oil cap nackered

wilo

just over tightened my oil fill cap and now it clicks past and goes slack again .

any advise on where to purchase a replacement appreciated.

looked on ebay but can only find those alloy types that dont look very good build quality and take a week or more for delivery

Try zmanalex or Emperor Tuning for a good used condition oil cap if you do find you still need one or for a new item maybe Clark Motorsport. ;)

Failing that just get an aftermarket one. Torqen, Tarmac Sportz etc etc in the trading area will be able to sort you out with that. :thumbs:

• Like 1

its not knackered

leave it very loosely tightened overnight - allow everything to cool down

next morning, loosen, then retighten

shame iv already ordered one now.

took it to motor save today (only garage open) and the mech there said either iv damaged the threads in the engine or on the cap . so is this a common issue with the oil cap as iv never had it happen before on other cars iv owned

How can you damage metal threads with a plastic cap :lol: :lol:

You might have knackered the cap itself by cross threading, but tbh you'd have had to have been spectacularly ham fisted to do so.

thats motor save for ya lol.

and yea im a pretty strong lad and tend to break alot of things i touch tbf :/

I've just treated the zed to this no chance of over tightening it as it's the nismo ratchet type and easy to undo which Mitz at the cougarstore will be happy about next service time. Not cheap though, but she's worth it ! Haha and helps with zeditis too.

46A3B2B9-5395-4050-ACBD-C2E081C0DD10_zps1suynada.jpg

• Like 5

I've just treated the zed to this no chance of over tightening it as it's the nismo ratchet type and easy to undo which Mitz at the cougarstore will be happy about next service time. Not cheap though, but she's worth it ! Haha and helps with zeditis too.

46A3B2B9-5395-4050-ACBD-C2E081C0DD10_zps1suynada.jpg

can feel an ebay search coming soon.

looks mint

• Like 1

just over tightened my oil fill cap and now it clicks past and goes slack again .

I experienced this - its not broken, it just has too much oil on the threads. Just tighten to a torque less than 'clicks past and goes slack again' and it will be fine.

But keep an eye on it :)

Edited by The Trouser
  • Like 1

I experienced this - its not broken, it just has too much oil on the threads. Just tighten to a torque less than 'clicks past and goes slack again' and it will be fine.

But keep an eye on it :)

cheers but iv ordered the one in the pic i posted ..should be here tomorrow :)

• 4 years later...

I have also managed to over tighten mine to the point when it clicks and it goes slack and you think oh no, tried tightening it to a tight spot and seemed ok but checked yesterday and it had managed to loosen itself, called down the local Nissan dealership which truthfully virtually never used for a new cap and discovered that looking at the parts diagram there is a second part to it which is separate called a seal which you cannot see from the top when cap off obviously only visible once you have removed the plastic cover. Have ordered that as well coming from the Netherlands strangely but on the face of it that could be the part which threads have gone if so then the comments about plastic cap stripping a metal thread may not be strictly accurate, the only issue I can see is that the strengthening bar needs to be removed to get at one of the bolts holding the top cover on 🤷‍♂️