There goes my clutch again..

TomBorehamUK

Hi Guys,

I know there are a few of you on here that are pretty clued up when it comes to consumer law amongst other things. :D

So I'm wondering if you can help...

Just over a month ago I had a new SMF, clutch and CSC fitted, I sourced these parts and supplied them to the garage. (This garage was in Scotland as I broke down while on the NC500 and I'm in Essex, key point to remember)

Now a month on and after only 992 miles it seems I've had another CSC failure or a failure with one of the clutch components as again my clutch has dropped to the floor and when operating the clutch the fluid level drops....and drips right from the gearbox housing. :surrender:

Now it needs to be taken apart again to see what's happened, whether it's simply a faulty part or whether it's poor workmanship.

Now as I can't just take it 600 miles back to the repairing garage, I've arranged to have it looked at by my local garage and they will be taking pictures as evidence to send on if it is the latter.

My question is if it does prove to be down to incorrect fitment which has caused damage then where do I stand with seeking compensation from the original repairing garage? The parts and labour were around £1700 and then the further labour cost to take the box out again is £306 so around £2000 in total not including towing costs and arranging alternative travel

Now in seeking all these costs reimbursed, how would i best go about this with a garage 600 miles away?  I'm skeptical that a garage would make it easy for me to reclaim £2000 plus :shrug:

This is all speculation at this point until the box is pulled again, it could be that the work was done fine and a part is faulty which would fall under warranty but I'd just like to get as much information as possible beforehand :)

I think because of soo many different variables this will become quite a struggle to achieve anything without legal representation.

Still wait till you get the box off find out the problem then play everything by the consumer rights book.

Tom,

Pointless speculating.

As per my PM best to get the box pulled and determine where the fault lies.

Also as per my PM contact the garage in Inverness before the box is pulled and follow the advice that I previously provided.

Alex. :)

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to here this tom .

what clutch kit did you buy

Ive just had the extreme kit from clarks fitted and its took 4 days to get the clutch pedal right

the box has been out twice but hopefully get car back tomorrow

hope you get your clutch sorted :)

• Like 1

Hi Doug, what a pain!

How come the box is coming out, do you know what the issue is?

I have the same kit, was fine from day one until it just stopped. Turns out it was indeed poor workmanship and the clutch line was fitted wrong. It was rubbing against the clutch plate causing it to eventually perish and to lose all clutch fluid, cars getting sorted Monday hopefully. Next up trying to reclaim costs!

Hi Tom

They just weren't happy with the peddle pressure so they took it out, checked all OK and put back,still took a while to get a peddle they were happy with, it is very low biting point but after stalling it a few times I'm getting used to it. Mines is de (04) and i got it fitted at infiniti Glasgow, I got them to talk to clarks during fitting which helped.and they just charged original qoute £330

Hope you get things sorted

Dougie

it is very low biting point

Dougie

I had two clutches in two zeds, both different makes and both had very low bite points from new, i think its just nature of the beast, dont ask me why though. They both seemed to raise a bit after a few hundred miles though.

• Like 1