DE engine 75mm throttle body kit - gauging interest

fake ben taylor

Hey guys!

As some will know Ive been working on a larger throttle body kit for the DE engine. NWP do make a kit already and mine is based on that but with shipping, customs etc it seemed to me to be overly expensive for what it was. Ive not done back to back dynos, nor do I plan to, as I would never recoup those costs and NWP have already done all that and theres countless discussions on it on the american forums :)

Ive designed a plate and had one made and this is now fitted and working on my car.

this is the kit - 75mm throttle body, adapter loom and conversion plate

27705512314_f947260fd8_c.jpg2016-07-15_11-59-46 by ben taylor, on Flickr

and this is it fitted

27714323103_e4f0d9aec2_c.jpgIMG-20160715-WA0041 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Note for testing I used a second hand TB, the kit would include a brand new one.

So I'm asking who would be interested in the kit. The guide price I'm aiming for is £250-£300, but this is only a guide as I've yet to discuss how much getting the tb's, plates, looms etc will be in bulk, hopefully the lower end of that scale

So, who's interested? :)

• Like 1

http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenolic_Spacers.html#BBTB

There you go :) there's also YouTube reviews etc

In a nutshell the oem intake system is restrictive on the VQ engine, and is why on the HR Nissan doubled up. Increasing the tb size helps the engine breathe better higher up the revs. Adding a larger afm and intake pipe further helps that :)

This isn't going to add peak hp numbers but should help area under the graph higher in the rev range :)

And will also help on boosted cars by putting less strain on the turbo/supercharger

NWP's own dyno graph in the link shows it makes less max power and less max torque than standard,

but does improve over stock from 5700 to 6200 revs.

Any ideas why it loses power compared to stock at around 5300rpm? :wacko:

I 'think' it's due to the velocity being less through the tb (due to bigger size), and velocity bumps torque so that's why it drops slightly there, but what you lose there you gain later creating a quicker car, just less of a pub hp figure.

It is a piece of a puzzle though, as someone else has said, a bigger afm and intake pipe help further. I do have one of those under construction for myself in 3.5inch flavour.

Coupled with my long tube manifolds this 'should' see me to 290-300 at the wheels with just bolt ons :) quite a jump over the usual plenum spacer, 06 airbox etc getting 300 at the fly....

Problem is, I don't run a parts business, and no intention to. I wanted the bigger tb and put the work in making the kit so that I could have one without paying NWP prices, part of the reason I didn't opt for a brand new tb.

As such I don't want to spend money proving a product that it doesn't matter to me how many I sell or don't sell.

I've only offered it up here as it seemed like quite a few were interested.

I hope this makes sense and I don't come across as a nob, but why should I go out of my way and spend my money for your guys benefit?

I'm happy there is gains to be made when this kit is used as part of a bigger puzzle, and some mild gains higher in the revs when its just a stand alone item.

If others are interested I can get some more made, if not, no big deal :)

• Like 1

I think I would be interested in this but would like to see a before and after dyno of someone who has done it so I can decide whether its worth me doing it or not.

If its any help and there isnt a massive demand for them, I could have the adaptor plates CNC machined at my work.

• 3 weeks later...