Researching exhausts... i'm exhausted!

Kernow

Hey guys and gals,

I have a stock 05 350z and the salty southwest air has finally blown the stock exhaust where it joins the back box.... I am an 'if it ain't broke then don't try to fix it' kind of guy, so thank god the exhaust went ;P

I am a student so cannot afford the coveted Motordyne Shockwave TDX2, Ark Grip or even the Invidia Gemini. I would say my budget is around £500... fitted :o which I know is pathetic and so please feel free to tell me to spend more money. I am after that grumbling sound with those lovely z pops, but without a drone, rattly tin sound or trumpet fart.

After a day of research and youtubing it seems to me that I have 3 options, 2 of which are covered by Tarmac Sportz:

1) Scorpion - Budget but alright

2) Invidia N1 - Seems the best bang for buck

3) Buy a Micra

I have 3 questions...

1) Is the Invidia N1 worth the extra money over the Scorpion? If so then why.

2) Does anyone have either of these exhausts fitted in the Cornwall area that I could have a listen to?

3) Are there any other exhausts that might be going for a reasonable price atm, including used ones.

Cheers.

p.s. I was joking about the Micra

Why not buy an ARK DUAL GRIP ?

Because it's out of his budget?

Have you checked out the ISR Single exit? Awesome sound for the a great price £300ish I think.

Scorpion is just too quiet.

Many people are satisfied with their Invidia exhaust.

Cobra is another contender in your budget - Although the ISR single exit sounds very similar for a fraction of the cost.

• Like 1

I would recommend using a fair bit of that budget purely for purchasing the exhaust and try to fit it yourself. I had never done any real mechanical work before my 350 and found it really simple to fit my exhaust just on small ramps on my drive :)

Either way, hope you find something you are happy with!

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not a fan of the single exit exhausts compared with the dual, especially when the stock bumper has been designed for 2.

I've read that the cobra is quite quiet?

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not a fan of the single exit exhausts compared with the dual, especially when the stock bumper has been designed for 2.

Definitely not quiet especially if you go for the louder of the two.

Grumbling sound? Obtain a girlfriend and insert into passengers seat.

I just choked laughing :lol:

But the OP said

1.No drone

2.No farting sounds

and most importantly

Girlfriends will eat through a £500 budget in no time!

Edited by HEADPHONES
  • Like 1

But the OP said

1.No drone

2.No farting sounds

and most importantly

I have a girlfriend... £500 is all i've got :p

Definitely not quiet especially if you go for the louder of the two.

I've watched a few more videos and I agree, though would be worried about drone from the non-resonated version. Has anyone experienced drone with the resonated version?

But the OP said

1.No drone

2.No farting sounds

and most importantly

I have a girlfriend... £500 is all i've got :p

500 is all you HAD. She's spent it on a gucci purse lol.

• Like 1

But the OP said

1.No drone

2.No farting sounds

and most importantly

Yeah there is the constant drone that gets annoying on even short journeys with that one lol.

Have you checked out the ISR Single exit? Awesome sound for the a great price £300ish I think.

Cobra is another contender in your budget - Although the ISR single exit sounds very similar for a fraction of the cost.

Cobra, bloody great sounding exhaust for the price :thumbs:

I would recommend using a fair bit of that budget purely for purchasing the exhaust and try to fit it yourself. I had never done any real mechanical work before my 350 and found it really simple to fit my exhaust just on small ramps on my drive :)

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am swaying towards the Cobra Resonated with rolled tips, should do the job :) I may have to replace the cats as well soon as I spotted one of them had a hole.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am swaying towards the Cobra Resonated with rolled tips, should do the job :) I may have to replace the cats as well soon as I spotted one of them had a hole.

Is the hole not just in the heat shield though ? If so no worries there until they start rattling and then you could just rip the heat shield off as many have done. Or like me found it the perfect excuse to get some Berk hfc's.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is the hole not just in the heat shield though ? If so no worries there until they start rattling and then you could just rip the heat shield off as many have done. Or like me found it the perfect excuse to get some Berk hfc's.

Hmm perhaps the heat shields are making those rattling sounds that have been annoying me no end! Anythin else likely to cause a rattle below... no more puns please this is a clean thread ;)

Exhaust Update!!!

Cobra resonated exhaust is fitted and supplied by Cougar Store (thanks again!). When first fitted it sounded very muted and dull without the crackle and pops but within a short drive (20 miles) she was sounding wicked! (I assume this is the carbonation inside the exhaust which is stated to take up to 1000 miles). She is a bit droney between about 2000 and 2500 revs but I am hoping this will subside during the 1000 miles, or else I will have to change my driving style and keep more towards the redline :D

Whenever I reach 1000 miles I can provide an update for anyone who is interested, but for now I am definately of the opinion this was a worthwhile purchase. Can't get enough of those crackles, who needs an F-Type!

• Like 2