Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built

350Butcher

Looking good as usual 350 butcher those brakes look great may add them to my shopping list once my build is finished. hoping to get out on track aswell once done so the traction control stuff makes interesting reading! 

16 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

In the diary at the moment are Cadwell Park - Tues 29th May and Spa - Tues 17th July, will look at doing another couple from Aug and I've got my eye on Silverstone GP - Mon 5th Nov

Do you take the car out at any normal track days?

Also, any chance next time the cars up in the air with the wheels off you could share some pics of how you've run your brake cooling ducting? It's a must do on my list!

we have done - sort of depends on who is running it to be honest :) 

I will try and get you a photo, i have one somewhere but struggling to find it, we have used the robot arm stuff in the inlets on the nismo v2 bumper and then on to the back of the discs at an angle. It would be better with a scoop that goes into the veins of the disc but would require some more fab work

19 hours ago, Ross k said:

Looking good as usual 350 butcher those brakes look great may add them to my shopping list once my build is finished. hoping to get out on track aswell once done so the traction control stuff makes interesting reading! 

Cheers Ross! Been following your build too, its coming on nicely. I'm sure BG will be happy to sort you out with the same kit. They are pretty impressive, not really fully bed in and only been around the roads with them so far and already the feel, progression and power of them is on a different level to before.  

Think with all your torque you'll be upsetting the electronics quite easily so once you're happy with it I'd get it all disabled and start pressing on! As said to a few others, would be good to get a few of these Z's out on track together some time.

8 hours ago, MrLizard said:

we have done - sort of depends on who is running it to be honest :) 

I will try and get you a photo, i have one somewhere but struggling to find it, we have used the robot arm stuff in the inlets on the nismo v2 bumper and then on to the back of the discs at an angle. It would be better with a scoop that goes into the veins of the disc but would require some more fab work

Ah like that is it!

Yeah would be good if you do find it. It's really not the easiest car in the world to get some ducting through. I did get BG to put a couple of little tapping for me on the caliper bracket to attach something to direct air to the center of the discs but its getting it to that point with minimal restrictions that's tricky! 

Seen a few pics of naca ducts on the under tray routed up, but I wouldn't know if that's good enough on its own for what I'm doing with the car! Need some of those temp strips for before and after when I do hook something up to make sure it's actually working.

Also I read that the closer to the center of the front of the car the intake is the better, as air starts to move sideways from the center as you travel through the air so less and less air is entering the ducting if you put the intakes on either side of the front bumper (where it looks right to put them)

Nothing's simple!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a disaster today's was at Cadwell Park!! Arrived to thick fog that just would not clear......delayed the start till 12:45.....we got sighting laps done and then it stayed open for long enough to get one run in till visibility stopped play!!

Luckily Chris and the team at Circuit Days are such top guys and great track day organisers that a voucher has been emailed out for a few ££ off the next booking! But its Cadwell and I really wanted to get on it there today!!

Didn't get a chance to test the new brakes but from the very short run I did get in I can say that hitting the brakes at around the same points I'd used to use I was scrubbing so much speed off I had to get back on the throttle to the turn in point!! So safe to say they are very impressive and I can't wait to the next track trip!

Few pics........from the one run!!

2ygGxs3l.jpg

CT36xTVl.jpg

GqVr7ynl.jpg

Getting hassled by a turbo Renault Sport Clio!.....good fun!

6BBuODLl.jpg

EwChDusl.jpg

CcCuCGol.jpg

Didn't even get the camera on..........and I'd upgraded my Harry's Laptimer for video overlay.......next time!

• Like 2

Couple of things I forgot to write.....

Firstly, now I've done a bit of driving since swapping out the shifter/detent springs in the 'box, I definitely think there is an improvement to the shift. Its very slightly firmer, more positive and just a more quality shift. Around town I honestly don't think you'd notice but when rushing through the 'box during fast road or track work.

Secondly, I bought myself a Tonwon Bluetooth OBD adaptor, so I could a ) pair it with Harry's Laptimer for overlaying info to my track vids and b ) I downloaded the app auto doctor so I could monitor a few things just out of interest. One thing of interest was the intake temps, as like everyone I'd heard about the heat soaking through the use of the Stillen Gen 3  long tube intakes. I was giving some thought to wrapping them or coating them. When the car was sat the temps did rise up and especially when returning after use they were high, but that's not when I need to make power! When driving and even on track the temps sat at 3-4degrees above ambient always which I was very happy about! On a dyno maybe the temps are higher than with standard air boxes.....which is why mapping live is best...... and going down the road or round the track where it matters these intakes do work very well.

• 3 weeks later...

So after the disappointment of Cadwell and the fog situation I went ahead and booked on to an evening session at Donington Park last week with BookaTrack and with perfect weather and about 20 cars booked on it was great to string a few laps together and finally give the brakes a try out...........well they're definitely an improvement offering huge stopping power gains over previous setup (which was already pretty good!) and contributed to knocking 1.5secs off my previous best lap with a 1min25.00secs (think I would've got in to the 1:24's too but I lifted off before the line on my last quick lap which is pretty annoying).

Only issue now is the heat!! The car was stinking like never before of hot metal.......so I have now ordered some ducting as my next job to give them a nice feed of cool air to keep temps under control.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nissanman312 said:

Blimey looks like you can peddle well and the track looks lovely and clear 

What tyres are you on ? 

Cheers! Donington is such a great track to have quiet like this and string a few laps together at

Tyres are Yokohama AD08R's 

29 minutes ago, 350Butcher said:

Cheers! Donington is such a great track to have quiet like this and string a few laps together at

Tyres are Yokohama AD08R's 

My pal asked me if I wanted to do a evening sesh there next month I'm tempted after watching that 

I might struggle on noise tho with De cats 

I'm hoping to get a couple extra silencers poped into my invidia to make it more sociable 

If you do make a load of ducting for the brakes, please do post up a bunch of pics for what you've done !

I did Anglesey on Sunday, wowza - great place and started to get the hang of it towards the end of the day. No issues with brakes this time for me (especially after pulling the correct fuse - ;) ) but I remember last year on a hot day at Snett I cooked the fluid a bit.

Pads have been excellent ! (RC5+)

Diff and AD08R's next (hopefully).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

My pal asked me if I wanted to do a evening sesh there next month I'm tempted after watching that 

I might struggle on noise tho with De cats 

I'm hoping to get a couple extra silencers poped into my invidia to make it more sociable 

To be fair I've had terrible evening sessions there too! A million idiots causing red flags literally every other lap, drives me mad..........but this one was as good as it gets! 

I have to quieten my car from its 102Db drive by for Donington and use a pair of Decibel Devils that were recommended by RobPhoboS. Bought from www.advantage-motorsport.co.uk they do the business very well...........admittedly not too pretty so for full time solution added silencers would be better. Think I'm right in saying the end trims are removable on the invidia so you can buy the smaller Db Devil and clamp it straight on to the pipes so it's a little nicer than my huge ones that have to go over the trims!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RobPhoboS said:

If you do make a load of ducting for the brakes, please do post up a bunch of pics for what you've done !

I did Anglesey on Sunday, wowza - great place and started to get the hang of it towards the end of the day. No issues with brakes this time for me (especially after pulling the correct fuse - ;) ) but I remember last year on a hot day at Snett I cooked the fluid a bit.

Pads have been excellent ! (RC5+)

Diff and AD08R's next (hopefully).

I'm on it as the brakes need it desperately, all the bits arrive tomorrow and hopefully I'll get something installed over the weekend. I will post pics up of what I end up with.........lets hope it works and its pretty, there's plenty in the way!!

Great track! What layout did you do? I want to go back and do the coastal as the GP cuts out what looks like one of the best bits....the cork screw. Glad you got the fuse out, makes a big difference doesn't it? Love the fast right that sweeps up the hill to that big stop for the blind 90 left!

Good choices! Any idea which diff you're gonna go with? Would highly recommend looking at swapping the final drive at the same time as diff install too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

To be fair I've had terrible evening sessions there too! A million idiots causing red flags literally every other lap, drives me mad..........but this one was as good as it gets! 

I have to quieten my car from its 102Db drive by for Donington and use a pair of Decibel Devils that were recommended by RobPhoboS. Bought from www.advantage-motorsport.co.uk they do the business very well...........admittedly not too pretty so for full time solution added silencers would be better. Think I'm right in saying the end trims are removable on the invidia so you can buy the smaller Db Devil and clamp it straight on to the pipes so it's a little nicer than my huge ones that have to go over the trims!

Thanks for that 

I will have a look into it 

I will have to be careful tho with the charger on 

That said I will be getting a map check once extra silencers go in 

On 19/06/2018 at 20:38, nissanman312 said:

Thanks for that 

I will have a look into it 

I will have to be careful tho with the charger on 

That said I will be getting a map check once extra silencers go in 

I was a bit concerned about additional back pressure with these things clamped on but I honestly can't say the car feels noticeably slower or any less responsive with or without but they do drop me from 102Db to under 98Db so they do the business

I looked into a bespoke exhaust to meet these latest strictest noise limits more commonly found at track venues these days but when it was around £1500+vat I thought I'll stick with these little bolt ons! One day maybe!

On 19/06/2018 at 17:05, 350Butcher said:

I'm on it as the brakes need it desperately, all the bits arrive tomorrow and hopefully I'll get something installed over the weekend. I will post pics up of what I end up with.........lets hope it works and its pretty, there's plenty in the way!!

Great track! What layout did you do? I want to go back and do the coastal as the GP cuts out what looks like one of the best bits....the cork screw. Glad you got the fuse out, makes a big difference doesn't it? Love the fast right that sweeps up the hill to that big stop for the blind 90 left!

Good choices! Any idea which diff you're gonna go with? Would highly recommend looking at swapping the final drive at the same time as diff install too.

Awesome, I really look forward to seeing what you come up with !

I've saved a few examples from the US forum, and there is some corvette ducting that might help the first part too (I found it on ebay - naturally).

We did the coastal layout, so yes we got the corkscrew !

Which was soooo cool, like a mini Laguna Seca but with a far more interesting and stunning view :)

Yep, once it was pulled I tried to just build the speed up but realised that it's actually very progressive (at least in my hands/feet) and very enjoyable.

No brake problems for me either, the day flirted with some heat but ultimately pretty cool and breezy so zero issues with braking.

I thought of the Kaaaaaa44aaaAAAaaaz ('quiet'), yeah I thought about an FD as well. Need another job with better pay !

How about you, what did you go for again ?

21 hours ago, RobPhoboS said:

Awesome, I really look forward to seeing what you come up with !

I've saved a few examples from the US forum, and there is some corvette ducting that might help the first part too (I found it on ebay - naturally).

We did the coastal layout, so yes we got the corkscrew !

Which was soooo cool, like a mini Laguna Seca but with a far more interesting and stunning view :)

Yep, once it was pulled I tried to just build the speed up but realised that it's actually very progressive (at least in my hands/feet) and very enjoyable.

No brake problems for me either, the day flirted with some heat but ultimately pretty cool and breezy so zero issues with braking.

I thought of the Kaaaaaa44aaaAAAaaaz ('quiet'), yeah I thought about an FD as well. Need another job with better pay !

How about you, what did you go for again ?

Well I've come up with something so I'll get some info and pics up soon. A lot of what I've seen I'd be surprised if it'll still be on the car after a trip out on track and would definitely contact the tyre on full lock which both issues I'm trying to not have! The Z's front end is not the kindest to find a route through and the suspension setup and arb location cut off all options too.....not ideal then!

Very jealous! It looks like a really cool drop/corner. We did the GP which that section is rubbish cos you drive out just to drive back again and all to miss out a great corner complex! It was all that was available when we were though and I really wanted to tick the Anglesey box.........plus its a good reason to go again

Glad you got the fuse out and enjoyed the car/day/track........too much heat is not normally something you need to worry about in North Wales!

Don't know anything about them but sure I've only read good reviews from people with them, although its worth checking what uses people are reviewing them for drifting or track work. Its a bit of extra work involved with installing the FD as the diff gets fully rebuilt with clearances and mesh between pinion gear and crown wheel all need setting etc which actually sounds harder than it is you just need a few of the right tools and some common sense about it all to make sure its to tolerance.

I installed a 1-way OS Giken superlock with OEM Nissan 3.9FD and bearings, seals etc........together they make really good gains in the car on track and are silent during road work too

• Like 1

Brake ducting then?! This is my go at it and my opinions on it.......feel free to offer up ideas and opinions of your own, I wont be offended  and would welcome the input.

After my latest run at Donington it was immediately apparent that some cooling was required! After looking and looking online it seems there's a lot of discussion with very few doing it. After crawling under the Z I think the reasons are fairly obvious why and its that there is no easy way to run it. Something like the Stillen setup available for the 370z is the way I wanted to go but sadly the 350z doesn't have either the access available around the inner arch/chassis leg nor the space to run the ducting through to the hub as the arb is mounted far higher and above the lower wishbone unlike the 370's which is under giving a passage through. Every idea I had and route I created was OK till I started turning to full lock then the ducting would touch and the ducting would be torn apart! With ducting all the way to the center of the disc looking impossible I thought I'd just try and get a lot of air flowing to inside and through the wheel to expel all the hot air that sits in there and cooks the brakes. I have ordered some AP temp strips to stick on the calipers to see how hot they are getting on track (meant to do this before so I had a comparison but forgot!)

2 things I wanted to achieve were,

I didn't want to mount the ducting to parts with lots of movement where it would rub through etc

I wanted the intakes to be forward facing for maximum air flow.......sounds simple on the front of a car! However a lot of inlets I've seen are on the outer edges of the bumper and as the bumper is swept back at this point the air is moving sideways across the inlet and not directly into it.

So.....I stripped the car down and started to make something.

Only place I could find that I could find to mount the inlets that would take air directly through the front grill was in the very bottom corners of the front panel. Passenger side was a little tricky with the oil cooler mounted there and required a little cut out to work but they're in

cz7apWhl.jpg

pGFd3HUl.png

fpw5Xyll.jpg

With intakes in I wanted to mount a bracket to hold the ducting outlet as close as possible and also maintain air flow during use of the car. My idea was to create a mount that would attach to the arb's drop link mount (with the eibach bars there's 2 holes which is a benefit) this way as the suspension moves through it travel it would stay flowing air inside the wheel and not in sometimes and others just blowing the tyre etc

cC1gF2pl.jpg

KDqTASMl.jpg

On full lock as close as possible.......be OK clearance once bracket is trimmed and finished

ufXWdKXl.jpg

And finally hook up some ducting! I used 76mm ducting, the route is very short goes dead straight with only 1 swept bend to aim air inside the wheel and at brakes so the loses in flow will be minimal. It doesn't touch anything and I'll be able to trim the plastic trims where needs be and drill a hole either side of the ducting just to run a zip tie around to secure and support it.

LgV3NpNl.jpg

KYPSUQWl.jpg

qmI34kpl.jpg

9XxTmTGl.jpg

y5W4pN3l.jpg

What do people think?? Its been a real pig of a job so I hope it does the business! Its a lot of air that it didn't have before flowing through the wheel so I'm confident that it'll keeps temps down but I'll have my AP temp strips on the brakes when it goes to Spa next month and I'll keep an eye on things that nothing moves, rubs etc and see how it goes.............just the passenger side to make now!!

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 2

Looks good.... (though I'm not exactly an authority on these things lol)

I was wondering if it would be possible to take the reflectors out and route from there? I've been thinking about getting long tube stillens/injens myself and was considering whether this would be viable to help airflow to them (or just help keep engine bay temps down). Haven't had a chance to take the front bumper off yet and figure it out (not to mention being fairly green to all this modding business).

On 25/06/2018 at 17:11, Foo56 said:

Looks good.... (though I'm not exactly an authority on these things lol)

I was wondering if it would be possible to take the reflectors out and route from there? I've been thinking about getting long tube stillens/injens myself and was considering whether this would be viable to help airflow to them (or just help keep engine bay temps down). Haven't had a chance to take the front bumper off yet and figure it out (not to mention being fairly green to all this modding business).

Cheers!

I don't think there's a route from the reflector and I'm not sure how much air you'd get through there but everything's possible! Smaller washer bottles and custom intakes to install on the reflector mounts and I'm sure you could get it to work.

Edited by 350Butcher

Drivers side finished up!

I'm quite happy how its turned out......plenty of air and subtly installed

Upr5jcZl.jpg

eXL5oW9l.jpg

8cKWan3l.jpg

Apologies for the state of the car!! When its back on the floor it'll be getting a wash!!

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Looks really good. Use for our radiators around the house however should work for brakes between hot lap

Cheers!

Thanks for the link.......I've meant to buy one of them for ages, more for the tyres than the brakes but good for checking everything inc brakes to diff too

Think I need a link to all your car cleaning stuff too after seeing your car next to mine!!

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Haha 1

• 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR build
  • 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built