Been a while!

Arran

Evening all

Still read quite regularly on here but haven't posted a great deal since selling the Z, thought I'd pop back in and see what's happening in the scene nowadays, haven't seen anyone off the forum for about a year I'd say, still have very fond memories of the blue beast and wish I could have kept her alongside the new motor but wasn't to be. Here's a reminder of my old Z for anyone interested, it's quite a long journal but may be of some use to people not so familiar with their Zs yet or just want a read

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/62527-arrans-azure-350-gt-exhaust-autobahn-video-finally-91014/page__hl__arran

And here's what I've been up to since the Zs departure

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=134755

So what's been happening in the world of JDM?

Arran

It's a different driving experience, both are awesome cars. The Z was a lot more playful on the limit whereas the M3 will bite, however once all the upgrades are on chassis wise it should surpass the Z, I will see how the M3 reacts to trail braking once the 8 pots are on but that's one thing the Z was great at, not getting out of shape to much when trail braking. The M3 is quite a bit quicker and a lot more repsonsive but that's a given seeing the Z has one throttle body and the M3 six and also the sport button (even sharper response once pressed), the brakes on the Z have much better stopping power, feel wise to but the M3 I find has better initial bite, I'm sure those attributes will change when the M3's new brakes are on and I do the rears aswell in the not to distant future. Comfort wise i like both, the cabin on the Z nice and snug and the HSD's did ride nicely, but the KW V3 on the M3 are a different league in terms on quality and ride comfort, the M3 cabin obviously much more spacious aswell with much nicer fit and finish overall. Sound wise I love both I mean what car guy doesn't, the Z was more exhaust noise and sounded really exotic whereas the M3 is more intake noise and sounds like a real racer, I love the distinctive rasp of the M to, so if I had to pick what sounded better overall taking into account intake and exhaust I'd pick the M3 but the exhaust noise alone the Z wins just, only down to the setup I had on it. M3 exhaust isn't finished yet so that decision may change once on. Both are blinding cars and I'm thankful I've owned both, I would love to get back into a Z at some point but it would have to be a supercharged HR in that bright orange.

If you've finished reading well done haha

Edited by Arran
  • Like 1

Correct no front plate, did the same with the E36 and had a tiny one on the Z. I just hate a full size plate or a plate at all at the front lol ruins a car.

I don't exactly think they look good either Arran but FYI it is a traffic offence not having one correctly fitted to the front of the car. Maybe you've just been lucky though not getting pulled over.

I'm in an Audi S3 now & they look miles better without the front number plate but tbh I'd rather not attract unnecessary Police attention nowadays.

Too old for that s**t. :lol:

Enjoy the M3. :)

It's a different driving experience, both are awesome cars. The Z was a lot more playful on the limit whereas the M3 will bite, however once all the upgrades are on chassis wise it should surpass the Z, I will see how the M3 reacts to trail braking once the 8 pots are on but that's one thing the Z was great at, not getting out of shape to much when trail braking. The M3 is quite a bit quicker and a lot more repsonsive but that's a given seeing the Z has one throttle body and the M3 six and also the sport button (even sharper response once pressed), the brakes on the Z have much better stopping power, feel wise to but the M3 I find has better initial bite, I'm sure those attributes will change when the M3's new brakes are on and I do the rears aswell in the not to distant future. Comfort wise i like both, the cabin on the Z nice and snug and the HSD's did ride nicely, but the KW V3 on the M3 are a different league in terms on quality and ride comfort, the M3 cabin obviously much more spacious aswell with much nicer fit and finish overall. Sound wise I love both I mean what car guy doesn't, the Z was more exhaust noise and sounded really exotic whereas the M3 is more intake noise and sounds like a real racer, I love the distinctive rasp of the M to, so if I had to pick what sounded better overall taking into account intake and exhaust I'd pick the M3 but the exhaust noise alone the Z wins just, only down to the setup I had on it. M3 exhaust isn't finished yet so that decision may change once on. Both are blinding cars and I'm thankful I've owned both, I would love to get back into a Z at some point but it would have to be a supercharged HR in that bright orange.

If you've finished reading well done haha

Nice review but you missed out that the Zed looks a million times better than a Eurobox :stir::lol:

Pete

Ive let police out at junctions before and nothing's been said, I know it's an offence but without sounding like an arse about it, I'm not fussed tbh, probably jinxed myself now but it's only driven once in a few weeks so il live with it. So you've moved to the Germans aswell, how you finding it?

Jet set, looks are subjective but i beg to differ, the M is a nicer looking car overall. At some angles the rear of a Z looks a little strange, both fantastic looking cars though, look well above their price range imo

I just have my plate in the window on the dash , I've had zero grief to date and seen and I've followed a few police cars . Ex policeman traffic said to me when I asked his thoughts " unless you where doing something wrong or had other defects ie light out i personally would not pull you for it to much hassle "obviously each officer has their own view so you might get a jobsworth Reason I've not sorted mine is previous owner had bumper smoothed and painted , I was gonna get one of those sticker ones but I've just been slack 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha we had this conversation when I popped over to yours for the airbox :)

Felt to heavy more so than the Z,needed the revs wringing out of it ti get it to go. Steering rack wasn't sharp enough, brakes were awful, quick enough but not confidence inspiring. Superior car far from it IMO.

I had a 330ci beforehand hence the reason I bought the M after, 330 was slower but so much more reliable. I spent on average 400 a month on repairs over the 9 months I had it. Mine was a manual too so I didn't have any SMG issues.I replaced the clutch, abs sensors, Vanos rebuilt by Mr Vanos, boot floor reinforcement, new discs and pads.Coolant expansion bottle replaced after it decided to crack, headlight washer replaced. The car had 60k on it. I will never go back to BMW again. Inspection 2 service was the wrong side of 900 notes too.

Also it looked bland just like any other 46 on the road and didn't feel special enough.

I did have a go in a run out CS and that was better especially the rack and brakes.

I think with 46s your either lucky and get a good one or unlucky like me :)

Edited by Zeezeebaba

I remember now zee lol sounds like you got a bad one then! Don't get me wrong I've spent a lot on mine already but i don't mind as I know il be keeping it (probably change my mind in a couple of months but that's what I'm like)

Dip, there's a difference in drive between coupe and vert and the smg needs the csl software to be any good, drive a coupe with csl smg like mine and you'll see why ;) should have a meet up sometime!