What to prepare for crossing to Calais?

Banz

I've never taken my Zed across. I heard you have to becareful of the ramps when you load it up the ferry?

Also need the following

Headlamp Converters

Warning Triangle

Spare Bulbs

Hi Viz Vest

GB Sticker

& Breathalysers **

I'm planning to pop over tomorrow. But I don't think I can get those on time unless they sell them at the Dover port?

edit: Backed from the trip.

No problems getting onto the ramp from Dover. I got the euro kit from Halfords for £30. They sell them on DFDS ferry for £39 but got more stuff in there. Like breathanalysers etc. The ramp to get off from Calais was quite steep. I took a lot of time and was expecting it to scrape the bottom.

Also get to the dock early, took me 45 minutes just to queue for passport control and checking in. Missed the boat but they didn't charge me extra even though the ticket says not flexible time. Thumbs up for dfds.

Edited by Banz

You don't need breathalysers, there's no punishment for not having them.

Stick the headlamp converter stickers in the glove box in case you get stopped, but otherwise leave them off unless you plan on doing a lot of driving at night.

Hi-vis MUST be in the cabin with you.

Ramps will be fine, they're used to low cars and unless yours is 2mm off the floor it won't be an issue.

No GB sticker needed if you have it on your numberplate.

And yeah, they'll sell them at the port at a massively inflated rate :lol: Go to Halfords tonight, it'll be fractionally cheaper at least.

• Like 1

Don't assume you will get 98 fuel. Depends where you go. 2 years ago I travelled through Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and 100 octane fuel was everywhere so I assumed all was good. Visiting France 2 weeks ago I really struggled to find places that sold anything other than 95 which was odd. And don't touch the stuff that says e10

Main routes and motorways and you should be fine though

Don't assume you will get 98 fuel. Depends where you go. 2 years ago I travelled through Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and 100 octane fuel was everywhere so I assumed all was good. Visiting France 2 weeks ago I really struggled to find places that sold anything other than 95 which was odd. And don't touch the stuff that says e10

Main routes and motorways and you should be fine though

V-Power in Germany is 100 RON :teeth: I think one of the other local brands is 104 RON :D

Any suggestions on driving routes? Thinking of going to Boulogne and probably driving along the coast. Hope it will be good drive.

That's a decent route, I've done it before with the VX club. :thumbs:

• Like 1

as previously mentioned, all for sale on the ferry, but at high cost.

I heard the other day that the breathalysers aren't a requirement anymore..I may be wrong so worth a check

Edited by Paul K

I bought the euro travel kit from halford for 30. They sell them on the ferry for 39. It was a great trip.

So... What happens when you get caught by speed camera in France? Do I get the PCN from post and can I pay it online?

I was using Waze that showed I was within the speed limit on the motorway. Saw the speed camera and didn't think need to slow down and saw the flash go off.

My first time ever getting flashed , hope it's not too expensive.

Edited by Banz

He had a nightmare with it it was traced back to him obviously through the fact he had hired a Spanish car in Spain, then they wanted him to pay cash or with a Spanish card, typical Spain awkwardness, he got it sorted in the end, :lol:

Just got back from France, no problem getting 98 fuel, but if possible fill up near towns etc not on the motorway, 98 fuel on motorway 1.67euros per litre, in towns best I got was 1.36euros.

I drove through 45km of town and didn't see any petrol station, nor did I see any on the motorway. Looking at google map now, only one petrol station was on the motorway! Luckily I entered France with nearly full fuel tank and I only drove a total of no more than 100km. It was good fun, but I really didn't like people not signalling when they are going to exit on the roundabout. Or not using the correct lane to exit the roundabout. Seems to me like only the British drivers are following the rules.

I drove through 45km of town and didn't see any petrol station, nor did I see any on the motorway. Looking at google map now, only one petrol station was on the motorway! Luckily I entered France with nearly full fuel tank and I only drove a total of no more than 100km. It was good fun, but I really didn't like people not signalling when they are going to exit on the roundabout. Or not using the correct lane to exit the roundabout. Seems to me like only the British drivers are following the rules.

Yeah, you gotta get used to that over this side of the pond. Severe lack of: people who know how to use roundabouts properly, people who indicate, knowledge of who has priority, etc...

If you see someone in a foreign plated car that indicates and uses roundabouts correctly, chances are that they are actually British driving a foreign plated car! :D

Where else are you venturing to? I'm based in Luxembourg :thumbs:

Interesting. I'm not sure that many people in Britain know how to use roundabouts either, the number of folks I see not bothering to indicate and/or just cutting straight over the lanes (even with a car on the inside) is a real pet hate of mine, it's just so bl00dy lazy :angry:

• Like 1

If you see someone in a foreign plated car that indicates and uses roundabouts correctly, chances are that they are actually British driving a foreign plated car! :D

Where else are you venturing to? I'm based in Luxembourg :thumbs:

Exactly! I can't believe how bad the French drivers are. There was also so many motorbikes weaving in and out of the traffic, doing ridiculous speed through the town and pulling a wheelie. I had one that shot pass me and made a loud bang. I guess he probably did it on purpose!

Luxembourg is too far :) Zed is fairly comfortable but I'm my missus still prefers a SUV trip.

Interesting. I'm not sure that many people in Britain know how to use roundabouts either, the number of folks I see not bothering to indicate and/or just cutting straight over the lanes (even with a car on the inside) is a real pet hate of mine, it's just so bl00dy lazy :angry:

Guess it all depends on the area you live. It's pretty good over here!