4X4 Drivers!

What is it with the people who drive 4x4s/small vans etc? they all seem to think its 10ft wide and take up the road accordingly, IE make you squeeze to the curb and just miss your mirrors!

I think these people should have to pass a test that makes them aware of the actual size of these vehicles, I regularly meet artics on the same roads, and have no problem, but 4x4 drivers just have no idea.

The ones I tend to see are mom driving their kids to school. They drive a large 4x4 but they obviously can't drive very well. Of course not all of them are like that. But my mom is a terrible 4x4 driver. When she first started driving, she always hits the curb when she turns. Now she takes a wider turn and crosses the line. I do also get that sometimes on very tight turns as I don't want my rear wheels to hit the curb especially if the curb is quite high.

• Like 1

That's just arseholes, not 4x4 drivers. ;)

I drive a 4x4 daily, and I know exactly how big it is. I've seen people in tiny Clios take up half the road at times.

+1...really doing my best to manage my anger sometimes at the things I come across...makes me wonder if some of them even passed a driving test....

I drive a 4x4 daily, and I know exactly how big it is. I've seen people in tiny Clios take up half the road at times.

As Ekona says, it's because they are arseholes, not because they're driving 4x4s. I occasionally drive my father's RR Vogue if I need to transport something that won't fit in the Zed... I know it's dimensions, and I know how much room I need to use.

What I don't like is how people (if you can call them that) who try to bully you off the road because they have an inferiority complex. In my view, there are 4 types of 4x4 driver (arsehole category):

1. Bully you off the road - inferiority complex

2. "Soccer moms" taking their kids to school, blissfully unaware of their surroundings

3. Executive businessmen who don't give a toss about who you are or what you're driving - he believes he is superior to you in every way and needs to show this.

4. The "size matters" idiot who thinks that because his/her car is bigger than yours, they have priority and you should bow down to them.

On moments like these, I have no greater wish than to equip myself with a tank, and drive at them. See what they do then. :thumbs:

Since I live in Norfolk I am well used to the errr questionable driving standards, like no indication, not liking being overtaken, they move over on you here :scare: but all the 4x4 drivers including all the pick ups crew caps etc just think they either own the road or are way bigger than truck.

Oh and my other pet hate.....so many tail gaiters, and the worst drivers of all are the younger females, abusive with it!

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Try living with French and Belgian drivers going to work every morning!! These imbeciles will literally hog the fast lane doing about 10mph UNDER the speed limit when there is nobody in the slow lane. When you come up behind them, they decide to put the pedal to the metal in their birdbox of a 90's 1.0 Clio.... not noticing that they have the same acceleration as a decrepid old man with a peg leg! They simply refuse to move from the fast lane. Then get aggressive with you once you indicate to the slow lane and whisk past them after having waited for what seems to be an age for them to move.

It's bad for me too... makes me feel like a BMW/Audi driver even though no other option is presented!

I drive a micro 4x4 daily, and I know exactly how small it is. I've seen people in tiny Clios take up half the road at times.

What Dan Said ^^ . . its not what you drive, its how you drive.

I drive a micro 4x4 daily, and I know exactly how small it is. I've seen people in tiny Clios take up half the road at times.

What Dan Said ^^ . . its not what you drive, its how you drive, unless you drive a Prius

Fixed

• Like 1

:lol: Ah the world of stereotypes and drivers

All modified car drivers are chavs and idiots

a cheap ass modded clio is the same as a high end ...350Z modded

350Zs have the engine out of a renault

all BMW and Audi drivers are turds who don't indicate or get out of the fast lane.

all old people should get off the road they're too slow

why is it people in sports cars have to race everywhere

I have a 4X4 i don't drive it because of its size..well actually i do; but not in the way you think. when putting twins into car seats on your own the added height makes it so much easier to put them in and take them out without rupturing my spinal cord. oh and the boot space is bigger, and easier to change a baby in the boot as its higher up.

Having said that, in about 3 years time i will change and go to something lower, most likely a hot estate. once the kids can climb in and do their own belts up.

My wife drives her 4x4 for her back she had a saloon car but getting in and out caused major issues with her twisted spin.

I find the people who are road hogging tend to be large vans and lorries, generally cutting corners lazily. (my drive to work is all twisty back roads) i know drive the lanes part with my mirrors in to avoid having them spanked.

I usually mount the verge to allow more space for those that are spatial unaware.

• Like 1

What Dan Said ^^ . . its not what you drive, its how you drive, unless you drive a Prius

Fixed

Lets not bring the eco electric cars in to this, as you know who will start wobbling on about Tesla's and all that :lol:

• Like 2

Don't have that problem up here in Rural Highland Perthshire, however that may be down to every second vehicle IS a 4x4, except when the tourists are out in force with there motor homes and bloody caravans.

Don't you mean small mind in a big car ;)

I guess the thing that riles me aside form the bad driving is that the dam vehicle is built to go off road, yet they can't hug or even go up the verge slightly to allow you to pass safely, not your the one who gets to go in the verge and fook up your tyres and suspension.

And we are talking county roads here no curbs etc.

Oh well rant over. :)

Lol. Stereotypes are there for a reason.

White Range Rover sport HSE whatever the other day, blonde, good/expensive looking girl absolutely tanking it in a 30 zone, while on the blower. See it often.

Audi drivers..... (Sorry Gareth)

2016-06-07%2017.32.19_zpso0bwqdjc.png

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

^^ Yeah thanks for that TT. :rolleyes::lol:

:lol: Ah the world of stereotypes and drivers

Exactly.

My old man has had loads of BMW's over the years and he is one of the calmest, most polite & courteous drivers I know (always indicates, uses correct lanes, correct speeds, doesn't tailgate etc etc).

He's probably the reason why I'm so anal about the way I drive at times and get annoyed at people who don't indicate or spend their time hogging lanes, tailgating etc. :thumbdown:

I know a lot of us, hopefully mainly in jest, have a go at particular vehicle drivers but at the end of the day it's the person inside the vehicle that's causing the problem being an ar**hole & not the particular type of vehicle that they're driving making them an ar**hole.

• Like 1

Funnily enough, it was only this morning on the way to work, going down the dual carriage way in the fast lane that the traffic slowed down to 60 mph. Everyone was pacing the same speed as the slow lane and there was a perfect sized 4x4 gap between me and the car in-front and, lo and behold! Here comes misses KIA who wants to squeeze in between me and the car in-front and that indicating makes it o.k :thumbs: No, it doesn't :thumbdown: not when you have to speed up because my front bumper is past your back bumper you absolute f&*king cretin!

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

Maybe we need an ongoing "moron drivers" thread, so we can all vent after being incensed by other road users stupidity, mind you it could become clogged very quickly. ;)

There was a website you could go on and search a number plate and see what comments people have put against it (if they put any atall) some are a good laugh to read or have a massive rant and put it against their plate :D

it was on the good ol' Slamber City a few months ago cant remember the site name now though :(

It's like my father... he has had a long line of BMW, Audi and now a Merc (as well as a RR Vogue) and he drives light a saint... so much so that it irritates me!)

Speaking of a**hole drivers... my Zed now has a delighful dent in the front left side bumper and front wing thanks to some pr*ck that stopped his car in the slow lane of the motorway this morning. The slip road was jammed with cars, so this cleverclogs decides to continue past and try to push in to the line further up, to no avail... leaving his car firmly blocking the slow lane.

I'm driving along at around 50mph due to visible traffic... then suddenly the car in front of me moves quickly into the fast lane with no indication... and there is this bloody car stopped and nowhere to go for me. Slammed the brakes on, then came the point when you realize you won't stop in time, so I took evasive action and swerved the only place I could (into the fast lane) and clipped a car in the fast lane. The french pr*ck drove off.

I think driving standards in general have dropped dramatically, lane discipline, leaving gaps, merging traffic, over taking safely; a lot of the basics are not what they used to be. a lot of drivers regardless of vehicle have become lazy and selfish.

lots now drive and park like a c * * T

the amount of people who use parent child parking spaces but have no kids because they're too fat and lazy to walk does my nut in, the people that park over 2 spaces is behaving like a whore.