Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built

350Butcher

Don't let me stop you but if you're leaving the engine stock then it won't be worth revving over 6800rpm as it doesn't make any power over that and the standard gears are plenty up to the job for that.

The standard gears have a square profile on one face of the outer pump gear and when revved higher this becomes a weak spot and is the first place to go as a result (you'll see that in the pic you attached). I think all the horror pics to see of the gears in pieces aren't from standard cars and don't tell the full story.

That said no harm in building in strength and reliability either.

Ahh thought you said you were gonna leave the engine stock for a while. In that case it makes sense, the stock design does have that weak spot and like me I'm sure you don't want to be worried about it breaking up instead of enjoying driving the car.

Bit of an update!

So I went down to Surrey to collect the heads on Wednesday, porting work and cnc valve seat cutting all finished. Stayed down at the shop Thursday/Friday to get the all the valves lapped in and the valve clearances set.........building up the heads, measuring clearances, stripping back down, grinding valves, rebuild, recheck clearances........proper ball ache work but all done now!

Got home to find this, which was good news too.

k59VXfcl.jpg

There's a few pics now! First up is how much meat has come out of the heads from the porting

gc0zAiCl.jpg

Heads all washed out, oil and water ways blown through and left to dry in the sun

186EE4Ol.jpg

A few pics of the head work. First pic is one sent through from Steve showing the inlet cnc seat profile vs std. Then a few of the finished job, inlet and exhaust port work, The shaping has removed the "wall" between where the port splits to the 2 valves and also the short side on the exhaust has now got a far straighter run from the big angle it has as stock.

Kfh5FiPl.jpg

oHSvLd0l.jpg

I6DwCc5l.jpg

BA2gtwRl.jpg

So back at home and heads all washed it was actually time to start putting stuff together!! Got to say its felt like ages so I've really enjoyed making some progress with it..............so much so I forgot to take many pics! Who knew oak furniture land made build benches! and the new tomei springs vs stock.......trick oval wire thats allows for lower height at full compression due to the increased lift

kvItPYil.jpg

nSamAP3l.jpg

Heads fully assembled, time to grab the manifolds from the loft and get out in the garage! Had to get my new engine mounts in and the manifolds in place before heads went on

4kdxwg6l.jpg

aUuvVuvl.jpg

Spin in the ARP studs and get the Cosworth gaskets in place then drop the heads back on torque them down and get those long tube manifolds bolted up!

lqO3nZxl.jpg

TwYsJHQl.jpg

0G8pQPBl.jpg

XSuXhqql.jpg

And to finish up this weekends work I got the cams laid in (nice of tomei to remind you of what you've ordered), got the oil gallery gaskets fitted and started the horrible part of siliconing the parts together which I must say after being rather apprehensive of this and the fact this engine uses a lot of the stuff it really isn't as bad as I thought it might be..........I did make life much easier by getting some M6 studding and cutting off a couple of 6" long lengths to act as a guide to slide the rear timing chain cover towards the engine so to get it on perfect first time and not drag any of the silicone off while trying the locate the factory dowels........worked a treat!

7wdkR8Wl.jpg

J1EpG9jl.jpg

Next up to start putting the timing chain on!

• Like 1

Cheers!!

Not sure BC do cams for the HR but didn't really think to look at them anyway. There's a bit more info out there on the tomei cams so it was a bit of a better trodden route........not always the best but you know more what you're gonna get.

The tomeis I thought were a better spec than the JWT cams which have less duration and higher lift, which I thought just gives less time to take advantage of the scavenge I'll get from the new manifolds to draw in air/fuel charge in to the cylinders.

Looking forward to getting on track with the new mounts in, vibratechics have also made me a one off gearbox mount so hopefully I'll have lots of praise for that and it'll be available to all soon. Hoping to firm it up but without the downside of all the vibration and noise coming in the car from the ones currently available

• Like 1

I know your mileage is relatively low but looking at the timing gear while having it open, what parts do you think would be worth replacing at 100k miles when doing the gallery gaskets?

Edited by GodISmE

I know your mileage is relatively low but looking at the timing gear while having it open, what parts do you think would be worth replacing at 100k miles when doing the gallery gaskets?

Its really up to you, could probably change nothing else other than the obvious gaskets and orings. Not sure if there is a quoted time for changing the chain, sprockets and water pump etc but if its been regularly serviced then I'm guessing they will still be OK but worth checking for signs of wear.............will be pricey if it does all want replacing though!

I'd say just get the gaskets changed as they need changing, that gets you up and running again, then when you're ready to do your full build you'll probably want to change everything if its at 100k+ miles

I think I'll just give up spending hours and hours on the internet trying to figure out what to do next and how to do it and I'll just follow everything you do. Seriously! Just out of curiosity, do you have any background in car mechanics or is it just your hobby?

Yeah there's a ton of info on the net and you've got to sieve through fact and fiction which is not always easy!

You might wanna see what results I get first!! But that's why I thought I'd share this build so people can see what I've done and what bits I've used and if it's helpful to others then all the better

Never been a mechanic, just a heating engineer!! I've been lucky to have really good people who are now good friends to ask questions to, learn from and get proper sound advise from since my first engine build about 17 years ago!! Just love doing it and all spannering and of course the driving too!!

Started with my mk2 Astra GTE with a C20LET turbo full build, dry sumped 275bhp and since the. I've fully rebuilt

Evo 5 420bhp

Impreza 350bhp (friends car)

Civic Vti B16 190bhp (friends car)

And now part built 350z ---bhp

• Like 1

Bit of an update.....

Got the car timed up and I must say the system nissan have with the chain using coloured links lined up with ID marks on the sprockets is a touch of genius! After looking a bit frightening with the 3xchains its so easy and visually so simple to see when everything is in place

7wdkR8Wl.jpg

V7NkdkCl.jpg

xHXWs3el.jpg

awfoiSOl.jpg

Then back in with my M6 studding ready to fit the front cover.............load more silicone and slide it back into place

lxr7L4ml.jpg

V9m5Ks6l.jpg

x6XBOCUl.jpg

Forgot to take many pics after this as I was just cracking on with it but made really good progress. Sump was installed, rocker covers fitted, wiring loom and auxiliarys installed. This then meant the subframe could then get bolted back up and the engine actually sit on its new mounts for the first time! The last part to collect is the intake manifold which I'll have next weekend, so its looking like I might possibly turn the key on it over easter weekend! Not driven the car since getting back from Germany in September so it'll be nice to have it up and running again.

This is as it stands.........looking like its got an engine in again

yX6jidtl.jpg

• Like 2

WOW! This thing really has gone wild hasn't it haha! Mega effort and love that you are getting properly stuck in.

Cant wait to see it built up mate. Be great to get on a track day with some of us 350 lot over summer?

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 1

WOW! This thing really has gone wild hasn't it haha! Mega effort and love that you are getting properly stuck in.

Cant wait to see it built up mate. Be great to get on a track day with some of us 350 lot over summer?

Cheers..........yeah trying to get on with it.......its just been turned over on the key till oil pressure...... annoying just waiting to collect the inlet manifold this weekend, fit the plugs in and fire it up!

Me too, been a long time working on it and really looking forward to driving it again.

Funny you say that, I was gonna suggest just that! There seems to be a few of us 350z owners who do track their cars and it would be really good to get a few Z's out on track together. The only time I've seen 350's and 370's at tracks they've been parked up all day while the owners drive some banger that goes slower and handles worse than the car they drove there in........don't understand it, seems like such a shame as the Zed is such a capable and rewarding car on track.......each to their own of course

• Like 2

• 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR build
  • 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built