Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built

350Butcher

6 hours ago, Snjur said:

I stumbled upon this solution too

I originally wanted to do something along these lines where the ducting is bolted to a back plate and directed straight to the center of the discs......so the air is drawn through the venting of the discs and giving best results. However getting it directly to the center is hard and as mentioned the route for the ducting itself is cut off every which was I could see of running it! That image I'd suspect would in reality only direct air to inner disc surface which I believe would give poor results and not act to expel hot air inside the wheel either so I believe what I've done will be better..........I hope!

I've got my little AP temp stickers now and they'll be going on the calipers so I'll soon know if what I've done works or not! I'll update with my results when I have them!

All finished!

Everything mounted, bolted up and clearances checked on full lock.

I go to the South of France on my hols soon before hitting Spa on the way home so will be interesting to monitor temps on roads like Route Napoleon, Col de Vence and Col de Turini to name some of the big ones before testing track temps! 

PMFHXQWl.jpg

nafogiTl.jpg

DtABhm8l.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick post as I've just got back from my 3000miles road trip finishing with Spa track day. Spa delivered on being a great circuit to drive......its not the 'Ring though.......Eau Rouge is every bit as exciting to fly up as I hoped it would be! Really didn't realise the run into it was so downhill though, camera's just make the place look flat! Would love to go back again as soon as I get an opportunity as there's so much more I left in terms of speed through out the lap, just needed more laps and not a massive thunder storm with torrential rain fall mid afternoon!! But then that's Spa and I guess I got the full experience with some wet laps in too!

Brake ducting did the business with no issues as I had at Donington and Spa does test your brakes! Couple of high speed stops plus downhill braking zones so was very happy with that.............just a shame my rear discs have decided to squeal like a pig! Discs are quite scored etc so I think I'll give them a skim and see if that sorts them. RS42's on the rears have always been quiet in the past!

Doing this kind of trip really makes me rate the Z for being able to deliver at doing everything plenty well enough!

Was quite a lot of traffic........but here's a couple of clear laps I got

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 4

One of my all time favourite tracks, would love to one day do this and Imola. Car looking well, what gear and speeds were you doing along the top straight? 

For the money, nothing come close to the Zed as an overall driving package. 

12 hours ago, davey_83 said:

One of my all time favourite tracks, would love to one day do this and Imola. Car looking well, what gear and speeds were you doing along the top straight? 

For the money, nothing come close to the Zed as an overall driving package. 

Was a bit of a last minute decision to go as the dates were perfect for dropping in coming home from hols driving to France, so glad we did it as it is great circuit.......just book it and go! Car felt good round there just a shame few corners are right between gears so more than not I left it in the higher to go easy on the car as its so far from home! Not the place to break something! 

Sneaking a down shift to 4th to take Eau Rouge would be hitting the brakes at indicated 135mph ish

Agreed! Its a great car........reliable too

6 hours ago, D12TEE said:

Looks ridiculously smooth! Always good to see an Evo made to look like it's stood still! :teeth:

Cheers, was that Me or the track! I try to drive smooth and the fast double apex left if taken right is just one steering input which feels pretty nice! Track is super smooth too, couple of bumps and some curbs you use others to miss......did I mention I had a great time and its a great circuit!

To be far I think that one was on an out/in lap........there was actually a massive speed differential on the day which meant clear laps where rare which was a shame, but it was OK

On 20/07/2018 at 13:01, Hansburger said:

Damn! Some great upgrades. B) 

Thanks! Its come along way when I look back at it all

On 20/07/2018 at 16:19, D12TEE said:

haha, very much your driving, impressive lines

Cheers! I've never been to Spa, I did a bit of homework on it before I went but every car is different so you have to feel your way round. Its got a great mix of corners through out the lap, few late turn in lines due to late apex's and corners where you sacrifice on the exit of one to better the next etc which all keeps it interesting and fun but also makes you come away feeling like there's so much to learn and so much speed left to have...........the perfect excuse to go back!

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 1

Another few pics from dropping into what remains of Circuit Reims. Been meaning to visit for a while now so felt good to finally make it.

The place has a great feel about it and you can imagine how it would've been buzzing on race day as the like of Clark, Moss, Hawthorn and Collins came blasting down the long long straight between the grandstands to take victories there!

There is a foundation that are restoring the facilities and doing a great job of balancing cleaning it all up but making sure the history remains,

AonIWMCl.jpg

jn0v1o6l.jpg

n451isbl.jpg

cUlkIVql.jpg

MVWuTaTl.jpg

Ee3pDBNl.jpg

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 2

One thing I really enjoy about track days is seeing and hearing the cars under load on circuit......not just revving in a car park or at a show

Sharing the track with such top end stuff at places like the 'Ring and Spa it makes even out laps, cool down laps fun and even when you're on what you think is a quick lap being overtaken like you're standing still isn't all that bad either sometimes.........just as long as its not that Rover metro at Cadwell again that is!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the guys at @Tarmac@TarmacSportz I came home to a very welcome delivery today! 

j42d68Tl.jpg

After having this going through my head for a while and with some great results installing bearings in place of bushes throughout my Brothers Vxr220 I ordered the remainder of the SPL offerings missing from my chassis. In my opinion, although the Whiteline bushes currently fitted are great quality and do a fine job of keeping everything tight and maintaining geometry even under the loads of track work, they do offer a significant undesirable resistance in the travel of the wishbones and lower arms, This tension/spring energy stored in the bushes during the suspensions travel works against the dampers in both compression and rebound with negative results. Certainly in the case of my Brothers car the difference was immediately noticeable with all the movement in the chassis components now being controlled by only the dampers free of any interference from the load from the bushes.

I'm sure my MCS dampers will be very happy to get these installed!

I also ordered up the SPL track rod ends to correct bump steer that my car suffers with.........the car is booked in for full geometry again on the Sept 8th, looking forward to the drive home already!

muMHcx4l.jpg

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 5

Thought I'd attempt to improve the audio quality in my track vids as they do lack what its like in real life and it pics up on wind noise if the windows are down. Did a bit of homework and bought the Rode VideoMicro which comes with "dead cat" windshield and thought I'd give it a test on a cold start getting the Z out the garage..........think it captures a little more (but not all) the anger of it when its fired up............thought I'd share it anyway

Sadly my track day tomorrow looks like it'll be a wet one so not sure it'll be the best test hopefully it'll be drier next time out.

@350Butcher Great build so far!   Do you mind if I ask about the brake ducts please/  They look amazing.  A really ingenious solution. 

May I ask where you bought all the parts from please as I'd like to do this to my Z too.   Did you have to do much cutting for the front ducts?

Big thanks.   Neil.

On 02/09/2018 at 20:04, vroom811 said:

@350Butcher Great build so far!   Do you mind if I ask about the brake ducts please/  They look amazing.  A really ingenious solution. 

May I ask where you bought all the parts from please as I'd like to do this to my Z too.   Did you have to do much cutting for the front ducts?

Big thanks.   Neil.

Thanks Neil!

Here's a list of the parts I used and the brackets themselves that secure ducting to arb drop link mounts I made from sheet metal

image.png.69e38ed0dfc99cdf11baceb12595f2af.png

Re cutting, from memory an 80mm hole cutter straight through the very bottom edge of the front panel and then some very minor trimming to the plastics around the inner arch

Sussing out what I was going do to took a while but actually making this up was OK (fiddly but OK) and its very tidy install without removing any strength from front panel at all which I like............biggest plus of course is that it really works, I have no issues at all with brake temps (even at Spa when it was about 30degrees) since installing this ducting!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@350Butcher Massive thanks for this.  Been looking for ages to find those parts.  Not wanting to bother you too much but could I ask a few more questions please?

1.  How did you secure the metal intake ducts to the front of the car?

2. What thickness metal sheet did you get?

3.  What type of metal was it?  I assume aluminium?

4. How did you secure the metal outlet duct to the metal sheet?

Thanks, Neil.

On 04/09/2018 at 09:41, vroom811 said:

@350Butcher Massive thanks for this.  Been looking for ages to find those parts.

1.  How did you secure the metal intake ducts to the front of the car?

2. What thickness metal sheet did you get?

3.  What type of metal was it?  I assume aluminium?

4. How did you secure the metal outlet duct to the metal sheet?

Thanks, Neil.

No problem!! Happy to help. 

1) I made sure they were a snug push fit anyway then added a bead of black silicone and pushed the hose clamps up from behind too so they aren’t going anywhere. 

2/3) It’s only 1mm sheet steel, I really wanted to press in some swage lines to make the sheet more rigid but it’s plenty good enough as the ducting hose weighs nothing. 

4) The outlet duct has a 15mm flat flange on it so it drilled through that and the sheet metal behind and put in a couple of very small self taper screws (couple of small rivets probably better)

I’m under the car in the evenings this week so I’ll take a couple of pics of these particular areas and post them up for you

Cheers

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 1

Bearings all installed...........forgot how much of a job that all is to be honest! The rear knuckle is a bit of a faff given there's 4 in that and they're at odd angles etc

The quality of the SPL parts is great and the fitment on reassembly was perfect.....as you'd hope and expect. Sadly I wasn't able to get the Geo done on Saturday but it's booked in next Saturday and I'll get to test it out on Welsh roads from Sunday and Anglesey's fantastic (and hopefully dry) Coastal layout on the 17th.

I've only driven it for 5mins down the road but straight away the initial impression are very good, only a slight increase in hardness to the ride but a lot stiffer chassis feel with much better sense of connection to the road surface which I'm pleased about. The steering also feels lighter but with a better sense of connection now all that feedback can get through to the wheel.......things will improve further when the rod ends are installed and its all setup again

Shame that in 3-5 years they'll all be knackered and I'll have to replace them all again!!!!

Lots of pics!.........

Rigged up all sorts to press them out

UjxaCjPl.jpg

fOqznVtl.jpg

NMNFIXfl.jpg

RcokmYol.jpg

Rear Knuckle

TUvx62El.jpg

ql7vg6Dl.jpg

8RnocC5l.jpg

T6c4hRul.jpg

Rear Upper arm

Per5ivOl.jpg

6sJcbyQl.jpg

Huge Bearing for compression arm!!

tya1Meal.jpg

scVxlFfl.jpg

Nu7E7Iil.jpg

Front arms

nMa2o5Zl.jpg

Installed on car

Yy7mxXbl.jpg

BngBG9jl.jpg

EwclmLkl.jpg

fsDiKcHl.jpg

ypKOzZnl.jpg

UqQn9SVl.jpg

• Like 2

Just got back from getting the alignment done and as always the car drives perfect again but more importantly the SPL tie rods ends have been installed to correct the bump steer...........what can I say the difference in steering is massive! Firstly the steering feels lighter with the bearings installed (in a good way) but with so much more feel and connection, add in the rod ends installed it has taken away all the steering corruption that occurs from toe changes while going over surface changes and imperfections. Am really keen to feel the difference this setup makes on track now........roll on Anglesey Coastal on Monday

When I was pressing on over rougher roads before the steering was pulling and tugging this way and that and I found myself gripping the wheel tighter and tighter as speed increased.....now that's all gone! Anyone lowering their Z needs to add the SPL rod ends to the list, you've got to get the alignment done after changing the suspension anyway so its a couple of hundred quid on top and you'll get a lot more benefit after!

Link to parts from @Tarmac@TarmacSportz

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/spl-nissan-300zx-z32-90-96-350z-03-skyline-r32-r33-r34-89-02-infiniti-g35-03-07-pro-v5-front-outer-tie-rod-ends.html

Pics of parts installed and geo sheet

dM35A0Xl.jpg

ft4K010l.jpg

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Gains no doubt, isn't the trade off with longevity for rose joints compared to oe setup? Not so much an issue for a track car, but for a daily something to consider.

Specifically the rod ends I’d change even on a all year round daily car the gains are so good. Replacement rod ends are available at £60ish for the pair and given you’ll have your geometry checked annually or every other there’s plenty of opportunity to bang on the new parts if they start going at the same time as that. 

Regarding the rest of the chassis, if the cars going to see salty roads through winter use etc I probably wouldn’t bother with bearings in the chassis at all, you’ll get a few years and then probably have to change it all again and the amount of work and cost involved in that is hard to swallow for the amount of gain you’ll actually have while just plodding around on the roads. 

• Like 1

• 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR build
  • 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built