Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built

350Butcher

Cheers Rob! I keep updating it so its nice to know people still wanna see it!  Yes, would be good to get on track with a you and some others from the forum this year. 

Not done a toggle or switch but I've always just pulled the VDC fuse out when on track  

• Like 1

I've not tried pulling the fuse yet but I'm tempted to make a toggle. I'll post a link to the thread I found a while back (once I've found it heh).

Obviously I'll take it easy once it's disconnected but did you notice anything drastically different ?

4 hours ago, RobPhoboS said:

I've not tried pulling the fuse yet but I'm tempted to make a toggle. I'll post a link to the thread I found a while back (once I've found it heh).

Obviously I'll take it easy once it's disconnected but did you notice anything drastically different ?

For me the fact it only takes 2 seconds to pull out and put back the fuse kinda made me not wanna mess around wiring something in........that said suppose it's still easier to flick a switch!

When I first got my Z (the first DE one) I took it to Donington and every time I turned into the old hair pin at the bottom of craner the car suddenly started jolting and clunking and I honestly thought my wheel was about to fall off!! Turns out even with the TC turned off that stability control if it senses over a certain g (or what ever its looking at) decides that while turning into a bend at 80mph ish that its a great idea to start grabbing brakes seemingly randomly and for no apparent reason and scaring the s**t out of me!!

So......from that day onward I've always pulled the VDC fuse......no abs, no tc, no scary sc making me think the cars falling apart.......happy days!! With fuse removed, I'm convinced that the brake pedal feels firmer and more consistent, maybe the abs bleeds off a bit of brake pressure and without abs cutting in a bit early (although I never found that a huge issue in the dry but it was in the wet) allowing for later and harder braking. Without the tc and sc is where the real benefits are though, the car is free to move around under you and you can really enjoy and load up the sweetly balanced chassis that the Z is gifted with. I, like you've said, was a bit nervous when I first pulled it (and removed the "safety" of the systems) but the truth is if you have good brakes and tyres and decent geometry then the Z is not a big scary oversteering monster its a really nice, balanced and exploitable car. Even when it does get out of shape its controllable and forgiving. Even in the wet the fuse stays out and behaves the same albeit at the lower speeds. I think that when the systems are active we assume that every time that light flashes and the power is cut we automatically think "oh that's good, the car just saved me" but the truth is there's so much more to lean on its actually activating really early and being intrusive and stopping your speed and momentum and therefore driving pleasure and enjoyment!! Which the mighty Z has tons of...........with the fuse out!!......Try it and just build yourself up I bet you go loads quicker and feel more confident.

The one and only down side to removing it is that the dash lights up like a christmas tree, but I don't think there's anything you can do about that so its a miner niggle to put up with for the benefits of it being out.

Sorry for the very long answer!!

• Like 3

I made this little switch :) Works like a charm and I can't imagine driving on a track with this thing on :wacko:

36340838441_1631813eb3_c.jpg

@350Butcher your beefed up steering wheel is on a wrong side mate! ;P

As far as my engine mods are concerned, I've ordered Tomei 272/11,3 (i) / 272/11 (e) cams, Mike Upton's 3" intakes with velocity strack filters and Z1 shorties. If my buddy Coobcio Garage - our national treasure that builds 4.0L NA hr and 4.3L NA vhr - gives me a good deal on 3,7L, I'll probably go for it!

I am organising this little series over here (www.timeattackpoland.pl) for the first time and I could use some proper engine mods and aero to show off my ride! We're like 10 yrs beind you guys! (www.timeattack.co.uk)

Savanna's car is my benchmark (except for the engine swap)

Edited by GodISmE
  • Like 1

AWESOME - thank you for the encouraging information !

I can understand about not wanting to make a switch 'just in case', although since I've now lost my heated driver seat, I may use that instead to do the switching on/off. Although I think I'll just try it out first like you by pulling the fuse.

I know exactly what you mean about it doing very odd things to the car when going around the track, and I've noticed my rear pads have worn down a lot even though TC is turned off !

On 2/10/2018 at 01:25, GodISmE said:

I made this little switch :) Works like a charm and I can't imagine driving on a track with this thing on :wacko:

@350Butcher your beefed up steering wheel is on a wrong side mate! ;P

As far as my engine mods are concerned, I've ordered Tomei 272/11,3 (i) / 272/11 (e) cams, Mike Upton's 3" intakes with velocity strack filters and Z1 shorties. If my buddy Coobcio Garage - our national treasure that builds 4.0L NA hr and 4.3L NA vhr - gives me a good deal on 3,7L, I'll probably go for it!

I am organising this little series over here (www.timeattackpoland.pl) for the first time and I could use some proper engine mods and aero to show off my ride! We're like 10 yrs beind you guys! (www.timeattack.co.uk)

Savanna's car is my benchmark (except for the engine swap)

One thing I have wondered regarding fitting a switch......can you just flick it on/off on the move? I'm assuming you still get all the lights up on the dash too?

Haha I don't know how you drive so quick from the passenger seat!! I'm terrible in the rentals on holiday!

Build plans sounds promising........keep me posted on the progress.......sounds like you're in safe hands with Coobcio's wealth of experience with the VQ

Good luck with the timeattack plans....some of the UK Pro stuff is insanely advanced. Read up on Savanna's car, has got some nice bits on it........and in it!

Edited by 350Butcher

On 2/10/2018 at 18:02, RobPhoboS said:

AWESOME - thank you for the encouraging information !

I can understand about not wanting to make a switch 'just in case', although since I've now lost my heated driver seat, I may use that instead to do the switching on/off. Although I think I'll just try it out first like you by pulling the fuse.

I know exactly what you mean about it doing very odd things to the car when going around the track, and I've noticed my rear pads have worn down a lot even though TC is turned off !

No worries.....Yeah give it a go......I promise you wont go back to having it fitted after you've tried it out! 

• Like 1

Jeez that guy does some talking!!

So the small single dark red, 50A fuse marked VDC on the fuse cover next the large triple fuse he’s banging on about it the one.

Pull that out and everything is deactivated for you, put it back in and all is restored. 

Edited by 350Butcher

1 hour ago, 350Butcher said:

Jeez that guy does some talking!!

So the small single dark red, 50A fuse marked VDC on the fuse cover next the large triple fuse he’s banging on about it the one.

Pull that out and everything is deactivated for you, put it back in and all is restored. 

:lol:

Yep a little editing will help but I like that he does regular videos on the 350z, more the merrier !

Doing the method you've suggested, does that cause any issues with the speedometer/brake lights not working ?

(mind you, I'd only be on track doing this)

note: my car is down with Sly having the gearbox/clutch stuff done.

Edited by RobPhoboS

Yeah I do quite like the guy........a bit of his advice/mods are questionable though.........plus are there any of him driving the friggin' thing!

I would not want to be on the road or more so track with things like brake lights not working. If you look at my track vids on board or from my brother car looking at mine that all features remain working...........only the bits you don't want working aren't working.

The only thing that happens is that a load of lights are illuminated on the dash when the fuse is out.....cant remember which ones but again have a look at my vids and you'll see the ones that are on.

What you having done with your 'box and clutch? Are you getting a Vibra Technics gearbox mount to go with the engine mounts you've got while its all off?

• Like 1

I've seen 1 video of him but on the road, not on the track :dry:

And yep, he does do and say some things which don't make sense.

Goes on about weight saving, and every lb counts.

Installs GTSpec underbody braces and says they don't do anything but look cool.... er yeah ok bud.:lol:

Great I'll do exactly what you are doing !

I lost 5th gear at Snetterton back in the summer, so I've been driving around without using 5th gear. We're sure it's (hopefully) just the synchro that failed, considering the mileage now at 125k. Also I've done around 50k miles since I bought it and I've no idea when the clutch/fw was done, so I thought it was worth doing it since everything was coming out anyway. I went for the light weight JWT kit.

I already had a gearbox mount (Torque Solutions poly) but I want to get the vibra one as I hope it won't have an annoying resonant vibration at around 3000rpm when coasting. Shudders the car for a few second, a bit disconcerting sometimes when you forget about it :blush:

Next up will be the timing chain :wacko:

I'll measure the tensioner next week but I'm sure it'll need doing soon.

Always important to have a stripped out car when you're driving to the shops eh!

It definitely works on DE and HR cars as I did it with both my cars for years.

Suppose its better 5th than any of the others, its probably the least used gear of them all! Hopefully it is just synchro for you and its a relatively easy fix (not sure how big or small it is on a Z 'box).  If you've not already got single mass flywheel then that makes a noticeable difference to rev response and delivery.

When I approached them to make that mount it was because I wanted the benefits of an uprated item without the annoying noises and they delivered, doesn't make any detectable change in NVH but makes a noticeable benefit to shifting on track under high loads! Really like it.......a quality made part too.

Perfect time to get a set of cams in while that's off isn't it???

• Like 1

It's the yaw sensor you're looking for guys :) If you install a switch,  TC and VDC/ESP stays off until you turn the engine off and back on.

BTW. Do any of you know the guys running UK Time Attack? E.  g. Simon Slade? 

Edited by GodISmE
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GodISmE said:

It's the yaw sensor you're looking for guys :) If you install a switch,  TC and VDC/ESP stays off until you turn the engine off and back on.

BTW. Do any of you know the guys running UK Time Attack? E.  g. Simon Slade? 

I don't think its got anything to do with yaw angle or "70%" of tc.........I don't think its as high tech as that.

I was of the understanding its simply a G sensor that remains live after tc has been switched off that if tripped, from high speed cornering on track or super aggressive low speed cornering drifting, then it starts interfering by cutting engine, grabbing brakes etc 

Good video though.....that's how to do it.....think I'd probably install a covered switch inside the ash tray or storage box bit if I did it.

Andy Barnes of Sumo Power fame is the main man behind Time Attack I believe.....I have a friend of a friend who runs his VX220 in Club Pro though so could ask him for info regarding it all

• 1 month later...

I have finally booked my first trackday at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps for Tues 17th July!!! Been wanting to do this track forever!

Run by the Mlr (but will feature a good mix of cars I expect), they have secured a double header in July this year (it'll still pour with rain of course!!). Cost for non Mlr member £399................member price £359............cost of member ship £20...........!!!!???? 

All the details here if anyone fancy's it........I'm really looking forward to this one!

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=555786 

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

FINALLY!......I have some brakes!

So after dropping these off at the start of Feb to have this kit made waiting 6 weeks to be told they'd not even been looked at I had to take them back and join the back of someone elses queue! Very annoying but luckily the someone else was BG Developments and they've been superb. From tour around the facility on arrival to the final result.

I did make one big change to the job and that was to drop from using AP's street range of 362mm discs to 343mm which gives me better options. I've gone with PFC's motorsport 343mm disc saving over a KG in each corner in the process. The rest of the job is how I specified it, which was to relocate the caliper to a more forward position to help with reducing pad knock off on track (the calipers also have 4lbs anti-knockback springs installed to help with that too) and run a floating discs to bell mounting. Also had two small tappings added to attach some cooling ducts to when I get a chance to sort that out.

Worth mentioning that this setup is only 400g heavier than my previous setup which used the PFC 2 piece floating discs so would be lighter than oem Brembo setup using 1 piece discs!

Can't wait to get these fitted!

Pics of the process......from the very start as a 4.5" x 2.5" block

7HNVvTJl.jpg

Machined down

AgpZEMWl.jpg?1

And then the final product.......they get assigned their own part no. from BG and I didn't realise my name would feature as part of that which was quite cool. As these are custom and one of one I wanted to just add a little something and I asked Dave about laser etching  the 350Z logo with the cars reg below on the bells........and he delivered and I think its a nice touch

All laid out ready to assemble......

rdxyFqll.jpg?1

Brackets

dBQx2YGl.jpg

Etched bells

nXQb4vEl.jpg?1

1ZQqyTul.jpg?1

Installed

In4vMKbl.jpg

H2Jsjr1l.jpg

OzDmGvPl.jpg

bWsQzhFl.jpg