Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built

350Butcher

I can sort a trackday out I am sure , I will speak to Dave @ Open Track and maybe get a group deal. Just sorting a date might be the issue. Any prefer track? We might bring the 350Z racer as well?

That would be brilliant if we can get something sorted.

Just one thing... NO CATERHAMS !

• Like 1

Yeah let's get it done! Maybe a central track so noone is travelling mega far! I am up for anywhere but must admit Brands is a little far for me so wouldn't be my first choice. Donington, Bedford maybe even Silverstone? May be see if we can attract some 'first timers' out too knowing that there will be a large group of us on hand to help out and ease any worries.... just a thought! Used to set up these days for the S2Ki lot at Blyton and helped lots of forum members get into track days without any worries.

...and lol at the no Caterhams Rob :lol:.

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 1

I can sort a trackday out I am sure , I will speak to Dave @ Open Track and maybe get a group deal. Just sorting a date might be the issue. Any prefer track? We might bring the 350Z racer as well?

That would be great if we could. The date will be the hardest to satisfy everyone I'm sure but put it out there and see how many bite suppose.

I'd say Donington National has got to be best to go for, not only an awesome circuit but central so will be easier for most regarding travel (I would say that being in Warwick)

A caterham free trackday........thats got to be a first

• Like 1

Hehe I think the Caterham comment was aimed at me keeping mine at home :lol:

Definitely not, the Devastator would be awesome.

It's more the experience I've had with how they behave on track, especially when there is loads it gets very irritating pulling over whilst 8 of them wizz by lap after lap, then they go flying off the track etc.

• Like 1

Bookatrack probably have the best dates, do a Friday so it's a bit nicer, like the look of July 21st......£325 ouch! How late in July would you be good with Will?

I'm also yet to find out what my noise level is gonna be with the new setup, hopefully with 2x centre boxes and big ol back back its still sensible as Donny (despite being under a busy flight path!!) has a tight noise limit at 98dB. I'll find out when I go to Anglesey.........could do without having to have a system made for it to hush it up.

Caterhams do seem to hunt in packs so I know what you mean Rob, then again I've had some decent runs trying to hang on to them and tweeked some of my lines for the better in the process so they're not all bad!......they are always indicating which is annoying though.

• Like 1

I'm up for any time in June or July, have Cadwell booked 20th July but no biggie.

Yeah, we have been sent home from Dony before in the Cosworth Westfield due to noise... Annoying when they have to pause mid briefing a a jet takes off over head.

Aye, bloody fibregblass bath tub macano sets :lol: !!!!

Edited by WillisRR

Thanks Mark, had a look at Opentrack the problem is they don't have any events at Donington and although I'd be happy to go to Silverstone they are only there in November, so looks like that may not work out unless they are adding to their calender.

If there is a date at Donington that works for a good sized group then its probably just as well people book themselves on to it, saves agro from people saying they'll come and then not paying etc we could also probably book 1 garage to 2 or 3 cars and share that cost to help.

I'm up for any time in June or July, have Cadwell booked 20th July but no biggie.

Yeah, we have been sent home from Dony before in the Cosworth Westfield due to noise... Annoying when they have to pause mid briefing a a jet takes off over head

Bookatrack also have the 28th July so you get more than a 24hr breather?

It really is such a joke when every 1min they pause the briefing cos they cant shout loud enough to tell me about the low noise limit in place.................and its very clever that their noise measuring gear only detects noise from circuit and not the planes hmmmmm!!

How have I missed this build!!! Awesome stuff, can't wait to see the gains from porting and tomei cams í ½í±í ¼í¿»

Cheers Harry! Yes pretty close now, got it running yesterday, got to tidy few bits up and refit bodywork then change fluids and I'm done, ready for mapping start of May..........looking forward to the results and the numbers but its been all about how it drives for me really and I'm hoping its quite a different car after.

Hopefully it sounds epic while driving better too though!

• Like 2

So yesterday and today I finished up getting the car back together, it was fired up yesterday and run through the cam breaking in procedure and today I went out for a little drive just to finish with the cams and make sure all is OK.

Was really nice to back in the Zed even though I've got to take it so easy, for 1 its pre tune and running rough and 2 its on 8 month old knackered fuel so I cant wait to get it mapped and get in under full load and revved out!

So few pics, got the inlet manifold back on Saturday so got that bolted down............gasket matched inlets

JCgXxy4l.jpg

IMZrpGEl.jpg

Then moved on with plenum and installing new Stillen Gen 3 intakes..........bit of a faff but not too bad (considering the cost they should just fit perfect with no work at all!!) hopefully they're worth it and able to feed the engine with all the air its gonna be wanting after these new parts and mods!

DqtJnkil.jpg

3bq7KtPl.jpg

uGiy6ydl.jpg

Its amazing how long it takes to then tidy up few cables and bits n pieces, fit trim etc back on..............but that's it!

I did take a little vid before and this one today, not the best bit of filming or editing (I'm no Willis!) but it gives you the idea. Under load the noise is different again but mostly in tone and luckily not really in volume so fingers crossed I'm still trackday friendly. Also pleasing is that it feels keener even just pottering around, got to take it so easy though as not only is it pre tune its also on 8 month old knackered fuel but I really cant wait to load it up and rev it out!

• Like 3

I didnt spend loads of money on the car for noise, it's for power!!

To be honest the recording is rubbish!! That's more a reflection of my production skills than the difference in the car, on a proper decent set of speakers the difference is clearer. The tone has completely changed and it's a much purer, crisper engine sound.

Volume wise I'm pleased it's not too loud as I won't be able to go on any tracks + it'll annoy all my neighbours and probably me too eventually on a long road trip.

I'll try and work on a better vid while it's getting mapped and that'll be under load where it sounds pretty angry!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After what feels like an eternity I finally got the car mapped, MoT'd and geo done Thursday/Friday!!

Here goes..........

Being its the first proper drive out since all this work began is was a fairly anxious drive down to Chieveley first thing Thursday morning via a Shell station for a full tank of V-power of course but the car was all good and we arrived at Horsham Developments and I set to swapping out my injectors for the R35 set in the car park

NFJd8j2l.jpg

(I did change the others too)

Then on to the dyno for some results........

@Flywheel

vZyIjozh.jpg

@Wheels

XRJGa43h.jpg

Secretly 100Hp/Ltr was my goal so achieving 98 was OK.........to put that in perspective the Porsche 996 GT3 is 100Hp/Ltr with 360@7200 built at Stuttgart's finest and I was 343@7200 built in a garage somewhere in Warwick.

Forgetting the numbers alone the power curve is so much smoother than previously and the torque line nice and flat and that really shows in the driving. Huge thanks to Jez for his time and skills for making that happen.

Given what I wanted to achieve when I set out starting this latest work I've got to say I am so happy with it, across the ground the car is so much quicker than before and probably more pleasing is just the response of it, it just pulls through the revs and right up to 7200rpm then when you snatch the next gear it drops you straight back into good power again. Paired with its new very tuned N/a sound track it is a very exciting car to drive. On top of the engine mods the other parts I installed along the way are proving very very welcome most of all the new vibra-technics engine and gearbox mounts making the gear change so positive and precise even when really pressing on without introducing any unwelcome noises or vibrations in to the cabin.

If I was to do it all over again I think the only thing I wouldn't bother with was the new head unit I fitted (the one the car came with was chav tastic!) as with its new highly addictive sound track it'll probably never get turned on!

Cheers to everyone who's kept up with the progress of this build its been a pleasure sharing it with you.

• Like 7

Pretty much my favourite build on this forum, you have done all of the work yourself, all mods that have been done serve a purpose. Even after everything you have done the car will still be nice to drive daily without being too harsh and it will be s**t hot on the track aswell, what's not to like.

Power output looks very good considering the car is still N/A plus it will be reliable as you haven't gone crazy.

Perfect balance of performance and looks in my opinion, if you ever want to swap to a fairly stock HR give me a shout 😉

Awesome build thread.

• 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR build
  • 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built