All new Top Gear May 2016

Spatt

I think the grand tour will be awesome. It has to be to live up to the expectations but the budget should allow for some really big crazy moment (which is good right) so no worries there.

Regarding the re-hash of old Top Gear, I dont think the aim was to make a completely new program... Its the same program but it should at least feel a little different with the new presenters. I dont expect to tune into a show called Top Gear and not see some familiarities to what i'm used too... Otherwise they might as well close it all down and launch a new show (with a new name) This could have been done easily but i figured BBC are going to retain a format that obviously works

I dont believe it was the format that worked that well, it was the presenters. The problem is that the BBC bought the TopGear rights at a silly figure and now the key presenters have moved on. But hey ho, thats just my opinion

• Like 1

I think the grand tour will be awesome. It has to be to live up to the expectations but the budget should allow for some really big crazy moment (which is good right) so no worries there.

Regarding the re-hash of old Top Gear, I dont think the aim was to make a completely new program... Its the same program but it should at least feel a little different with the new presenters. I dont expect to tune into a show called Top Gear and not see some familiarities to what i'm used too... Otherwise they might as well close it all down and launch a new show (with a new name) This could have been done easily but i figured BBC are going to retain a format that obviously works

I dont believe it was the format that worked that well, it was the presenters. The problem is that the BBC bought the TopGear rights at a silly figure and now the key presenters have moved on. But hey ho, thats just my opinion

I think it was a combination.

I wont complain about watching exotica having the t*ts thrashed off it though so seeing as it looks like the format is staying the same, i will be watching, as for the new presenters, if they can gel like the old trio all the better.

I'm firmly in the old TG camp, JC just didn't give a toss and his dry soh is just spot on. That and the chemistry between all 3 of them just worked for me. I can't stand CE, I find him excruciatinglying boring and just a fudd, but that just me. MLB, not really a fan and I don't know anything about the other guy.

Will still give it a try though but I'm not holding my breath for it to be entertaining, CANT wait for the 3 amigos new show though on Amazon.

• Like 1

The issue lies in most people expecting Top Gear to be different, which it isn't going to be, because it is still Top Gear, but it wont stop everyone feeling like Chris Evans and the rest are just trying to copy the old 3's style, which it very much looks like on the trailer. Sorry but I just the new presenters enough to not even bother watching the first one.

I dont know why people actually watched Top Gear looking for serious car stuff, its an entertainment show, and for people like me, who like cars, it fit the bill perfectly. I loved the old 3, and look forward to seeing more of them, what ever they do ( even James May's toy shows ;) )

Clarkson the journo is intelligent & witty. Clarkson the TV car guy is boorish and predicatable.

Hammond the generic TV show man and Wipeout voiceover guy is likeable and funny. Hammond the TV car guy is obvious and a sap.

May the serious TV science man is down to earth and charming. May the TV car guy is dull and an apparent fall guy for old 'n' slow jokes.

That's not to say they were always like that, indeed the first half dozen series of TG they really weren't like that at all. Before the stereotypes set in, they had far more personality on TG and it was superb. I think that might have been my biggest issue with TG: All the jokes were the same, because they played on the exact same typecasting of the TG characters. The setups and locations weren't a terrible idea (indeed, the amount of work to keep them new must've been a huge challenge), but being able to see the joke coming long before it was even said just isn't the kind of TV I enjoy. Millions do, I get that, and if I'd been in their shoes I'd have carried on the same as well.

Now, if they can shift those personas a bit then TGT will be excellent and right up my street. If TG manages to stereotype Evans, LeBlanc, Harris etc then I'll be as bored of that as I was before Clarkson got hangry. Looking at it from an optimistic view though, I reckon I'm on to go from zero car TV shows of interest to two superb ones. :)

There was a definite patch where it did get tiresome i agree, but in essence they were victims of their own success, its why people tuned in, to watch three idiots doing stupid things with cars and how do you keep that going series after series without getting a little repetitive.

The last two series actually got back to seemingly being less staged and they had some pretty funny features and some good stuff on varying cars.

The characters they adopted wouldnt have worked on their own, but they worked together, be dull as you like if you had three guys who all liked the same thing, could you imagine three Ekonas or three Jetpilots on a show, everyone has a character like on here and i for one would say we are all pretty predictable will our responses and mannerisms.

I also find CE an interesting choice, i feel he is likely to put more people off the show than on, i cant see anyone who likes CE is going to think, well i will watch car show now because he is presenting.

Edited by Jetpilot

He doesn't have to really, it was always punching above its weight in terms of viewing figures. That said, I suspect it'll go from strength to strength, MLB will make it eminently more watchable around the world because Joey.

• Like 1

They have picked probably the worst weekend to relaunch top gear. No body is going to be in watching TV with the weather like this on a bank holiday.

Well I might be watching but not sure I will remember with the amount of cider I have sunk already lol

• Like 1

It's ace! :D

Okay, the Stars bit isn't great but it never has been, really enjoying the rest of it so far. MLB is brilliant as the other guy, Evans you'll love or hate but I think he's great.

Genuine lols at not mentioning catering and claiming custody of the Stig :lol:

That's what he does though, he's a lively shouty person on TV. Also, he was nervous as f*ck which didn't help I suspect.

In all seriousness, it was okay. I'll watch it again as there's hints of evidence it's not just going to be the same old guff, but at the same time the Star thing in the Mini definitely didn't work at all. MLB is genius though, he really is going to make or break it I think. Thank god the news bit has gone, that was always pointless, and hopefully Harris will be in it more than just on BBC3 behind the scenes.

Putting aside my equal hate for old TG and my fangirlness for Evans, I reckon it's a solid 7/10. Could be better, but a promising start.

I miased the forst 24 minutes so the forst bit i saw wast the Stars in a shamless plug of tedious nonsense segment. I really hoped theyd bin that. :( changing the car and course has done nothing to improve that ag all!

That said, I'm very undecided still. It was no worse than old Top Gear, but it was no better either

I'm not convinced by MLB's character but Evans wasn't terrible.