Reduce your insurance...

zippypooz

Hi all, for those that are interested, i just re-newed my insurance with AXA for the 3rd year in a row...but this time, saved myself £50 by installing a car cam.

Bought my cam for £20 from amazon, had a great write-up compared with other way more expensive cams, works fine and does the job!!

Just thought i'd add this just in case any of you guys were wanting to reduce your premiums a little!! :)

Here's what I bought... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019YX889I/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0148MW2ME&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=KQGDP4BEQN1042N49MFY

Edited by zippypooz
  • Like 1

Finally, someone recommending a way to reduce insurance which is legal! :lol: I was expecting this to be one of the usual ones which verge on fraud :lol:

Haha!! AXA actually suggested it! There are a few firms offering this when you go on to their websites and fill in the quote info. :teeth:
  • Like 1

Do they record all the time, what would happen if you were in an accident and couldn't provide the footage to the insurer?

It depends on how they are set up to be honest RickyZ they can record all the time on a loop.

Sent from my iPhone using hammer and chisel!

• Like 1

So what's the catch? I mean, what's in the small print: Does the cam have to be of a certain recording quality, must it have sound, does it even have to be turned on?!

If you could post up the section in the documents that makes reference to the cam, I'd love to take a look as this seems on face value to be too good to be true. I'm sure it's not, AXA aren't silly, but this could be a real step forward for everyone in lowering costs. :)

dash cams are normally set on a loop which you have options on to decide, like 2 mins, 10mins, 20mins etc. If you want to capture something thats just happened like you've just dabbled with a GTR then you can press the OK button and it saves that latest loop and then starts a new loop. However, they do have a g-sensor, so in the event of a crash, the camera senses the knock and keeps the latest loop of recording. The one shown here from Amazon does this. You can adjust the sensitivity of the g-sensor. They are soley dependant though on plugging them ito your 12v socket as the batteries dont last long. So what if you want to keep recording after you've left the car, well you tap into a permenent live and a get a gizmo that will knock the power off if your car battery gets below a certain level. Not sure what the gizmo's called, but you can get them on ebay. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Do they record all the time, what would happen if you were in an accident and couldn't provide the footage to the insurer?

It records all the time, on a loop, as soon as the ignition is switched on and also after you park up.

So what's the catch? I mean, what's in the small print: Does the cam have to be of a certain recording quality, must it have sound, does it even have to be turned on?!

If you could post up the section in the documents that makes reference to the cam, I'd love to take a look as this seems on face value to be too good to be true. I'm sure it's not, AXA aren't silly, but this could be a real step forward for everyone in lowering costs. :)

I also asked these questions and they informed me that it didnt have to be a particular make or model, just as long as there was one fitted and working. I'll try and post a copy of my insurance. Edited by zippypooz
  • Like 1

dash cams are normally set on a loop which you have options on to decide, like 2 mins, 10mins, 20mins etc. If you want to capture something thats just happened like you've just dabbled with a GTR then you can press the OK button and it saves that latest loop and then starts a new loop. However, they do have a g-sensor, so in the event of a crash, the camera senses the knock and keeps the latest loop of recording. The one shown here from Amazon does this. You can adjust the sensitivity of the g-sensor. They are soley dependant though on plugging them ito your 12v socket as the batteries dont last long. So what if you want to keep recording after you've left the car, well you tap into a permenent live and a get a gizmo that will knock the power off if your car battery gets below a certain level. Not sure what the gizmo's called, but you can get them on ebay. Hope this helps.

This one does record for a certain time after you leave your car. And as you have stated it does all of the above. Theres plenty of reviews on youtube too. Most seem pretty fair and useful. Ive found it great, does everything i want it to do with the added bonus of reducing my insurance!

on the other side so that one awkward moment you have a crash and your dash cam fails you now have an invalidated policy for the sake of £50 where as had you paid the £50 they couldnt use that as a reason to not pay out

Ill take that chance. I cant see why it would fail as its always plugged in and runs on a 32gig sd card. You'd need to be VERY unlucky, I suppose you could say that about a number of things in life? If it didnt work i suppose you can still rely of witnesses and the like.

Ok, so i checked the policy, the only reference to the cam is in the list of things i added when applying for the insurance, no text pertaining to any conditions, make or other. Bascally like i said, they just said, if i got a cam, this would reduce my insurance quote!