How long can i listen to radio before battery runs flat?

Red_Nic

Who knows how long I can safely listen to my radio for when my engine is switched off, before I would run my battery flat.

ignition is on so radio can play.

no fans or lights running.

I get worried after 15mins, and turn radio off.

As someone who used to have to jump start his old zed EVERY TIME he came from offshore, I don't blame you for worrying.

Best thing to do is buy some extra long jump leads and stick them in with the space saver in the boot, then you (kind of) won't have to worry :-)

What G said. Always carry jump leads. You just never know when you need them...or you can help some idiot out who's been listening to their radio too long :D

Saved my ass a couple of times

Edited by Juggalo

P=IV, so assuming an 85AH battery and 12V, you have about 1kWh of power... Should give you a good few hours of radio playing before the juice gets too low to turn your lump over. Probably.

I doubt if the radio itself is using more that 20-30 watts of power, so a kilowat would presumably last 40 or 50 hours... at least... but that would leave nothing to start the engine with... and I don't know how much you would need to start the engine... and if you have big speakers on loud that would probably use a lot more anyway...

I give up. Its all too difficult. I look forward to hearing how you get on.... Good Luck... :)

John

1. Depends on the state and age of your battery I guess. For example just checking the tyre pressures on Caroline's Zed and adding 4-6 psi using a digital Michelin pump running off the cigarette lighter was enough to finish off her battery....I know, I know, I should have started the car first but didn't :blush:

Pete

Edited by JetSet

I was sat waiting for my eurotunnel train last month and had the battery die after leaving the radio on for a few hours = but I was charging 2 phones and a satnav at the same time. Jump started it but missed my train 😓

Sent from my iPhone using

• 7 months later...