All new Top Gear May 2016

Spatt

Just back from doing Scotland's NC 500, we met a guy at the "evo" bridge who said Top Gear were there last week filming and it should be on next week's show, some bits must be filmed close to broadcast, the studio bits have massively improved and Evans is clearly taking a back seat to MLB in the studio.

I told my other half i wanted a Vulcan but she's not keen on selling her organs to pay for it.

I blame Roy Ried for making me spend a disgusting amount of £ on a car. I was fully expecting another session of EV bashing as per Clarkson, but instead he just confirmed every thing I already know about EVs.

But I do realise the irony of taking consumer advice from a show like TopGear :)

Edited by gangzoom

Just caught up with the last three after my holibobs. They're getting better, particularly the more screen time Harris gets and the less studio time Evans gets. The really tedious star blah blah car bit is really starting to grate though.

Yes the star section is too long, its ten minutes at least each week! I get that there is a commercial angle there as usually they are advertising their latest book or whatever but its too long. I like the rally cross section though.

Nah, I think you'd need someone for MLB to bounce off else it'll be a bit dull, he'd just be reading from an autocue all the time.

CH would be the obvious and natural choice, they were superb together on EG this week. This also might explain why CE wasn't on the sofa at the end...

Well, that sucks. I guess it was probably half criticism, half ridiculous workload.

So, does one of the team step up or do they get someone else?

and half that he's s*$&..

sorry mate, I really tried to give him a chance, but it just didnt work. And too be honest, I havent enjoyed any of the presenters - the best part of the series was Ken block in his mustang..and that would have been improved if Matt wasnt in it!

What a result!!!! Chuffed with this announcement! At least I won't have to fast forward through the Evans bits or like last night when he's on the last segment turn it over.

I wonder if Clarkson Hammond and May will rub it in on Twitter?

• Like 2

I think ultimately Chris was always going to be a polarising character. Personally, I think he is no more annoying than his predecessor - Chris's ranting is nothing different to Clarkson's ranting and sometimes racists and outdated views of the world.

I would think the BBC looked at the numbers and saw that people will just hate Chris for being Chris, much moreso than Clarkson, regardless of how well the show is produced. So it was probably a mutual decision to step away for the good of the programme and the other presenters. No doubting four of the six episodes have been epic, much better than any of the last few series presented by CHM. Its still a great visual treat (which many doubted it would be) it just needs presentation refinement, but of course it does, things do not just switch on and off that easily.

I feel a bit like one of those Brexiters* that now want back in.. I didn't like hyper-Evans, but as the shows went on (and he calmed down a bit), was he really that obnoxious?

:lol:

* Only sympathy mind you - I was a Remainer personally.

• Like 2

Whilst i may not be in a position to comment having only watched the first episode, the success of clarkson, hammond and may wasnt down to individuals, it was the three combined, so CE to JC comparisons are fruitless, it was about much more than one man, it would seem like the Beeb thought CE would be enough, but ironically its the others people have warmed to.

Again, wait for the final viewing figures. TG has been consistently higher this series than last.

It's a shame that CE felt the need to go, but I think it's the right call. It's managed to get me watching again though, which is something I'd never have done under the old guard. Perhaps they'll drop that awful first car/best car nonsense now!