Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built

350Butcher

Those wheels are perfect B)

Yus! Need to book on Anglesey ASAP! I think it's my fav track actually!

Yeah that 3.9 FD is excellently judged. I think any more and you are limiting it's use a bit. Would love a passenger in your car when we finally get on a track day together, feel it could cost me a sh*t tonne and confirm what i have said I needed to do all along haha!

Cheers, looking forward to wrapping them in fresh AD08R's and getting them on...........they feel quite a bit lighter than the 19" version that are on the car currently.

I'd like to book it again sometime......shame its just SO far away for us!

Well if you make it to Donny that can be arranged mate!

• Like 1

Read and followed. I appear to be on a similar mod path as you but about 18 months behind :sweat:

Anyway cool build. Nice to see someone interested in track performance not scene status.

Edited by afroguy
  • Like 1

Read and followed. I appear to be on a similar mod path as you but about 18 months behind :sweat:

Anyway cool build. Nice to see someone interested in track performance not scene status.

Cheers! Good luck with your plans.......can honestly say its a lot of effort but the rewards are there.....so much so I'd really like to build a hi compression bottom end and swap in the 280 cams next time its in bits!

I've always been in to the driving and performance mods for my cars...........keeping up with latest trends seems just as expensive while traveling slower in most cases it seems

As mentioned above regarding the mods I like ......this is my old Evo 5 all fully forged 420Hp and 1300Kgs of it.......when I came to selling this after 6 years and writing out the spec sheet the only things I'd not either replaced or fully rebuilt was the transfer box and the shell/body!!

Got such great memories with this car and I'm not sure I'll ever have a car as fast from A to B........that said the Z is a more rewarding drivers car as it takes more from 'you' to drive fast so its challenging and therefore rewarding. Its also such a well balanced car on the limit........the Evo always had a bit of understeer that you couldn't fully dial out, that said though you just flicked it sideways at will to deal with it was great fun!

bzo6Hmtl.jpg

Qy7rHLgl.jpg

oQPCoB8l.jpg

PF4fVnvl.jpg

9VfiwlBl.jpg

Had to fit the wheel weights to the outside of the wheels as they hit the calipers!!

zJa3HSll.jpg

Alcons with RS29's and Ohlins!!

VDTID8Wl.jpg

WUeuBQQl.jpg

Fgf1JGXl.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Been so busy the car has hardly had a seconds attention or turned a wheel since Anglesey..........and those beautiful 18" Nismo wheels have just been waiting too

Till a friend with an Evo 7 just happened to mention he'd booked an evening trackday at Donington Park on the 5th July! Fancying a run in the car and also curious about whether or not the new spec was too noisy and in need of baffles for our day there on the 28th I grabbed one of the last places available!

It was perfect weather and we got a few clear laps and its always good to get on to Donington as its such a great fast flowing circuit.................but the general driving standards and abilities on the night were horrendous bordering dangerous and as a result it was red flag after red flag till eventually they were all thrown off!! The other slightly sad news was it would appear my car does create more noise than east midlands airport after all!!! At 100.3dB I did have to shove a pair of decibel devils up my exhaust.......but the man with the black flag never came over again so they did the job which is great news and I can relax knowing I've got that sorted for future trips!

Here's a little vid of the laps we did get.......this probably quite an accurate representative of how much of the entire 3 hours wasn't a red flag too!

and although definitely not at my quickest what "Harry's" said by the end

gT1wzGkl.png

Edited by 350Butcher

On to the new wheels........

So after what feels like forever I have finally got round to having these refurbished, new Nismo stickers applied and a fresh set of AD08R's in 255/265

The results of which look like this!

J86wEpil.jpg

b25JJLYl.jpg?1

And on the car..........I'll let you decide for yourselves

Before on the 19's

0DDqEawl.jpg

and on the new 18's

Af9CwlIl.jpg

Before on the 19's

pejG3eCl.jpg

and the new 18's..........and that rear dish!!!

IdOf8uxl.jpg

I'm well happy as I've wanted a set of these for around 5 years! Can't wait to go for a proper drive on them. I weighed the 19's that came off and these 18's save 1kg a corner which I know doesn't sound that impressive but given that's unsprung weight and the equivalent of reducing the cars sprung weight by 16kgs I'll take that! 

The only other news is that I'm currently in talks with MCS suspension for a set of their 2 way adjustable coil overs (Link http://motioncontrolsuspension.com/2wnr/) so I shall keep you posted on that.............so I may have a set of 19" Nismo LMGT4's and Bilstein PSS10's coming up for sale very soon!!

Edited by 350Butcher

• 3 weeks later...

After my slightly iffy evening session at Donington I was back there on Friday and had a great day! The car I can now confirm is 102Db drive by so I have to fit the 2xDecibel Devils I ordered and they do the job and get it down to a level that keeps me out on track! The weather was mostly good throughout the day with the odd shower and then total down pour at 4:30 so perfectly timed to finish up and head to the pub for a debrief of the day!!

The new 18's felt really good and offered up more feel and grip I would say.........knocked nearly a second off my lap time from the other day but the temps were a lot lower so not sure if that played a big part.

Sharing the day with my brother in his Vxr220, as always, is great fun but an added bonus to the day was sharing the garage with a really nice couple with their 911 996 gt3! My misses blagged a ride out in it and loved every second!

BHdjjsZl.png

Also i wasn't going to but have decided to change the suspension on the car. After loads of homework I went with MCS (Motion Control Suspension) and their 2WNR (2 way non remote) this will give superior ride and control over my current Bilstein's even with using much higher spring rates for far improved handling. If you've not heard of them they are headed by a guy called Jerome Van Gool, he was formerly of JRZ before forming Moton until they were sold to AST and MCS was born.

Today I have collected my SPL toe links courtesy of Tarmac Sportz as I'm converting to rear coilovers. Then I get a very exciting email from Wyatt from MCS to say my dampers have been finished and have been shipped today!! Attaching a few studio pics of my actual dampers!!

These will be coming with Eibach 2.25" springs, 600lbs 8" long with 12lbs helpers in the front and 300lbs 9" long at the rear.  

Fronts

dZOogLdl.jpg

xRj8jh6l.jpg

Rears

y0W938Ml.jpg

ZTUMP9ul.jpg

• Like 1

Good Damper I know Jerome from years ago when he started JRZ.

Are you sure 300lb rear springs will be hard enough as they are in board of the rear damper position. I  think I am running 8kg/mm on the rear of my Trackday Zed which works out as 450lb which i still think is to soft.

Only run a 10KG on the front which is softer than you are going to run.

Question about the LGTM4s. I recently fitted a set of 18 and struggling to find much selecetion for tyres in the recommended 255/275, is that why you dropped down the rears and opted for 265, was there more selection available? Noticed any downsides to straying from recommended?

Mark, hope you're good

I'm going with coilovers in the rear so 300lbs is actually pretty stiff. I've had a fair bit of discussion with MCS about what I want from the car and how I'd like it to handle and this is their recommendation on what to run. Worse case it's only a pair of springs to swap out to try something else with the setup. 

Sargara

I wanted to run the AD08R tyre and as you say they aren't available in 275 rears. That said I found stepping the front up to 255 and reducing the rears to 265 has worked really well and even given the wider choice I wouldve gone with these sizes. 

No negatives to running them at all that I've found. 

59 minutes ago, 350Butcher said:

Mark, hope you're good

I'm going with coilovers in the rear so 300lbs is actually pretty stiff. I've had a fair bit of discussion with MCS about what I want from the car and how I'd like it to handle and this is their recommendation on what to run. Worse case it's only a pair of springs to swap out to try something else with the setup. 

arh I read as you changed the lower arms you was using the SPL arms that take the springs. So you not re-enforcing the suspension mounts to go coil over then?

No probs, it's the SPL toe links that lose the spring mounts I've got. 

Theres been loads written about the conversion to coil overs and the need to reinforce but I did loads of homework, asked on this forum asked in the states, asked MCS (who have sold lots of kits for the 350 under JRZ, Moton and MCS) and i couldn't find one report or photograph of a failure at all. I've looked at the area on the car myself and compared to my Evo before that uses very similar set up as this will now be and it's looking just as strong. 

Compare that to google searching the same fault with BMW's and there are pages and pages of images and companies everywhere happy to take your money to reinforce the areas that need it. 

I'll obviously monitor it and check as use goes on but I'm feeling confident it'll be ok. 

New MCS 2WNR's have landed!!

I can't wait to get these installed, first impressions of just of the quality of the machining on these is top draw. Unboxed and coudn't believe how light they are...............plus I'm sure the springs and top mounts save more weight too.

Fronts 1.5kgs Vs stock 2.6kgs!

gBY2A1pl.jpg

Rears 1.4kgs Vs stock 1.7kgs

WKA9Hail.jpg

Also very impressed with the trick adjustment for these.......all at  the top of the shock so no more crawling around on the floor by the side of the road or track to make an adjustment

cC52DBql.jpg

and all built up with top mounts and Eibach springs........hopefully get these on over the weekend

pOoUQkjl.jpg

Edited by 350Butcher

6 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Good move on the wheels for the intended use of the car, looks smart.

Cheers!

The 19's were good but by comparison the 18's make the whole car feel lighter and more agile with more grip and feel too I'd say.

As you can tell I'm wanting to concentrate on the chassis at the moment so with these 18's on and the new suspension which offers the next level on from the likes of the Ohlins R+T I'm hoping for nicer ride control and comfort on road with far greater adjustment and grip for when I go on track.

• 2 months later...

Its been a while but thought I'd update this a bit!

So the new suspension went on just in time for a proper test......road trip holiday to France followed by first track day at Rockingham!

Install went well, they're really nicely machined and made items. Total weight saving for fronts inc springs was 2kgs a corner, the rears inc springs and SPL arms was 5.6kgs a side so in total 15kgs shed from the car! Add the 1kg a corner from swapping to the 18" wheels and it was over 19kgs of unsprung weight saved

Fronts

P4n7RSkl.jpg

Used a Mikalor clamp for supporting the brake hose

W1Llo7Cl.jpg

Rears with SPL rear toe links

1MY3A9fl.jpg

Top adjuster

FaZCrDwl.jpg

First thing after install was of course to get the geometry done......I've always hated laser alignment method, never felt like the cars been 100% right afterwards and the only time it has felt right is after good old skool strings and gauges..........Just cos a computer makes the number go green I've always wondered what the + / - is on the tolerance for that.......strings and gauges are as good as your eyes can make it!

Car went to Q Prep in Peterborough and I honestly couldn't rate them higher.......car was booked in for all day......first thing was to discuss what I wanted the car to do and how I wanted it to behave.....then get a base setting.....go for a quick drive to settle and test.....re check and set to final settings....drive....recheck.......you get the idea! Till the car was returning with both me happy how the car felt and the settings remaining after a fairly hard run up the road was the car signed off as done. The car drove better after that than I've ever had it!

On the road the new suspension although using 11kg front and 5.5kg rears springs, which is roughly double that of the Bilstein PSS10's on it previously, offers a very acceptable level of ride comfort and a quality level of damping to soak up the biggest bumps so first impressions were good..........and a bit of a relief as I really didn't want a rock solid car! The only time you really feel the spring rates are when you're driving at very low speed say over a bumpy car park when there's not the inputs to make the dampers move. On road I don't think they are quite as good as the Ohlins overall but I'm hoping that the gamble to trade this slight drop here for improved performance on track and 2 way damper adjustment will pay off. The only other thing worth noting was that converting to coilover rears with pillowball top mounts does transfer some noise into the car. All things considered though very happy and the trip to France around some passes and cols the car felt great and the front end better than ever when pressing on..............and I could still walk with a functional spine after hours and hours in the car

On track the MCS really do shine though!! With more adjustment available I tried a few things with it to make sure I understood what had what effect and once I had dialled in something I liked the car felt amazing. The front end is so direct, so responsive and the rear feels really different as to how its supported and controlled, it took a while to trust it but after the morning was through I pushed on and really loved driving it how it is now. First track day in and I'm really impressed so hopefully with more track time and experience with it I can maybe get it even better

Here's a little vid from a couple of laps of Rockingham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4wkSzTCCNI

Next track day at Silverstone GP on Monday 6th Nov..........can't wait!!

Edited by 350Butcher

• 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR build
  • 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built