Windscreen water repellent

Spatt

Hi folks,

I've been using rain x for about 2 years now and i think it's pretty good stuff. I love how the rain beads up and comes right off even at 30 / 40 mph with no wipers.

Problem is it tends to cloud up over a few weeks and streak.

What are the alternatives in products?

First and foremost, Rain-X is @*!#. So anything you use will be better.

If you want an easy to apply sealant you'll want to look at the likes of PIAA, Angelwax H2Go, Dr Beasleys Glass Wax or GTechniq G5. They'll all do a better job than Rain-X and whilst they'll last longer (when correctly applied) they'll not last as long as coatings; ~month or so.

Coatings are more involved to apply but worth it, they'll last 12 months+ when correctly applied and if you take care they're not actually that difficult to apply properly. They will cost more in terms of initial pay out but they'll last much, much longer in comparison. If you're after a coating GTechniq G1 (or Carbon Collective Platinum Glass, which is G1 in a different bottle and with added terrible service from the vendor), Gyeon View or the CarPro one are all very good.

So would you recommend the gtechniq brand? I buy most of my stuff from clean your car.com

I'm pretty sure they sell it.

I'll probably go for the easy to apply stuff for now. Having watched YouTube tho it doesn't seem to scary to apply the gtechniq g5 tho

So would you recommend the gtechniq brand? I buy most of my stuff from clean your car.com

I'm pretty sure they sell it.

I'll probably go for the easy to apply stuff for now. Having watched YouTube tho it doesn't seem to scary to apply the gtechniq g5 tho

I would, but it's the only one I've used apart from rainx. It was a doddle to use. ilogikal's your man though for a broad range experience, he's really quite knowledgable at times ;)

• Like 1

I bough this from Japfest Rock, very impressive and can be bought from eBay for around £15

https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B000WAMI76

ive used this stuff too but found from slamber city on facebook! was a bit skeptical but its good stuff and still working 3 months later. would recommend for the price its at and super easy to apply

I've stopped using Rain X on the front screen as it clouds almost straight away when using wipers. Still use it on the rear as it's not so important vision wise. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the GT C5 as I've been meaning to get some for a while.

G5 is pretty good - it actually performs at a slower speed than G1 initially, but doesn't last as long. As with all things detailing, the key is in the prep - you should really clean your screen before applying any product for maximum effect. That means a good clean, clay, even a razor and polish before applying 2 layers of your chosen product. GTechniq say that applying a layer of G5 over the G1 gives the best of both worlds, the durability and the water beading effect at slower speeds.

Having just done the wiper delete on the rear, I'm reading this thread with interest as I'd like to buy/apply something on the rear screen. Glad I did as I just assumed Rain-X would be the way to go, but now know otherwise. So thanks :thumbs:

GTechniq products tend just work, there are exceptions to that within the range but the LSPs do work well.

G5 is an absolute doddle to use, aside from over applying you can't really go wrong but as said previously you will get the best out of it by making sure the screen is really clean.

• 4 weeks later...

I found the durability claim of GTechniq G1 a bit generous, upto 2 years. Initially it's therapeutic to see the beads flying off the screen at low speed, but after 6 months you need to be driving considerably faster. A bit like a wax, it does wear off, but too quickly.

G1 is like any other coating in that it gets clogged up over time. It'll last 18+ months with ease, even with moderate to regular use of the wipers, but it needs a good deep clean every 6 months or so to keep to rejuvenate the effect. It doesn't mean that it's gone, it just needs a little maintenance to keep it working at its optimum.

Unlike wax, you can give it a deep clean without just stripping it off entirely.

• Like 1

G1 is like any other coating in that it gets clogged up over time. It'll last 18+ months with ease, even with moderate to regular use of the wipers, but it needs a good deep clean every 6 months or so to keep to rejuvenate the effect. It doesn't mean that it's gone, it just needs a little maintenance to keep it working at its optimum.

Unlike wax, you can give it a deep clean without just stripping it off entirely.

What would constitute a deep clean?