I'm a little devastated....

Richesio

This reminds me of my turbo'd Honda S2000 that was hit at 2:30am too a little more than a year ago :(

At least the driver has admitted liability and you can claim from them, I hope the claim process goes smoothly for you. Mine took a couple of months of faffing around, I was not impressed by ERS.

can you buy the car back off the insurance company? i think thats a thing you can do? :S if so do it then break it down, i think breakers do this and cars cost them a couple of hundred so you could easily make the money back and then some!

I really dont know if this is a thing or not but if it is i would absolutely consider it!

can you buy the car back off the insurance company? i think thats a thing you can do? :S if so do it then break it down, i think breakers do this and cars cost them a couple of hundred so you could easily make the money back and then some!

I really dont know if this is a thing or not but if it is i would absolutely consider it!

Mine cost 18% to buy back, definitely worth thinking about at that sort of cost. I ended up buying mine back and selling to someone locally who has repaired it and and I see it every now and again, saw it today as it happens.

Sorry to see this :(. I get annoyed when I come back to a new scratch or door ding, damage like this would be heartbreaking!

I'm glad everyone is OK, as cliche as it is to say, it really is the most important thing.

Also, wouldn't removing parts from the car while you're claiming go against you? I'd do everything by the book here.

Edited by Ukeraa

Buying back is always an idea if you have the time/tools and storage to break the car down.

My last car I had written off was an old banger Peugeot 106 Diesel id bought for about £600. I used it for 2 years, took the mileage up from 80k to 170k then some idiot piled into the back of me at 60mph when I was stationary. Car was squished up like a concertina. Luckily I wasnt far from home so I borrowed a sledge hammer off someone and hammered the rear wheel arches out enough so the back wheels werent catching and I could limp home and get the car on my drive.

Insurance came out and assessed it. Assessor didnt blink that I had fitted the full interior out of a GTi model, or query anything "non standard" on the car at all. They immediately wrote it off, paid me £1000 for the car which they felt was the "market value". I didnt even bother haggling as I was extremely happy with that. I asked them what about the car now and they said they would either come & take it away, or I could keep it for free.

I kept the car and was going to break it. In the end I just cut the chasis number out of the car, took the plates off, sent the log book off saying id scrapped it and then sold the whole car on ebay for spares for about £250. So all in all, I had 2 years of free motoring and was £650 up on the deal. Had I had the time I could have made a lot more by breaking the car and ebaying each bit, but then you have the hassle with postage/storage of parts etc.

You have more protection if you go through your own Insurer (ie the Ombudsman) which you don't have if you deal with the taxi driver's Insurer. That isn't to say you'll get a better offer though.

If you do deal directly with the other Insurer, they will be happy that you've minimised their costs (ie hire car) and could therefore quibble less about the payout for your Z.

Tim

in my experience with no fault - go through a management company (+ inform your insurance what you've done with zero cost to them) if you want the Z repaired, no expense spared

if you want the Z written off (highly likely given the current Z values) then claim through your insurance

in my experience with no fault - go through a management company (+ inform your insurance what you've done with zero cost to them) if you want the Z repaired, no expense spared

if you want the Z written off (highly likely given the current Z values) then claim through your insurance

The Insurer will decide whether it's a write-off. It's down to cost of repair v value. You can't decide that you want it repaired at any cost.

Tim

Well in theory you can as their insurance co can't write your car have no direct contract with them and they are liable to pay for/rectify damage caused by their client.

Of course in reality it may not be possible/practical to repair

The Insurer will decide whether it's a write-off. It's down to cost of repair v value. You can't decide that you want it repaired at any cost.

Tim

as i stated in the original post - you go through accident management companies - they WILL repair your Z at any cost

if you let an insurance assessor near your Z they will most likely write it off and that marker will stay for the life of the car - so just go straight the AM company

Edited by KUGT4

as i stated in the original post - you go through accident management companies - they WILL repair your Z at any cost

if you let an insurance assessor near your Z they will most likely write it off and that marker will stay for the life of the car - so just go straight the AM company

Sorry, you're incorrect about repairing the car at any cost. They will work on the exact same basis as any insurance company, as the law works in the same way and they have to mitigate losses regardless. Remember, ultimately they have to go to the TP insurer claim the money back, and if they were extravagant then the insurer may well turn the claim down and take the process to court, and there's no guarantee the AMC will win. No, if a car is uneconomical to repair then that's it I'm afraid, using an AMC is not a guarantee that everything will be rosy. Worth remembering as well that AMCs are more expensive than insurers, so every time you use one and take a flashy hire car, what you actually do is push insurance costs up for every one. Not saying I wouldn't use ever use one, just throwing the info out there.

An insurance company cannot write your car off if you don't want them to: It's YOUR car. You can simply decline the claim, and then attempt to repair the car yourself and no CAT marker will ever be added to the data of the vehicle. Not always financially practical, I agree, but it's the truth.

As Above, and my previous post. It doesn't matter which route you take, you won't get an Insurer to pay out say, £10,000 to repair your car if it's only worth £6,000. Their obligation is to put you back in the position you were in before the accident.

A lot of people interpret this as meaning paying out whatever it takes to repair your car. What it really means is paying you the pre-accident value, so you can buy an equivalent car.

Tim

You more than likely will find that their first offer is a cheeky low-ball one just to try their luck.

I'm not really sure it's a cheeky low ball offer, I reckon most insurance companies go by glasses guide etc which always seem a little low compared to autotrader etc. Although I'm sure there are some insurance companies that take the glasses guide value and offer you half of it less whatever they want to spend in the pub at Friday lunch.

My experience from a few years ago. I had an old, but very well cared for Mondeo. It had less than half the usual mileage, and full main Dealer service history.

It got written off by a muppet failing to give way. His Insurer said that they had never seen a car of that age, with full service history and such low mileage. They then offered exactly half of it's value. they then spent weeks trying to get me to accept £300 for it and in the mean time, ran up a bill for £6,000 on a hire car.

I was also put on to an accident management company by my Insurer, who were utterly useless apart from the swift supply of a hire car.

Tim