All new Top Gear May 2016

Spatt

Again, wait for the final viewing figures. TG has been consistently higher this series than last.

It's a shame that CE felt the need to go, but I think it's the right call. It's managed to get me watching again though, which is something I'd never have done under the old guard. Perhaps they'll drop that awful first car/best car nonsense now!

god you sound like Evans :dry:

First it was the viewing rating were amazing look how big my **** is then when it fell on its face viewer rating were irrelevant :stir:

701846_chris_evans_tweet_c3fb1e139303cfebf1b39feae7911bd3.jpg

Overnight television viewing figures for Top Gear have never been less relevant. Obviously some newspapers prefer to live in the past.

Edited by StevoD

I would say that the tone on this thread has been that the last 4 episodes really did outperform expectations. So did he do a good job, I think so. It was unfortunately the first episode showed him doing the stuff that people had stereotyped him with, so confirming their suspicions. Otherwise it is a good show!

Sadly as mentioned elsewhere, i dont think he/they had the luxury of producing the first episode which wasnt going to blow peoples socks off, if ce and mlb in a relaint robins were your bag, the old tg was infinitely better.

Anyway, onwards and upwards or downwards depending on what or who the beeb think is the answer.

i'm a little sad tbh. yes I've never been particularly fond of CE, and while he did really grate in the first two episodes with his continuous shouting, he has improved a fair bit in the last 4 episodes. and the piece he did on the MG was ok. i'd have given him another couple of series to settle in.

but I suspect even those who initially doubted him would have been warming to him, unfortunately with so much social media coverage it must have felt so disheartening to have so much media abuse after the first two episodes. the Beeb really misjudged what to put in the first episode, if they'd have had either the fast fezza or the AM Vulcan it would have been so much better.... even the race to beat the train would have been better than the 'race' to blackpool.

I don't think any of the presenters were perfect - even CH came across a little childish at times. but have to say, of all the pieces, CHs and RRs were the most enjoyable, followed by MLB. maybe next series they should see how those three get on together on a roadtrip for example.

Still, bring on the Grand Tour in autumn, then we can pick favourites!

He's the David Moyes to Clarkson's Ferguson, come into a role where it is impossible to satisfy the bulk of fans. The next lead presenter will just have to be better than Evans, not comparable Clarkson.

I'd love to see Coogan do it.

• Like 1

He's the David Moyes to Clarkson's Ferguson, come into a role where it is impossible to satisfy the bulk of fans. The next lead presenter will just have to be better than Evans, not comparable Clarkson.

I thought the BBC have already stated they won't be replacing him or has that since changed?

Why do they need to replace him? Chris Harris and Rory are the 2 who actually know about cars. Once their profile has increased a bit, there should be no reason why they can't be part of the main show. Hopefully the videos starting on the TG website will help with this.

I am no CE fan, but it wholly wrong that such investigations are revealed before evidence is confirmed to justify an arrest, let alone the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Who knows it might be another Cliff Richard debacle, but the media justs loves to presume guilty until proved innocent - how would we like that to happen to any of us knowing we were totally innocent that could (and does) ruin lives?

• Like 2

Yes it is poor, the people that bring these allegations are given anonymity and I cannot see why people it is brought against even before an arrest is made are then named and shamed when they are innocent and they will never shake off that incident for the rest of their lives.

Anyway, TG, I really enjoyed it, no matter who was presenting such a relief to get a break away from the three guys rolling out the same old lines ruining great cinematography. Whoever came up with the idea of focusing the TG show on the events and entertainment and creating the online follow up to look at the more technical side deserves a great pat on the back, in fact many people miss this and do not realise EG is there.

Now that is a great shout! I'd watch it 100%

I am no CE fan, but it wholly wrong that such investigations are revealed before evidence is confirmed to justify an arrest, let alone the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Who knows it might be another Cliff Richard debacle, but the media justs loves to presume guilty until proved innocent - how would we like that to happen to any of us knowing we were totally innocent that could (and does) ruin lives?

Yes it is poor, the people that bring these allegations are given anonymity and I cannot see why people it is brought against even before an arrest is made are then named and shamed when they are innocent and they will never shake off that incident for the rest of their lives.

Anyway, TG, I really enjoyed it, no matter who was presenting such a relief to get a break away from the three guys rolling out the same old lines ruining great cinematography. Whoever came up with the idea of focusing the TG show on the events and entertainment and creating the online follow up to look at the more technical side deserves a great pat on the back, in fact many people miss this and do not realise EG is there.

No different to Jeremy Clarkson what so ever and everyone was keen to jump to on that bandwagon, JC has never been charged does that make him innocent too?

Edited by Jetpilot

No different to Jeremy Clarkson what so ever and everyone was keen to jump to on that bandwagon, JC has never been charged does that make him innocent too?

JC admitted he did it though. He wasn't charged because Tymon didnt press charges, and Clarkson apologised for doing it.

I think there is a substantial difference between the two...

Just think of the programme as evolution. Nothing ever stays the same. I would like to see Sabine more involved in the next series.

There is something quite brilliant about Sabine laughing her head off whilst executing sensational driving skills in amazing sports cars. I really enjoy seeing variations in presenters in the show.

No, because he admitted it :lol:

Not at first, the media was all over it before he admitted it, but seems ok because JC had history :)

Edited by Jetpilot

There were a squad of witnesses running to the press, photos of a bloodied Tymon etc etc.

I think that is in no way comparable to someone coming out and reporting an alleged sexual assault from 20 years ago.

Ah thats ok that it was 20 years ago ;) No need to remind you the bbc have a "little" history of looking the other way.

Anyway, as i said with JC at the time, innocent until proven guilty, but there is no smoke without fire ;)

And I think looking back you will find most of us were saying he should go if proven guilty which of course came out as true within a few days (didnt stop a million people putting a petition to parliament in the meantime saying he was not guilty...). Unfortunately if you do something in the public eye like Clarkson did, then it will be reported to the public. He punched someone in front of dozens of witnesses including random members of the public.

And I think looking back you will find most of us were saying he should go if proven guilty which of course came out as true within a few days (didnt stop a million people putting a petition to parliament in the meantime saying he was not guilty...). Unfortunately if you do something in the public eye like Clarkson did, then it will be reported to the public. He punched someone in front of dozens of witnesses including random members of the public.

curse of being famous aswell as i bet a good couple thousand punches are thrown on a Friday night in towns around the UK and a low percentage of them loose a job or get prosecuted,

• Like 1

Yep absolutely right, but then again pretty sure some of these sexual assault allegations would never happen 20 years down the line if the person wasn't in the public eye. Clarkson was a complete muppet, on a warning for various indiscretions then he goes and gets drunk and does that. Got what was coming really when he got sacked from a job he clearly loved. Stupidity of an arrogant person.

• Like 1