Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built

350Butcher

13 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Dude, you got mad skills with spanners!! You must be able to place the nose on a dime now. 

Cheers! The front end is very good....I'll let you know how much better it is with these bits after tomorrows Anglesey Coastal track day which is a good front end tester!

• Thanks 1

Just realised the car has come on a bit over the last year or so, here's the current specs as is today

Chassis:

MCS Motion Control Suspension 2WNR coilovers inc bearing top mounts all round

SPL front upper camber/caster arms

SPL rear toe links

SPL rear camber links

SPL rear traction arms

SPL FK spherical bearings throughout

SPL bump steer correction tie rod ends

Eibach ARB with whiteline drop links

Whiteline subframe and diff bushes

Bespoke alignment @QPrep

Nismo Rays 18" LMGT4 wheels

Yokohama AD08R 255/40R18 front 265/40R18 rear

Drivetrain:

Xtreme clutch kit inc single mass flywheel and clutch slave cylinder fix

B&M short shifter

Mtec Industries shifter / detent springs

OS Giken superlock diff with Millers CRX LS 75w140 NT+

Brakes:

Front: AP CP5555 6 pot calipers with Pagid RSL29 pads / 343mm PF Performance Friction floating discs with custom BGdevelopments brackets and bells

Rear: Standard Brembo calipers and discs with Pagid RS42 pads

Goodridge braided hoses all round

Homemade 76mm cooling ducting to front brakes

PFC RH665 brake fluid

Engine:

Tomei ProCams (Exh and Inlet 272 degree / 10.8mm lift)

Tomei valve springs

Ported and reprofiled heads and inlet manifold

CNC valve seat cut

PPE long tube race manifolds with parallel merge collector

Motordyne XYZ y pipe

Tanabe medalion exhaust

Boundary Gears billet oil pump gears

R35 Injectors

Stillen Gen3 long intakes with K&N filters

HPS rad and heater hoses

Koyo radiator and cap

Mocal oil cooler with homemade cowling

Millers CFS 10w50 NT+ (changed every 2 track days)

343hp@7250rpm (Dyno Dynamics)

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 4

On 16/09/2018 at 10:22, davey_83 said:

Crazy spec and looks such a sleeper. Performance to show a Cayman GTS the tail no doubt!!! 

Its mad when you write it all out and see how much you’ve done........and spent!!!! At least labour is something I’ve never had to pay for!!!

Its ability is in a different league to the standard car and will run with some well driven, serious machinery that costs well over double what the Z was so I’m always happy! 

Anglesey gave us every weather condition in one day yesterday and the big Z remainder progressive, feelsome, faithful and most importantly great fun to drive through it all!!! Think I’ll hang on to it for many many years to come. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a fab day!!

Do you reckon you'd benefit from slightly wider rear tyres or would the extra weight/drag not make performance advantageous? 

I want a road passenger ride one day!!

Edited by davey_83

On 18/09/2018 at 09:50, davey_83 said:

Sounds like a fab day!!

Do you reckon you'd benefit from slightly wider rear tyres or would the extra weight/drag not make performance advantageous? 

I want a road passenger ride one day!!

Really is a great circuit, the Coastal layout is the one to do too........the GP layout adds nothing that's special or fun while taking out the Corkscrew which is both!!

I had 255/275 tyres before (albeit on 19@ wheels) and I much prefer the balance with the 265 rears through the really fast corners, keeps the car very neutral, through low speed tight corners the rear can struggle to keep up with the front though. Damper adjustment can dial that out but can also start to introduce understeer so I tend to leave it as it's how I like it to be honest. 

I'm sure when the dates are good for me to join you for a drive out you can jump in and have a sample and see what you think.

19 hours ago, reeceybeaney said:

Awesome specB) what would be the best performance mod out of the lot, guessing cams? What made the biggest difference?

Hard to say........as always though its the chassis and brakes that make the biggest difference's and result in faster lap times. The subframe bushes made big difference over stock mushy items as did the recent SPL bump steer correction tie rod ends I've been banging on about a bit. Ditching the huge, heavy dual mass flywheel helps with engine response quite a lot too. Obviously the big ticket parts like the MCS dampers are superb especially given the spring rates are double what my old Bilsteins were and it gives a more compliant ride when dialed down. The AP brakes are lot more powerful than the stock Brembo's, much more so than I thought they would be to be honest. Even installing bucket seats is a huge mod as you can feel so much more through your bum which enables you to drive and push everything harder.

If its just engine mods.......hard to say as I did everything at once and gained around 30Hp in the process. The cams are definitely essential at changing the way it delivers the power now. It pulls so much harder from 3500-4000rpm all the way to 7500rpm rather than falling on its ar*e at 6800ish, but to maximise on the cams I installed the PPE manifolds and had the porting and profiling work done on the heads so I can't really say on one thing alone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 350Butcher said:

Hard to say........as always though its the chassis and brakes that make the biggest difference's and result in faster lap times. The subframe bushes made big difference over stock mushy items as did the recent SPL bump steer correction tie rod ends I've been banging on about a bit. Ditching the huge, heavy dual mass flywheel helps with engine response quite a lot too. Obviously the big ticket parts like the MCS dampers are superb especially given the spring rates are double what my old Bilsteins were and it gives a more compliant ride when dialed down. The AP brakes are lot more powerful than the stock Brembo's, much more so than I thought they would be to be honest. Even installing bucket seats is a huge mod as you can feel so much more through your bum which enables you to drive and push everything harder.

If its just engine mods.......hard to say as I did everything at once and gained around 30Hp in the process. The cams are definitely essential at changing the way it delivers the power now. It pulls so much harder from 3500-4000rpm all the way to 7500rpm rather than falling on its ar*e at 6800ish, but to maximise on the cams I installed the PPE manifolds and had the porting and profiling work done on the heads so I can't really say on one thing alone

I suppose a lot of mods have been done as you use the car quite heavily on track, every mod compliments the other!

Glad you said about ditching the DMF as I've just picked up an upgraded exedy clutch kit and a SMF which I'll be looking at getting fitted soon! 

With all the different mods all around, I bet it doesn't even resemble a standard 350z anymore. Awesome mate :thumbs:

1 hour ago, reeceybeaney said:

I suppose a lot of mods have been done as you use the car quite heavily on track, every mod compliments the other!

Glad you said about ditching the DMF as I've just picked up an upgraded exedy clutch kit and a SMF which I'll be looking at getting fitted soon! 

With all the different mods all around, I bet it doesn't even resemble a standard 350z anymore. Awesome mate :thumbs:

I do track it but I've also taken it on holidays to the south of France for the last couple of years so everything I've done to it has been with keeping it as a usable road car too..........I've done the solid, stripped out, roll caged, fixed bucket seat bolted to the floor type track car and it's too compromised on the road where I still want it to work so it's been important to keep it sensible........even though the specs look pretty hardcore!

You'll enjoy the benefits of swapping the flywheel/clutch!

Cheers!! The Z inherent balance and behaviors are all still alive and well in the car its just its ability has been lifted in all areas.....currently every element is as good as the next so there's no weakest link or having to compensate for any weak brakes or gutless engine or anything so I really enjoy getting out and driving it to the best of my ability

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Damn that rally  370z has LOTS of traction. Amazing. Where can I find the car specs?

Finished my new NA engine build a few weeks ago :) Around 412 hp (crank) with stock intakes and headers for now. Should be over 430hp with PPE and custom made CAI. VHR bottom, my old HR heads, 280/272 Tomei cams, lightweight CP pistons and compression increased to 1:11,6. What are your plans ?

Edited by GodISmE
  • Like 1

Always too much for me to catch up with on her !

Thanks for always sharing, unlike me - I'm rubbish !

:lol:

I've not done the outer tie rods yet, sounds like a worth while purchase.

As you know I've done nearly all of the other suspension parts to SPL spherical bushings too, I guess it makes sense to get that as well.

Donor engine ?

Which reminds me... I need to do the flipping timing chain soon, and er I should also get on with pulling the engine and fixing the oil burning issue...as well as slinging some nicer cams and long tubes in.

Oh and the brake ducts.

and some other stuff :headhurt:

On 19/09/2018 at 18:44, 350Butcher said:

Vid from the trackday, first 2 laps are as dry as it got the next 2 are greasy but were good fun.........still 90mph through right hander up to Rocket!!

Best lap was 1:24.05

Nice 

Do you ever get any issues with fuel serge on track ?

12 hours ago, GodISmE said:

Damn that rally  370z has LOTS of traction. Amazing. Where can I find the car specs?

Finished my new NA engine build a few weeks ago :) Around 412 hp (crank) with stock intakes and headers for now. Should be over 430hp with PPE and custom made CAI. VHR bottom, my old HR heads, 280/272 Tomei cams, lightweight CP pistons and compression increased to 1:11,6. What are your plans ?

Yeah it looks like its on rails......don't think you'd see which way he went down a B road! It's a guy called Chris Van Woensel but he campaigned this car a few years back now and has moved away from the big Z these days. Engine was a 400hp IES build here in UK.

Great results mate.......got to send me a copy of your dyno sheet? Did you keep the standard rods and rod bolts?

Still finalising specs but

370z 86mm crank

35HR 5.974" forged rods with ARP2000 bolts

96mm 12.5:1 high comp custom pistons to suit "long rods" (possibly looking at CP's, what made you go with them?)

Then drop my modified HR heads on and see how it goes!

12 hours ago, RobPhoboS said:

Always too much for me to catch up with on her !

Thanks for always sharing, unlike me - I'm rubbish !

:lol:

I've not done the outer tie rods yet, sounds like a worth while purchase.

As you know I've done nearly all of the other suspension parts to SPL spherical bushings too, I guess it makes sense to get that as well.

Donor engine ?

Which reminds me... I need to do the flipping timing chain soon, and er I should also get on with pulling the engine and fixing the oil burning issue...as well as slinging some nicer cams and long tubes in.

Oh and the brake ducts.

and some other stuff :headhurt:

Glad people are still reading it..........makes it worth keeping up to date.

Yeah the rod end made a great change to steering, very worth doing. Do really rate the SPL stuff........really happy with my chassis set up as it is now.

Donor engine is for the above build.......getting another engine means car stay's on the road and there's no pressure or rush to complete it.

Sounds like you got plenty to get on with!!

9 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

Nice 

Do you ever get any issues with fuel serge on track ?

Cheers!

No I'm not fast enough for that...........others get issues driving to the shops!! Seriously though, never had a problem, I don't drive on track with less than an indicated 1/4 of a tank which is actually more like half the tanks capacity just in case and it's always run fine through very fast, tight or long right and left handers so I'll just carry on doing what I've been doing for years now.

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, GodISmE said:

Ooooh VERY nice !
Have you got a build thread ? or are you like me :lol:

I'd love to know more about it !

12 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

Donor engine is for the above build.......getting another engine means car stay's on the road and there's no pressure or rush to complete it.

Please keep it up, and I think perhaps I should start my own one, not that it can hold a candle to this one !

In regards to your geo, what have you got it set to now (with all of the SPL parts on), and how would you describe the handling traits whilst on track.
My car feels extremely neutral, it only seems to understeer once the fronts are hot, and only seems to oversteer if I'm on the power too early.

Which reminds me, before I start on the engine I want a nice diff ! (ffs) :doh:

You've gotten me thinking about buying a donor engine and rebuilding that over time.

I guess it'll initially be more expensive but I could sell my old one or keep it for spares. I can see the benefit of doing this, I just have to wait a while to sort GF visa stuff out.

Where did you end up buying your one from out of curiosity?

I can't afford to do a monster build but just getting a bit more out of it would be cool. I seem to remember that it's the top of my DE engine that requires more work rather than the guts of it. So I guess a larger NWP throttle body/intake pipe to match + maybe a redesigned plenum intake (I remember the one on the US forum).

23 hours ago, GodISmE said:

What ECU are you using?  So you are 3.5 or 3.7LTR?  good numbers either way.

3 hours ago, Mark@Abbey m/s said:

What ECU are you using?  So you are 3.5 or 3.7LTR?  good numbers either way.

The VHR is the 3.7 engine and from discussions we've had regarding our builds that's the route we are both going down. I'm planning on using the longer 35hr rods in mine though instead of the 37vhr 5.886" rods.

I'm sure Simon will be along to confirm his specs though.........as you say, great results!

Nice topic and super build.

Maybe you can answer my question as well.

Is it possible to fit an vq37vhr in a 350z? Maybe with a Link ECU to run everything, or are there many other problems to fix with this kind of build?

Good luck with the process.

Edit: Saw a topic about the same question. Would be a hell of a job.

Edited by Bakkums

9 hours ago, Bakkums said:

Nice topic and super build.

Maybe you can answer my question as well.

Is it possible to fit an vq37vhr in a 350z? Maybe with a Link ECU to run everything, or are there many other problems to fix with this kind of build?

Good luck with the process.

Edit: Saw a topic about the same question. Would be a hell of a job.

If it’s a DE 350z it’ll be lot more work as you’ll need to change front panel of the car for twin intakes along with everything else but Mark@abbey has done that so he could tell you verse and chapter of what’s involved there. 

With an HR 350z it would be all the ecu that would need transplanting over and I wouldn’t know how the synchro Rev match gearbox (from the 370z) electronics is tied in with all that but I suspect a major headache!!

But if you have a HR 350z then your block is identical to that of the 3.7 VHR so you can drop your 35HR heads straight on top the 3.7 bottom end, leave all the loom in place and away you go.......nearly!! The pistons from the VHR engine have no valve relief on the exhaust side in them which would be required due to the head swap so pistons are required (or machining of pistons possibly may do) to work with that set up. To change it a bit more you can run the 3.7 crank, longer rods from 35HR (for a more favourable rod ratio for high revs) and then a custom piston to work with that mix or parts from both engines. 

Hope that makes some sense! 

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mark@Abbey m/s said:

You can drop the engine in complete with wiring loom as Syvecs have a Set up for the VHR Motor. We will need some wiring work nothing major thou.

But as Dave said you really need to change the front composite panel for dual intake.

Do syvecs do a plug and play for the 35HR engine? They didn’t last time I asked. Having to buy their ecu to drop in the VHR does add a couple of £000 to the job!!

Whos Dave! I’m Martin.......I’ve been called worse so no probs! 

Sorry :-) Martin! I have a loom made for S8 install in a HR before they brought the S6+ ECU Decided market was too small for the S8 costs.

i am nearly done with a Link Thunder patch loom for our HR powered car. That is going to be a far cheaper install not quite as good as the Syvecs but cheaper patch loom.

• 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR build
  • 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built