My 350GT project

Tom_K

Well I can see you're all mightily impressed by my thread :lol: but I thought I'd let you all know it passed it's MOT the other day with some very flattering comments from the tester :teeth:

I'll update with some pictures of the most recent work soon; window motor re-build and central locking fixed.

Stu,

Yes! Sounds crazy but I really had high hopes. Youtube it and you'll see.

Either way though, it didn't work lol

Sargara,

Yes, replaced the dual mass with a single mass from CMS. Feels completely fine, no untoward noises as far as I can hear and revs more freely too.

The only thing is has done is accentuate my already slightly noisy gearbox.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Update time!!

Now I've got a new laptop and I'm using imgur to save/upload pictures, I can finally enlighten you all to the work I've been doing over the last few months.

So it all started off with taking the car to get the tracking done and finding the rear camber bolts were all pretty seized. I figured then was a good a time as any to strip everything down and clean it all up.

Any rust was ground down, treated and then painted.

MQ7So8b.jpg

EmPRF3v.jpg

MiH1NsI.jpg

tWr7viJ.jpg

At that point I realised I wasn't going to get the results I wanted without removing the subframe completely, so that happened:

tWr7viJ.jpg

Hzpsisb.jpg

fnLN1av.jpg

DS4GzgJ.jpg

F0QzJuh.jpg

Everything that came off got de-rusted, painted and filled with wax:

q1gQ5YW.jpg

9b4XQ4q.jpg

hnAEubk.jpg

l5yiLPh.jpg

Xo93hJ6.jpg

GMDUnzq.jpg

8SmXV7j.jpg

P1FmKkQ.jpg

M1G19gt.jpg

I tried a product called 'evaporust' to soak things in and I have to say, it worked brilliantly!

I broke a few clips and snapped a bolt, and after calling the dealer, got everything ordered but couldn't get a certain nut apparently, so I had to get creative to save it:

OMkzxtP.jpg

SAdRy1T.jpg

kO0OL4j.jpg

....then it turned out they could get it, so that was a waste of time.

More painting of things and making of gaskets:

9tUdbpT.jpg

uI3XDWd.jpg

N5gAIWk.jpg

cQUyrZe.jpg

GMDUnzq.jpg

Finally, painting the underside and putting it back together:

fGue4it.jpg

nfBlIuO.jpg

FQvRzmH.jpg

db5rBxp.jpg

7pDb0aC.jpg

As9FWDS.jpg

OSoYZJH.jpg

0vajbk0.jpg

8fxR9qN.jpg

FPqiTPS.jpg

mjKjaos.jpg

Once that was all done, I filled every possible box section with bilt hamber cavity wax.

And there you have it! Nobody will ever see any of it lol, well, apart from you guys.

Edited by Tom_K
  • Like 5

Thanks guys.

Stu, you're right, it is a peace of mind thing and even though it's a weekend car, I don't mind taking it out in the rain because it's all protected now.

Strudul, I used a Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 to treat any rust (after it was ground back) and then used some unheard of brand paint tbh. I bought this paint to spray some bits of metal in the garden and found it was really good! Luckily I had a load of it left so I used that. It's actually a hammered finish very dark anthracite colour.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Afternoon all.

Time for another update; this was all done at the same time but I'll try and split it up by job.

So first off, the strut tops had some light surface rust, which on a G35 isn't covered by a strut brace, so I set about sorting that. Everything ground back, treated, primed and painted:

Q8jupQh.jpg
Tt66GQ2.jpg
cdTATrU.jpg

While I was doing that, I tidied up various brackets:

XC0GTo7.jpg
SAFUIXi.jpg

Then finally, something I've been meaning to do for a while; repair a dent / scuff.

The previous owner had scuffed this corner previously, had it repaired by the likes of a smart repair tech and them promptly scuffed the same point again and given up.

As it had already been repaired, I thought I couldn't make it any worse! So figured I'd try sorting it:

First I filled the dent in the wing and the heavy scuffs on the bumper, then primed and sanded then both separately.

To make sure all the surfaces were covered, I painted them both off the car, then mounted them to paint them in the same orientation and hopefully get a better match.

kCzX5Tb.jpg
vDxj6SK.jpg
N6hFp7A.jpg
oEMhEQM.jpg
iasnd9a.jpg
BaSneUc.jpg
slMhnTU.jpg
UPnw0q2.jpg
22oyDcT.jpg

I'm yet to buff it all but fingers crossed!

Edited by Tom_K

Nice work so far

I commented on this thread last summer, didn’t plan on getting one but I’ve just imported one from Japan. Still waiting on a few parts coming for the mot before I can get it registered 

Photobucket has lost all your previous work, do you have a recent photo of it to remind me?

• Like 1

Ah, seems like photobucket doesn’t need like too many people viewing through embedded links. The last batch have been through imgur, I’ll have to re-upload them.

I’m replying on my phone right now, which is painful, but we’ll need to talk more about how your importing goes! I’m very keen on getting something over but have no experience of doing it.

• 3 months later...

Bit of a late update on this but just to keep this thread alive and show the car is still being worked on; I replaced the spark plugs and found it was a good thing to do as the ones that were in there were ~5mm too short. So now it's at least got the correct items in:

eFXdIM2.jpg

qRjBep6.jpg

O1xXqbt.jpg

Once that was done, I gave the engine bay a nice spruce up:

Vc7oKuK.jpg

5FSgKwz.jpg

Thanks Davey. The only part of the underbody that's left is the middle basically, so at some point I'll get the skirts off, remove various bits and complete it all.

I'm not sure if it's a placebo but I'm sure it feels a little 'sharper' with the new plugs.

Well I've lived with a few noises the old girl has been making for a while now and decided to look into them.

First off, there was a noise coming from the front that I suspected might be the drop links. So I removed them, tied the ARB out of the way and went for a test drive to confirm. The noise was gone so that's a new pair of drop links needed:

330eQof.jpg

mvHbU2I.jpg

Next up was a recent development; an exhaust heat shield rattle. Now, I'd already secured all the heat shields but one was still clinging on to the original weld...well, not anymore, so that was fixed:

uzg0GEN.jpg

Also, the aux belt has started squealing so a new one of those is also on the list.

It's also due for a service, even though I don't do many miles in it, so the shopping list is as follows:

New front ARB drop links

New aux belt, maybe even tensioner

Fresh oil and filer

Maybe some new PAS fluid while I'm at it. Anything special needed here?

• 4 weeks later...

Right, time for another update.

Oil service (plus a magnetic sump plug), coolant replaced (rad only), PAS fluid replaced, new belts and arb drop links:

kXAZhdX.jpg

Coolant was definitely due:

EkMs3Pm.jpg

tj6Uu94.jpg

As were the belts!

I0OFS8c.jpg

HnJOyMF.jpg

I drained the PAS reservoir, then filled it back up again instead of undoing a line on the rack and emptying the entire system. I've got enough fluid to slowly 'purge' the system by sucking the reservoir dry and replacing with new fluid a couple of times.

X7cutUt.jpg 

New drop links:

U3s9zy2.jpg

And lastly, a poor picture of the sump...just to finish things off:

WRTIb5x.jpg