All new Top Gear May 2016

Spatt

Hi Folks, Not sure if there is already a thread - if so please point me in the right direction and delete this.

This Sunday 29th May Chris Evens' Top Gear car show starts and a lot of people have very mixed views on what to come. What are peoples thoughts?

I was very pleased to hear that Chris Harris had been offered the job and although I've only been a fan for the last couple of years I hope the BBC haven't put a tight leash on. He's very funny when he gets going.

I will give it a go as well, but I am not a fan of Chris Evans. I dont think that much of Chris Harris as a presenter, I find his YouTube stuff very boring..... I just really hope it doesnt end up being another 5th Gear, watched that over the weekend and WOW they are boring!

Can't wait, it's going to be ace! :D

Trailers look good, fresh and exciting rather than the turgid nonsense we had before, and Evans is nothing less than polarising. If it's everything the last TG wasn't, then it'll be brilliant.

• Like 1

I think Chris Evans is fairly entertaining and while Chris Harris is a bit boring he can certainly drive. Got a good feeling about Matt though, I think he will a bit of a laugh. I'll give it a go and see what its like, you know the cars and the cinematography will be spot on though

I'm afraid that my alleigances lie with the 3 buffoons currently signed on with Amazon Prime! I for one will be very interested to see what's to come with this enormous budget they've been given... and especially now there is absolutely no leash whatsoever to censor them!

• Like 3

I'm afraid that my alleigances lie with the 3 buffoons currently signed on with Amazon Prime! I for one will be very interested to see what's to come with this enormous budget they've been given... and especially now there is absolutely no leash whatsoever to censor them!

I'll still be watching on Amazon too, but two car shows have to be better than one?

• Like 1

I'll still be watching on Amazon too, but two car shows have to be better than one?

Don't get me wrong, I'll give the new Top Gear a whirl.. but what I am saying is that I have absolutely no faith in Chris Evans, I find Chris Harris to be extremely boring, and Matt LeBlanc - well that remains to be seen.

I agree with this to be honest, I do think the JC, RH and JM made for good viewing so I can't wait for their series on Amazon Prime.

That aside I think the success of it lies with the 'new batch' doing their own thing rather than imitating what the previous trio were doing. The BBC have amazing cinematography and you can see from the trailer it's looking very good so I think I'm very intrigued into how the show will work.

But essentially - two shows will be better than one!

Exactly this. The Grand Tour will be for the fuddy-duddies who just want to watch the same regurgitated stuff they've been watching whilst sat in their pipe and slippers for the last ten years; and the new Top Gear will be for the cool kids who are bang on trend and want their shows to be fun, exciting and fresh!

...regurgitated stuff ....

So you believe that the "regurgitated stuff" is the trio rather than the BBC?!? Im of the belief that its the other way around and it was the BBC that kept forcing it.

Either way, looking forward to having 2 car shows :)

• Like 1

Exactly this. The Grand Tour will be for the fuddy-duddies who just want to watch the same regurgitated stuff they've been watching whilst sat in their pipe and slippers for the last ten years; and the new Top Gear will be for the cool kids who are bang on trend and want their shows to be fun, exciting and fresh!

Because Eddie Jordan and Chris Evans are young and fresh???

• Like 1

I for one cant wait. pretty much anything car related i'll be watching. I mean, i'm still happily watching top gear USA (which is what I suspect Clarkson, Hammond and May's new show will be like).

Granted the presenter lineup on topgear wont please everyone, but then again theres so many of them now that there will be at least a few that you like.

and Old top gear was very hit and miss, it had some great features and car reviews, and then it has some really obviously scripted tosh. hopefully The Grand Tour will have more of the good stuff, and less of the bad.

• Like 1

I'm just a bit concerned that all the hype and expectations for The Grand Tour won't be met. Such high expectations with a budget like that! Whereas the new TG might easily exceed expectations as they are so rock bottom.

Because Eddie Jordan and Chris Evans are young and fresh???

Didn't say they were young :p But yes, pretty much anything Evans does or tries to do is at least different.

In fairness to the old TG, the production company only produced what sold well. Clearly I was in the minority in finding it dull and repetitive, but millions enjoyed it so why would they change anything? They will have to now due to various legalese reasons, which can only be a good thing for me. Whilst I expect a fair amount of new TG to be in the same format (Stig, the Star etc) I'm really hoping for a new take on the rest of the show. Certainly new opinions will make a huge difference, as we all knew what JC/RH/JM were going to say before they said it. I've no idea what LeBlanc looks for in a car, or Evans, or anyone other than Harris really.

They could both be rubbish, but for the first time in many a year I'm actually looking forward to watching a car show again. :)

Wowzers,. some great view points to this but i guess we all agree that having two car shows is better than having one or worse still none ;)

This Sundays show could be the start of something really good and i think it deserves a fresh opinion and reviewed for what it is. From what I've seen on the trailers it looks like its going to be great!

Ultimately wasn't Top Gear one of the biggest shows on TV? Sure it had its moments (i shudder when i think of that episode where Clarkson is trying to burn Hammond with a blow torch... and there was a pizza involved... and i'm not really sure what was funny about it all)... Other than that the show was great right up until it stopped.

Wowzers,. some great view points to this but i guess we all agree that having two car shows is better than having one or worse still none ;)

This Sundays show could be the start of something really good and i think it deserves a fresh opinion and reviewed for what it is. From what I've seen on the trailers it looks like its going to be great!

Ultimately wasn't Top Gear one of the biggest shows on TV? Sure it had its moments (i shudder when i think of that episode where Clarkson is trying to burn Hammond with a blow torch... and there was a pizza involved... and i'm not really sure what was funny about it all)... Other than that the show was great right up until it stopped.

Really...... James May naked in a Aston Martin race car makes me shudder :scare:

So on the new trailer, what looks "exiting and fresh"

Lots of tyre smoking, jet planes, race tracks, stig, cars with a guns on the roof, matt lb in a reliant robin painted in stars and stripes on a tow truck.......

I think you may be a bit disappointed, seems pretty regurgitated to me ;) looks no more than a fresh wrapper but the same inside.

• Like 3

Yep will tune it just because it's another car show...something we lack, can't say if I will stay tuned in or not throughout the series as I can't watch the US version without wanting to punch Adam Ferrara in the throat...they have the name, the fans, the experience and knowing what the viewers want...they just sadly have Chris Evans.

I think the grand tour will be awesome. It has to be to live up to the expectations but the budget should allow for some really big crazy moment (which is good right) so no worries there.

Regarding the re-hash of old Top Gear, I dont think the aim was to make a completely new program... Its the same program but it should at least feel a little different with the new presenters. I dont expect to tune into a show called Top Gear and not see some familiarities to what i'm used too... Otherwise they might as well close it all down and launch a new show (with a new name) This could have been done easily but i figured BBC are going to retain a format that obviously works