Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built

350Butcher

Thought I'd do a bit of an update.

So although the colour is very nice the condition of the car was pretty horrific up close, the last owner/the dealer must've washed it with mud and sand paper! Full of swirls and plenty of holograms from a previous poor mop job for good measure the car had no proper shine and looked at its worst in sunshine when it should be looking its best. After doing some homework I decided the detailing route was too expensive and not being a showy car/owner myself was probably too much but I did want to tidy it up and get it looking as good as it should.

After going through few options I arrived at Meguiars, after taking a look at their stuff and being reassured that its idiot proof and it'll fix 90% of the paints faults I collected my MT320 kit and headed home with some big hopes

I was happy with the end result..........................I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking

HN08wTul.jpg

j32AaGUl.jpg

avvtrAPl.jpg

4iTohkDl.jpg

9jFgItAl.jpg

ML6qr5ul.jpg

THw8NmRl.jpg

cZ5jimOl.jpg

wg51TuXl.jpg

OMzZUuNl.jpg

aKWiyarl.jpg

Next up...........after a very successful and enjoyable track day at Donington end of August in preparation for the 'Ring trip in September 2 things were apparent I needed to sort before that trip.

Firstly the brakes.............worn and needing a fresh set of discs and pads, I've always been happy with the Performance Friction floating discs and Pagid RS29 setup so got them ordered up and fitted, along with a quick bleed with the Millers 300+ brake fluid its ready for another outing

Dq1gliWl.jpg

3fN76ctl.jpg

lbqC9J7l.jpg

Secondly............with the extra grip available on the new AD08R tyres and the chassis setup I cant stay in the seat and have huge bruises on my knees trying to wedge myself between the door and centre console while still trying to dance on the pedals! After previously having proper bucket seats and harnesses I've always wanted to get back into a decent set of comfy and supportive seats, the improvements in your concentration and the feel through your bum are also welcome to have when pressing on.

Looking at mounting harnesses in the Zed while maintaining it as a road car seems to be a bit difficult but after looking around on web and here found www.gcfabrications.co.uk, a quick phone call to them had one of their harness bars on order. The guy I spoke to was a really nice bloke and the quality and fit of the product is as good as any high end brand product I've used before so I would recommend this to anyone considering the same. I had read peoples concerns about this bar but I couldn't see any issues from pics I'd seen and don't have any concerns now its bolted in my car with my life depending on it doing its job should the worst ever happen.

5UqmxLWl.jpg

YIYpsHll.jpg

When it came to choosing seats I'd had a bit of earlier luck on Ebay and had some Bride mounts sitting in the loft. I wanted a road seat that would mount up to these and recline so I could still get to the storage bit behind passenger seat etc.

At this point I'll skip out 2 weeks of grief and agro, some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced and the worst quality product I've had the misfortune of buying on the poor and incorrect info I'd received and just say DO NOT USE www.sportseats4u.co.uk/ OR www.cobraseats.com

Back to good news! So after the above I went back to my first thought when wanting these seats and harnesses and put a call in to Demon Tweeks and ordered 2xRecaro Speed and pair of Sabelt 2†4 point bolt in harnesses........ordered on a Friday afternoon they arrived on Saturday and I set about installing everything.

I wouldn't say they are really much if any lower than the standard seats but in terms of support and actually comfort too (and I never found the standard seats uncomfy either) they are a huge improvement..............and they look the nuts too!!

COoKKjRl.jpg

vRWbg8ol.jpg

8mppEo0l.jpg

nHJnTtIl.jpg

0Q7YCdIl.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by 350Butcher

Top top stuff! Interesting you're using the Yokohama I've been hearing great stuff about them, thinking of using them next on my 86. I noticed this is a road car aswell are you thinking of partly stripping it aswell? The seats and bar look brilliant!

Thanks!

They are great tyres, I used them on my old Evo 5 and now the new "R" version and both are really impressive and I've been really happy with, they've not got the outright grip of the Michelin Cups but they're not as far off as people might like to admit and you're not guaranteed a accident if it starts raining so I think they are a better tyre all round. The AD08R is the control tyre for world time attack so they cant be bad!!

I don't think I will strip the Zed as I am trying to keep it as a good GT car for trips to alps etc. having it as it is now I think is the perfect balance for me

I see your 86 is charged so that must be a great car, were you out on track at the 'ring in it and how did you get on? It is 10x better than anyone can tell you out there isn't it..............I love the place

Huge thumbs up for this build thread, i'm really enjoying this :thumbs: . Great work coping with single garage too! id never attempt a gearbox out job in my single (also wish it was a double) garage!

Cheers! I'm glad I shared all my hard work now, its been nice to get such a positive reaction to it from everyone

Yeah it can be tight working in there but I've had to do jobs on a driveway in the snow before so its luxury nowadays really having a garage at all

I'm in the same boat :) Just ordered a harness bar, bucket seats and a 5 Sabelt point belt and I will be installing them this weekend. Also not touching the interior for now as I want to enjoy the car as a daily one for some time, before I decide what to do with it after winter.

Top top stuff! Interesting you're using the Yokohama I've been hearing great stuff about them, thinking of using them next on my 86. I noticed this is a road car aswell are you thinking of partly stripping it aswell? The seats and bar look brilliant!

Thanks!

They are great tyres, I used them on my old Evo 5 and now the new "R" version and both are really impressive and I've been really happy with, they've not got the outright grip of the Michelin Cups but they're not as far off as people might like to admit and you're not guaranteed a accident if it starts raining so I think they are a better tyre all round. The AD08R is the control tyre for world time attack so they cant be bad!!

I don't think I will strip the Zed as I am trying to keep it as a good GT car for trips to alps etc. having it as it is now I think is the perfect balance for me

I see your 86 is charged so that must be a great car, were you out on track at the 'ring in it and how did you get on? It is 10x better than anyone can tell you out there isn't it..............I love the place

When the replacements are needed I'll get myself a set, hope the uk roads don't destroy them! I did 9 laps and the car was brilliant being supercharged the power was there but tbh it really takes some getting used to the track. The place is amazing just a brilliant atmosphere out there. I'm hoping to be back out in April maybe I'm waiting for the 2017 calendar to be released then I'll look at booking something.

I'm in the same boat :) Just ordered a harness bar, bucket seats and a 5 Sabelt point belt and I will be installing them this weekend. Also not touching the interior for now as I want to enjoy the car as a daily one for some time, before I decide what to do with it after winter.

What have you gone for?

When the replacements are needed I'll get myself a set, hope the uk roads don't destroy them! I did 9 laps and the car was brilliant being supercharged the power was there but tbh it really takes some getting used to the track. The place is amazing just a brilliant atmosphere out there. I'm hoping to be back out in April maybe I'm waiting for the 2017 calendar to be released then I'll look at booking something.

You wont regret it. They really do stand up to track work while being a good street tyre too. What sort of power does the car have?

Its got such a buzz around the place, its so addictive once you've been you just wanna go back every year......think the plan is to try Spa for 2017 though as thats a box we've got to tick too

If that "Brembo" sign stays pink after you've driven on the Ring, you have not been going fast enough! Post a pic of it afterwards ;)

Never really noticed the Brembo logo but the caliper was bright gold and its already down to a ginger on their way to the brown my old calipers were.

Sadly the forecast at the moment looks like 14 degrees and raining so I don't think I'll be a hero in the braking zones with all that 6 ft of grass runoff it gives you around there!!

I have a build thread on here somewhere, it's running 320, the HKS charger I'm using has restrictor plates so there could be more power but would need a built engine which I'm not ready for yet lol. So did you do a actual track day not a public session on the ring?

Bet thats really nice with 320 bhp, I like the "yet" on the build.

This will be our 3rd trip with http://www.destinati...urburgring.com/ and I highly recommend them, Darren and the team organise the days really well with the right focus on the bits that matter to give you the best experience (I should work in their marketing) its the best fun and safest you'll ever get there in my opinion. The tourist sessions always scared me with everything from buses to motorbikes and race cars going round together. Its not the cheapest and obviously you take the rough with the smooth with the weather but its worth it I think. Its full open pit lane, full lap not BTG and a really great day..............especially if its dry and sunny!!

Edited by 350Butcher

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! No matter how many laps I do on PlayStation, it looks so fearsome in real life, so little margin!

Cool vid :thumbs:

Cheers! The playstation is actually really good to learn the circuit, just where it goes left and right but it just can't give you the bumps, cambers and crests that have the car light and sliding or the compression at 120mph that have your head on your lap and the car bottomed out etc, it is so full on and you're always aware of the no margin for error!! But what a buzz what a track

• 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR build
  • 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built