered for it I've now added to the bottom of that post.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

Ahhh ok cool

I'd like to pop along to a track day one of the days and check the car out it looks great 

Am I right in thinking you are not that far from me Midlands  or do I have that wrong? 

Happy to have you come along, say hello and see the car............hopefully we don't get 6months of salty roads this year/next year and I'll be booking something up again from March..............I'll post up what I've booked on to as and when

Yes, I'm in Warwick............where about's are you?

Managed to just nip out to garage to finish stripping down the engine................before nappy and cuddle duties call!!

Rods all out and good to see the bearings looking in good nick

qERXqKEl.jpg

6K4Zy3jl.jpg

then undo in sequence the retaining bolts

abNbfZWl.jpg

a really nice touch is that you remove the external bolts and then relocate them into a threaded tapping that then presses the two sections apart!.........Like that!

ETWH3vfl.jpg

DefsKC3l.jpg

then all that's left is to lift away the crank! Again good to see main bearings looking good and everything spotlessly clean as I bought the engine imported from Japan with no paperwork or proof of mileage etc......always a bit of risk attached to that.

eT7GOUql.jpg

8IdwXphl.jpg

Being a bit of a nerd I love the machining and engineering involved in the steel inserts into the ally 

91k5ZzQl.jpg

Loosely bolted the sections back together again, covered up to keep protected and clean before running it all to the machine shop to get all that side of work done ready to begin reassembling into something hopefully pretty special!

Hollow engine!.......

cvORn8Rl.jpg

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

Happy to have you come along, say hello and see the car............hopefully we don't get 6months of salty roads this year/next year and I'll be booking something up again from March..............I'll post up what I've booked on to as and when

Yes, I'm in Warwick............where about's are you?

That would be good to take a look 

Oh blimey yeah you are just down the road I'm in meriden :lol:

14 minutes ago, nissanman312 said:

That would be good to take a look 

Oh blimey yeah you are just down the road I'm in meriden :lol:

No problem.........will definitely keep you posted and sort something. I'll swap you a few laps round Donington for a passenger ride to sample your nearly 500hp Z!

15mins down the road!......Few nice roads from you out towards Nuneaton!

54 minutes ago, 350Butcher said:

No problem.........will definitely keep you posted and sort something. I'll swap you a few laps round Donington for a passenger ride to sample your nearly 500hp Z!

15mins down the road!......Few nice roads from you out towards Nuneaton!

It's a deal :thumbs:

Yeah we are lucky for good roads by us 

Keep the updates coming as well it's a great thred to read 

3 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

It's a deal :thumbs:

Yeah we are lucky for good roads by us 

Keep the updates coming as well it's a great thred to read 

Cool!

Sadly I can feel the slow brigade are slowly starting to build and choke up n ruin them all just like they have in Surrey but they're still plenty to enjoy for the time being.

Will do.........think there will be a delay now while I get everything ready and find some time for assembly again.........glad you're enjoying reading it as I have enjoyed sharing it all on this forum!

3 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

Cool!

Sadly I can feel the slow brigade are slowly starting to build and choke up n ruin them all just like they have in Surrey but they're still plenty to enjoy for the time being.

Will do.........think there will be a delay now while I get everything ready and find some time for assembly again.........glad you're enjoying reading it as I have enjoyed sharing it all on this forum!

Yeah I had a little run today just to turn the motor over for a bit and it was just traffic I didn't mind tho sometimes it's nice to appreciate the car at slower speeds when the roads are so greasy 

Think I'll knock the tax off now tho for a couple of months 

16 hours ago, reeceybeaney said:

I'm loving the internals/engine block of the VQ, working with historic Jaguar D Type and E Type engines on a daily basis, these are much more interesting :lol:

Looks like you're going to have a beast of a N/A VQ B)

It is a very well engineered engine, it’s a pleasure to pull apart and reassemble! Things have moved on since the D and E type big cats I suppose but I’d love to build one of them up and go for a drive!! 

Thats definitely the target..........should be 100/litre fairly easily (I say carefully), 370 n/a hp will suit the Z really well.

Then all that’s left after that is to put the car on a major diet to raise it ability in every aspect..........but that’ll have to be on my winter 2020 plan! 

Edited by 350Butcher

9 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

It is a very well engineered engine, it’s a pleasure to pull apart and reassemble! Things have moved on since the D and E type big cats I suppose but I’d love to build one of them up and go for a drive!! 

Thats definitely the target..........should be 100/litre fairly easily (I say carefully), 370 n/a hp will suit the Z really well.

Then all that’s left after that is to put the car on a major diet to raise it ability in every aspect..........but that’ll have to be on my winter 2020 plan! 

Yeah the old school stuff is quite different to what we have now! Weber carbs and all that good stuff :lol: fun to machine stuff and then build it too:blush:

Sounds like a great plan to me! Looking forward to following your progress :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Santa arrived early and in a DHL van this morning!!........

PcLDyD1l.jpg

CP pistons

If you haven't followed my build..........they are custom 12.5:1 CR to work with the longer 35HR rods and the 37VHR crankshaft. Feature coatings to crown and skirts, steel pins as well as a few other features to save weight, friction and increase performance.

Hl6URLWl.jpg

wd2g8NVl.jpg

hHS59Gml.jpg

BC Rods

Pretty typical 4340 steel items, come with ARP2000 bolts. Save weight and add a lot of strength over stock items.

ldYrACbl.jpg?1

hsgC7uPl.jpg

You can see here the difference to stock with the raised pin height to accommodate the longer stroke of the 37VHR crank and the built up crown for increased compression 

5s89Hkll.jpg

uGaJUTql.jpg

Weight was of real important consideration so I pulled out the scales to compare!

Stock 35HR items

Piston 398g

Pin 109g

Rods 656g

TOTAL 1163g

CP/BC items

Piston 365g

Pin 95g

Rod 575g

TOTAL 1035g

Saving 128g per cylinder (x6 is 768g off total rotational assembly and they'll more once its calculated what can be removed from the crank too when the whole assembly is balanced)

Given that pistons at 7000rpm can be subjected to g forces well over 3000g's the saving of 128grams is a massive reduction in forces acting on the components inside the engine.

CZZ83ANm.jpg

zfwPzUjm.jpg

mzhgvoTm.jpg

jQxdzNDm.jpg

yEv0iUUm.jpg

WoTwm51m.jpg

Looking forward to getting it all to the machine shop very soon

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year!!

• Like 4

• 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR build
  • 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built