Clutch pivot ball failure

88 Zed

So ive just got home after loosing my clutch pedal on the motorway. After a frustrating drive with no clutch ive had a look at the damage.

The slave cylinder (replaced at christmas with a clutch and flywheel)

Has extended to much and popped out because the clutch fork appears to have moved.

I think the pivot ball has come off and the fork has moved, cant see for sure lying down on the floor with the torch on my phone covered in brake fluid!

Has anyone experienced this before and if so is there a uprated part i cant get hold of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A common issue if you upgrade the clutch.

You have the choice of OEM or upgraded pivot balls .

The Chromoly pivot ball is much stronger than the OEM carbon steel.

Best to replace the washer and the retaining spring as well.

Edited by ZMANALEX
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its not a bad job to do at all really, just frustrating doing it again so soon as j changed the clutch and flywheel at christmas!

My own fault for not noticing it then probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...

No,

You don't say if your car is a DE or an HR.

Pivot ball failure will not generate an air lock.

If you are following the correct bleed system then the air in the hydraulic system should dissipate.

Not following the correct bleed procedure is the usual culprit, however the correct pedal adjustment is also important.

Perhaps you have fitted the wrong slave cyl. or you may have a faulty master cyl.

However, my money is on the bleed procedure, which can sometimes be a bit tricky and be a real ball ache.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

No,

If you are following the correct bleed system then the air in the hydraulic system should dissipate.

Not following the correct bleed procedure is the usual culprit, however the correct pedal adjustment is also important.

Perhaps you have fitted the wrong slave cyl. or you may have a faulty master cyl.

However, my money is on the bleed procedure, which can sometimes be a bit tricky and be a real ball ache.

Do you have a suggestion on best way to bleed?  It's DE by the way

6 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

No,

Regards