EURO 2016

RS8055

The players didnt play well yesterday because that sometimes happens in football.

Endless comments about how it was a freak result - just not accepting that we had no leaders, no shape and no plan.

I think my Sister summed it up quite well yesterday talking to her Hubby and middle son who are footy mad. "Just because we won a trophy once 50 years ago doesn't mean we're any good now" Harsh but fair. :)

• Like 2

I don't think there is any god given right to a trophy, but as a nation with a huge football grassroots base, more leagues than most countries, more pro footballers and more support through the learning process for children to partake in football it is nothing but utter mismanagement that has caused such poor results in tournaments.

The mentality just doesn't seem to be there, we are beat before we touch a blade of grass when the results really count.

Martin Glenn kept referring to an academy built a few years back as producing youth which hasn't hit the main team yet - but that's a ridiculous statement, we have been successful in youth football for donkeys years so what are they doing wrong with these younger players all this time?

Our management are obsessed with playing big names and big transfers and not picking on form and fitness.

Most of our managers since Hoddle have no tactical nous.

We should definitely have made more semi finals than we have, especially in the Euros, to say we are not good enough for the last 8 or a Euro tournament every four years is a shambles.

Edited by coldel

I think my Sister summed it up quite well yesterday talking to her Hubby and middle son who are footy mad. "Just because we won a trophy once 50 years ago doesn't mean we're any good now" Harsh but fair. :)

That's what the rest of the uk hate about English media. Every World Cup and euros I've watched since I started watching football the media claim to have it in the bag before the opening ceremony has started. The amount of times they mention 1966 in every single game became tiresome. Football has changed a lot in 50 years

No one was worse than John Motson. What a muppet he is

But the last World Cup was different. I didn't hear 1966 mentioned once and as a result I quite enjoyed watching England play

Colin is right though, with the football heritage and the standard of the premiership England should be doing better and maybe it is the system that is to blame rather than the players

But think yourselves lucky- you don't have the problems we have up here :lol:

Edited by LRF4N
  • Like 2

i don't have the time or patience to go to great lengths on this subject but I do endorse Coldels summing up which nails it really.Hodgsons verbal resignation was embarrassing last night.Quotes of "it's been a great journey" and "these things happen" just underline what a sham the whole thing has been yet again.We extend the mans contract by two years for failing in Brazil and the supposed progress results in winning one game in stoppage time out of four matches,4 years later.

If we can't beat Iceland I think Aldi would beat us'too.I also don't think we missed out on Sterling not voting in the Brexit last week as he doesn't know how to put a cross in s box anyway.

Enjoyed Wrighty after the game on BBC1 more than the match..

Edited by Payco
  • Like 2

The bosses I had (40+ year olds) in the late 70's all said that, the who played where and when was tweaked so England had favourable conditions,travel, grounds,fan access etc. and the other teams not so favourable.

( The facts of which I have never checked. ) :blush:

So next manager? Looks like Southgate is coming in as cover for the short term? Are they waiting for Wengers contract to run down?

Blanc or Pelligrini?

Hoddle is a reasonable punt, talks a lot of sense when punditing.

Hands off Bilic though!

To be honest I don't think it matters who comes in. The FA run the show. Does anyone really know the underlying reason why history keeps repeating itself ?. I feel like it is now imbedded in our DNA and fear it wont ever change. The Germans have the winning mentality in their DNA which comes from years of success. You can smell the fear of failure around the England team every tournament. I was not at all surprised at the manner of our exit. I remember going to Malmo and Stockholm with my mates for Euro 92 in Sweden under Graham Taylor, we crawled out the group and got beat by Thomas Brolin and Sweden. I made myself a promise then never to go again. Euro 96 and Italia 90 have been the only highlights for me at the ripe old age of 49.

Edited by Payco

I don't think Brits have a losing mentality, you only have to look at our Rugby side brushing aside the Aussies or our Cycling team trashing all before them. But you are right, something is consistently wrong here, very good players failing to gel and work to a system. Looking at Italy that day, every player knew their job and did it perfectly. Rooney isn't a world class midfielder, Sturridge is not a right winger, Wilshire is not a defensive midfielder. It all seems so obvious it beggars belief that someone who is meant to be an expert cannot see that - so what is going on?

In the his own words the head of the FA yesterday said "I am no football expert" twice in his press conference with Uncle Roy.

Hopefully just poor articulation of what he was trying to say.

Yes he did say that, I don't mind a non-football person being on the board if he is running the business side, but with Dyke there as well also not a football person it does make you wonder who there is actually an expert. I thought Roy was shocking yesterday and summed up the arrogance and bloody mindedness that was clear in his team selection. Saying stuff like 'I dont know why I am here' 'I said all that was needed to be said yesterday' is appalling behaviour and attitude from someone who has earnt £14m in a 4 year long job and delivered nothing in terms of development of the team - all the while fans who earn a fraction of what he did getting no answers and no post humiliation explanation.

Everyone wants to know why a sane person would choose a player with no game time and no fitness and no demonstration of form for over a year over a player who won the league with his team whilst being in superb form for 10 months of the season before

Why Sterling who was woefully out of form before the tournament was our only winger when his formation was going to be 4-3-3 which desperately shouts out needing wide players.

Why managers of England constantly choose big clubs players and big transfers over better players at the likes of Leicester - are they not fashionable enough?

Why when we used all our possession to just lump the ball up field 90% of the time we didn't take Andy Carroll.

So many questions around blatant mismanagement which were so obvious to millions of fans in England, yet oblivious to the person that mattered most. How could he have been so blinkered?

• Like 1

Nope, they'll get smashed in the semis by a Portuguese side that will finally wake up. It's a shame, but at some point I think they'll fall and with no Ramsey or Davies I think it'll be the next game. :(

Should be a good one tonight though, Italy vs Germany. Kum on ze Germans!* :D

*That's a chant, not in instruction.

• Like 1

Portugal have disappointed so far and wales are on a high. I don't fancy the Portuguese against wales

Tonight should be good. But another one of the big guns will be going home

Wales Iceland final??

Glad the Germans won, I get that teams play systems, but the Italians were taking the absolute mic playing for penalties for pretty much the whole game. Glad they got them! They clearly have good enough players to play the Germans, they just chose not to and got what was coming.

• Like 2