annoying jittery accelerator when moving away from standstill

silinda

Hi all, i have tried to get advice on this fault before and tried all advised remedies, ie pedal dance, leaving battery disconnected for a few hours , all other reset procedures, on 350 z 2007 model with the HR engine, 49k miles. The fault is an annoying jitteryness when changing from 1st to second gear, so at around 1400 rpm there is a very slight delay before power kicks in, so if you are really really careful you can drive through this but with normal day to day driving when you have to keep up with traffic in stop start traffic jams this jitteryness in a nightmare to control. Makes me look like an amateur driver! Car runs superbly otherwise.I am beginning to suspect the throttle position sensor but reluctant to change it due to cost in case im wrong, any ideas? Help gratefully received! Thanks, Simon

Just a note to this point and i know im getting really technical here but does anyone know if the white plastic part of the bit that fits into the two metal parts on top of the accelerator pedal should spin as it moves up the pedal as you press the accelerator? Looks to me that it should? But mine doesnt, was just wondering if it has stuck, if anyone could just check if theirs turns as you press the pedal? Probably barking up the wrong tree but just a thought, thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the reply's most helpful. I have tried many things to correct this minor fault but to no avail, . new plugs, air filters , MAF sensors carefully cleaned along with throttle bodies, fuel injector cleaner etc but still i have this slight hesitation around 1500 rpm, its something i can live with but just slightly spoils an otherwise superb driving experience but only when in stop start traffic so i will just have to try and drive fast everywhere! ,

• 3 months later...

Hi silinda

I have the very same issue in slow stop start traffic but never any other time.

mines done 35k on a 58 plate, i've put up with it for the last 21/2 years.

i'm thinking a rolling road tune could highlight what it is but i have a service and rear tyres to do plus a service on the other car.

if i find out what the cause is i'll let you know.

FMJ

• 4 weeks later...

Silinda

i have just had the brake and clutch fluid changed and it seems to have cured the problem with the jittery starts in slow traffic.

when i collected the car i asked the garage what was the condition of the brake and clutch fluids when he changed them.He said the brake fluid was still clean but the clutch fluid was very dirty.

He seem to think the clutch fluid was not changed at the same time as the brake fluid when it was done last, some 2 1/2 years ago. Both are changed now and while driving home i couldn't believe the difference as there was no jittery start in the slow traffic. i also noticed when i parked the car in my garage the chatter you get from the clutch and fly wheel had also reduced.

it's like driving a different car!!

may be worth looking into

regards

FMJ

• 3 weeks later...

know this exact feeling!! I'd love to say the zed has the most temperamental clutch known to man.... Unfortunately Its the only one thing I dislike about the Zed. Cold weather usually and when it feels like it = nice crisp smooth clutch. Warmer weather or damp can be almost jittery and just randomly it seems particularly if sitting for a couple of days It's stumped me for a while but it always goes into gears ok and as you say only in slow traffic.

Feels smooth otherwise.

Thinking if redoing clutch fluid will help no leaks from anywhere though. :s and colour looks okish slightly darker than fresh but not dark brown.

By nature of the zed the idle in my opinion should be a tad higher in general this would help.

• 9 months later...

Hi Folks ...... I have a 57 Plate HR with 49k miles ....had it nearly 2 years and love it .....it has always done a small hiccup when going slowly in 2nd gear and picking up the throttle.

A few weeks ago it got a bit worse and is starting to annoy me, not helped by the traffic being rubbish again after the summer holidays.

It doesn't feel clutch related to me .... it feels engine related, however the car runs great other than this.

Any ideas ...plugs, coil packs, sensors, injectors, vac leak ....

Any advice will  be much appreciated before I spend any of my hard earned trying to fix....

Cheers Simon 

Hi Simon

When was the last brake and clutch fluid change carried out? See my earlier post. If its due get it done and make sure both clutch and brake fluid  gets changed as some garages don't do the clutch. 

Hope this helps.

Lee

Hi there, my low revs jitter, which was a pain in the bum and nearly made me sell the car, was cured by an Uprev remap, carried out by Dynatune at East Kilbride, a chap who really new what he was doing, its to do with the exhaust valve variable valve timing being to far retarded at low revs. I had changed plugs , oils, filters , cleaned maf sensors you name it all to no avail. I even had my local Nissan dealer put it on their diagnostics equipment as they stated that they had "state of the art" diagnostics equipment  who came up with a £50 bill and said it needed all 4 oxygen sensors changing at a cost of £1250!!! Nothing wrong with oxygen sensors as the Uprev cured it, and its been a dream to drive ever since. 

Thanks for the advise .....

Not sure when clutch fluid was changed, probably ages ago ....... I had the brake fluid changed about 18 months ago.

The car is booked in for a check over early next week and will be getting the clutch (and brake) fluid changed .....

Will see how it goes and fingers crossed that fixes it ....If it doesn't and there isn't anything obviously wrong..... I will have a good think about an Uprev remap, just been reading some articles and posts .... they sound rather good !

Thanks  hope it all works out if not then up rev is the next step.

Unfortunately I have sold my 58 plate Z back in April  but had a great three years of  fun wth it.

if you do need  the up rev there is plenty of  peeps on here to  advise who to go to in your area.

best of luck

Lee