My 350GT project

Tom_K

• 5 months later...

Afternoon all, another update:

I used the car a decent amount during the good weather but when it started to cool down, I decided to do a job I've been meaning to for a while; straightening and painting the sills.

Some muppet had damaged the sill slightly jacking the car up, so I took everything apart, straightened it all, de-rusted it and painted it. Then filled everything with wax and put it back together.

eLHsQ05.jpg

NxmzNtN.jpg

rcIqCwN.jpg

When removing the skirts, there's a particularly weak clip that broke.

For anyone that wonders why the part of the clip is so thin and weak, it's because of 'sink' or 'show through'. This is an an injection moulding term that basically means, if you have a thick section of plastic on the back surface (like where the clips are on the side skirts), when the part is injection moulded, you'll see a little sinking on the opposite surface (think of the molten plastic cooling down at a different rate where you have a lot of material in one small area). So what designers do is make anything that's joined to a visible surface, as small/thin as possible. This means, for the you and I ~14 years later taking our cars apart, things break.

So, I glued it back in place and added some polyurethane to give it some strength back:

Z8Dpizm.jpg

pncEtk6.jpg

Now painted:

k47Y6dH.jpg

LGCPqr4.jpg

...and waxed:

kk7BgyD.jpg

ML0C7Y1.jpg

KvR6AqG.jpg

I always put a little grease on clips like this on re-assembly to make things a bit easier:

EqeicXz.jpg

And back together:

9C5A56J.jpg