Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built

350Butcher

That's a much more track focused set up than I am looking to run especially as I'm planning to stick with using essentially road tyres so don't think I'd create the loads to warrant such high rates.  Hows the on road ride quality with yours on 14/6's? Not sure my old man spine can handle that sort of thing anymore!!

18/9 is race car territory I think, I know the racers run my dampers with 20kg 6" springs in the front with using slicks.  Mine are 11kg 8" which seems to be and feels right, the adjustment in the dampers is very impressive and by far the best I've ever operated with every click being noticeable with a broad range that does go from a genuine fully soft to fully hard so I can really firm the car up on the compression if/when I need to too

My car as is feel really well supported it's not rolling through bends or diving on hard braking much while still giving good travel and a compliance which is creating much better grip and traction than previous set up......Granted I have only done one track day with them on and that was at the Rockingham which is not the best test but I was really impressed, I'll see how I get on at Silverstone on Monday.

Went to Silverstone GP track day on Monday and can't believe how lucky we got with the weather.......bone dry, blue sky and full sun all day long.......they even gave us a bonus 30mins till 16:30 due to good light! Which was a double bonus as driving the final session while the last of the sun set was actually pretty awesome!

Car as always really impressed me, the new set up giving the front end so much better grip and being able to trail brake in and pull it down to the low speed apex's with no understeer is exactly what I was after........could've done with adding a bit of anti roll bar for the long long fast corners but I'll do that for the next one.

Engine wise, it was nice to get some real world performance comparisons down the long straights Silverstone GP layout has to see how it weighs up, it definitely has the legs on a E46 M3 and was on par with my mates M3 Csl and Porsche 997 Carrera S so I was pretty happy with that!

But that is it for this year! Been a very enjoyable year with the car this year and I was a bit sad backing it in to the garage when I got home but already looking forward to 2018 with it.  Have got a few plans for it, I will be making a brake kit using AP racing's forged AP9040 calipers and floating 362mm discs with custom brackets to relocate the caliper to the front most position on the discs to reduce pad knock off (same as Stop Techs trophy kit) and also try and incorporate an intake to attach cooling ducting too also.

Through out 2018 I'm looking to source all the parts to build a forged hi compression (12:1) 3.7litre bottom end around a VQ37 crankshaft, VQ35HR rods and custom pistons......which I'll look to swap out next winter and should give me more revs and unlock a bit more power! I'll obviously keep the build thread up to date as and when I do them

Here's a couple of vids from Silverstone........shame I didn't quite get clear laps in as I'm sure I would've been into the hi 2m30's!............hope you enjoy them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoRigmqXLCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-uoPzrY1c

Edited by 350Butcher

Go for 4.0L straight away! Not much more expensive and you'll get close to 400 bhp. My tuner has just built such an engine for one of my buddies: rebalanced crankshaft from 4.0L Pathfinder, custom made connecting rods, JWT cams, deleted oil squerties, 12.2:1 compression. 

Edited by GodISmE

On 11/8/2017 at 18:22, GodISmE said:

Go for 4.0L straight away! Not much more expensive and you'll get close to 400 bhp. My tuner has just built such an engine for one of my buddies: rebalanced crankshaft from 4.0L Pathfinder, custom made connecting rods, JWT cams, deleted oil squerties, 12.2:1 compression. 

Not heard of this mate, did a bit of looking and seems its based on the DE more so wont really work with HR heads etc so not as easy as the 3.7 conversion. Sounds like a good build though, would like to know how your friend gets on with that though. Share some links when its up and running!

12 hours ago, WillisRR said:

Fantastic stuff mate. Really is a brilliant car and a build I have really enjoyed following.

Plans sound next level! 

Thanks very much sir!!

I only started this build thread cos I was hoping people would enjoy it so its good to hear some have and maybe it'll even encourage a few to get their spanners out and have a go too!

Yeah very looking forward to the next bits going on

18 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

Not heard of this mate, did a bit of looking and seems its based on the DE more so wont really work with HR heads etc so not as easy as the 3.7 conversion. Sounds like a good build though, would like to know how your friend gets on with that though. Share some links when its up and running!

Becasue he's probably the first and only person that built such an engine. It's HR block, pistons and heads with Pathfinder's crankshaft and custom made rods with oil channels.

Up and running well already :) 

PS. Note that stock HR is usually 290-293hp at his dyno.

http://forum.nissanklub.pl/index.php/topic/104200-funlady-z-350z-by-h8r-with-hr/page-5

Edited by GodISmE

I can’t read polish so I hope you were saying something nice about my build!? Ha ha

Like what he’s done. Fair play for doing something new and creating good power. Any idea what his rod ratio was with it? And what’s he planning next with it? 

I’m assuming the oil squirts were deleted cos of clearance, think I’d like to keep them in for piston cooling and lubrication what with the track work the car does. It’s definitely given me something else to look into though and I’ll check in (to look at the pics anyway) and follow his progress. 

Edited by 350Butcher

I was complementing your dyno results there and the fact that the curve goes up to the end and does not go down after 6500rpm :)

Yes, factory squerties were deleted for clearance but the custom made connecting rods have channels that let oil flow to the pistons (not sure what the technical term is for that).

Ratio is 1,592.

I am thinking about this too but I just can't justify the cost of it. 

3,7L is easier and cheaper but I have a feeling that I will be thinking about 4.0 sooner or later so why not go for it now. This tuner said that if he was to do it again, he would use the crankshaft from GTR to get to 3.8L and increased it to 4.15L by widening the cylinders and using different pistons.

Whay do you think? What parts are needed to do the 3,7L conversion? Will you be buying new crankshaft and rods from 370z?

Edited by GodISmE

Yeah I was really aiming at producing power higher up the revs, the cams, head work and manifolds are doing there job up at 6500+rpm where the factory engine is getting asthmatic.

Given that the 4.0lt route requires custom rods and pistons must bump up price quite a bit? also for me I do like the idea of keeping the oil squirters in place as on track they've got to be keeping piston temps cooler and helping lubrication, reducing friction etc (only my opinion, not seen any true tests for or against)

Think the GTR crank would be a hard job as it uses a chain driven oil pump for its semi-dry sump set up unlike the HR's pump gear driven straight off the end of the crankshaft. Unless you can take over the whole block and lubrication system into the 350, which would be great if you can, I doubt its an easy job..........but as always everything is possible if you're determined enough and happy to put the work in!

The reason I really like the 3.7 conversion is because its actually a long rod stroker conversion, it'll be using a VQ37 crankshaft but with the slightly longer VQ35HR rods which gives (IF my maths are right) a good rod ratio for a hi rev application of 1.764 which sits between the 370z's 1.738 and 350z HR 1.863, it does require custom pistons for the 12:5 compression ratio. All together I'd hope to be making power to 8000+rpm and around 370HP..........and all for a fair price considering!

The car will just be wanting for itb's after that..............but that is mega money then!!!!

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2018 at 19:44, djspiritus said:

Great posts dude.

Just about to start the journey, and was after some decent info of where to get the best gains.

Keep up the good work.

How did you find the gen 3s over an uprated panel filter??

Stu

Cheers Stu!

Glad the info in my thread is helpful, it was my motivation for doing it as when I started planning things there was so little on forums about anything.

There's a few bits coming in the next couple of months but nothing too major like last winter.

Can't really comment too much on the gen 3's as I changed so much at the same time, which contributed far more to the gains, but the reason I went for them was because the engine was going to breath so much more I didn't want the std air boxes to be a restriction and hold it back. The std air boxes are actually really good and unless you go down cams, head  work and manifold route I probably would leave them in.

For reference and comparison when you're doing some homework for your own car, there is a dyno comparison that was shown to me. The results of my 285 wheel hp (on Dyno Dynamics dyno) shown below

285 rwhp for a Dyno Dynamics dyno, or

339 rwhp for a Dynojet dyno, or

343 rwhp for a Dynapack dyno, or

291 rwhp for a DynoTorque dyno, or

310 rwhp for a DynoTorque (Torque Performance) dyno, or

285 rwhp for a Mustang dyno, or

320 rwhp for a Mustang (Sound Performance) dyno, or

310 rwhp for a Rototest dyno, or

288 rwhp for a Superflow dyno

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Love your track videos, good safe driving too unlike me at times..

Cheers Davey!!

Of course I do select what I post up though.............but on the whole I like to think I'm quick, safe and considerate

Edited by 350Butcher

Been a bit slow on updates but.........I have one, albeit a small one!

These have just landed with me to start the brake kit

IluiglOm.jpg

They are the AP Racing CP5555, which after turning into some what of a caliper nerd over the last month or so, I chose to use over the newer CP9040 caliper (which does look more shiney and nice) to build my kit with for a number of reasons! They weigh nearly a Kg less per caliper, they use a pad that is nearly 4cm2 larger (so x4) and 1.2mm thicker. They are effectively the race pro series CP5060 caliper with dust seals machined into steel pistons instead on alli items, to make them suitable for road and track use.

I'll be mounting these using custom brakets and bells using AP's 362 x 32mm semi floating discs and ,as always, the Pagid RSL29 pads

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 1

Yeah it puts some scale on them!

No way......I waited 5 years for my set of 18's to come up for sale......

Ap racing template inside my wheel

Iwzx4cqm.jpg

kDaAAoVm.jpg

Pic of an Evo running 362mm CP5555 kit under 18" wheel

h9ozF5Cm.jpg

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GodISmE said:

Just the fronts (AP Racing)? I am waiting for that 3.7L now! :) 

Yeah just the front, rears are fine as are just might have to paint them to de-gold the car

My front brembos have been destroyed by the heat on track, dust seals cooked and crumbled and when I rebuilt them the caliper or pistons are all distorted and don’t slide freely any more. 

The 3.7 build will be through the year........how’s your car getting on? Did you start a build yourself?

Edited by 350Butcher

While I wait for the brakes brackets and bells to be made I decided to treat myself to something I've been toying with doing for a while........

Re-trimmed wheel........its fairly subtle over stock.......but is slightly thicker with smooth top/bottom and perforated sides with silver stitching to match the Recaro's

Pics aren't the best but you get it

nEWbbPql.jpg

iZYrU2Hl.jpg

SFo725Ml.jpg

• Like 2

• 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR build
  • 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built