Windows 10 HELP! (yes i know)

Tricky-Ricky

Thought i would take advantage of the free upgrade rolleyes_new.gif anyway did my win 7 laptop and had no problems, did the wife's win 8 and initially no problems, now 10 days later her laptop is very slow refuses to open files/applications, or takes forever, screen goes blank, finally managed to get it to boot in safe mode, but its still the same, so i can run any recovery/repair applications, did wonder if it was a possessor issue, but now think its just windows, trouble is a cant even do anything about getting it to revert to win 8, so has anyone got any ideas before i throw it?

Your last two words for me.

Changed to Apple Mac, phone and ipad and so much simpler to use once you get out of the habit of thinking PC.

Only real downside is they ain't cheap but then when you get to the point of throwing the PC's at the wall, aside from the hit on your patience, they well worth it.

And that's coming from an old git who only used PCs since the days of Wang - anyone remember them :surrender::lol:

• Like 1

Unfortunately not an option with the wife's PC as its not that old, so i was hoping to find a way around, before i have to pull the HDD and get everything off and try and add a windows 8 download and start again trouble is there is no windows 8 key sticker, so how can i get a replacement?

If it's within 30 days since you upgraded you should be able to "downgrade" back to what you were on before.

The screen going blank could be that the graphics card driver is incorrect although in my experience windows 10 has sorted all that without any intervention them me for all the Windows upgrades I've done in July (around 70 in total). How much free disc space does your PC have?

Usually you make a back up disk or mirror when you buy a new laptop this then becomes your recovery disk etc . On most laptops you can revert them to the factory which is usally stored as a partion you cannot see . If you have a back up of data may be possible to do a factory reset then use backup disk . Or use a drive image if you've done a backup image . Try the downgrade route first . Or peace of mind take it to a laptop repair type place if your not comfortable doing it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well this has been a real pain, removed the HDD and ran some checks on another PC, no errors etc, so put it back and spent the best part of the day waiting for it to respond to each commend, it turns out that the disc read/write activity is running at 100%, so i had a look and managed to disable the Avast updater, which helped, but its still running really slow and locks up, but i really cant see just what the culprit is that using so much disc activity, not really sure just what to stop/end using cmd commands?

After a real fight i managed to stop enough services to be able to cut the disc usage, so i could access the revert to windows 8 option, so its now back on that and seems to be working ..........for now, so many thanks for all the input and help guys,:) at least i have learnt a little more about fixing yet another computer problem, definitely prefer fixing cars...at least they don't fight you all the way...well mostly.;)

• Like 1

I had same problem. And a fix that sounds like it would work for you also as you say it's disk.

I did the v10 upgrade when it came out. On a cheapest at time 6 year old laptop that came with Vista.

It survived the 7 upgrade at the time but couldn't handle 10.

I replaced the hard drive with an SSD and it immediately and a year or so later on still runs faster than a couple years old standard spec laptop and up there with a new high spec laptop.

Yes one of the running applications that seemed to have a big affect on disc use was an AVG updater, but disabling it on its own didn't solve the issue, just hop my laptop stays OK as i am running win 10 and AVG.

Looks like the answer is SSD, its just the price of them that puts me off.

Both of our laptops upgraded to 10 just fine, only one annoying issue, if you lose internet connection (which I do about 10-15 times a week :angry: ) then you have to manually reconnect. There is a workaround for this, just haven't got round to it.

Pete

Well this has been a real pain, removed the HDD and ran some checks on another PC, no errors etc, so put it back and spent the best part of the day waiting for it to respond to each commend, it turns out that the disc read/write activity is running at 100%, so i had a look and managed to disable the Avast updater, which helped, but its still running really slow and locks up, but i really cant see just what the culprit is that using so much disc activity, not really sure just what to stop/end using cmd commands?

Avast is probably your culprit. I've updated 6 machines to windows 10 now, and two of them have done similar things to what you describe and both times it was Avast. I removed it completely, switched to another virus checker in both instances and have had no problems with them since.

There was an identified compatibility issue with Avast and Windows 10 months ago. I'm quite surprised it's not fixed. Having said that, I had a couple of PCs with Avast upgrade with no issue, so it's probably a more complex issue.