Anyone come from an MX5?

Scylla

Hi, my first post. Am on my second Mk1 MX5 and think they're great cars. I was about to trade up to a late Mk3 Roadster Coupe, but have felt increasingly drawn to the 350Z. Clearly it will cost a lot more to own and run than an MX5, but I'd really like to hear from any former MX owners about their experiences of making the transition.

I don't drive a lot - walk to work as often as I can but drive in if I have to make a car trip for work that day. So the occasional daily use and weekends.

Is it worth the extra running cost for you? They look so fantastic and since I started researching them, the prospect of a Mk 3 MX5 doesn't seem so attractive. Any thoughts appreciated.

I had an NA a few years back, although not at the same time as my Zed. I've driven a couple of Ncs too.

Night and day. For me, the NC is a shadow of the NA and NB, and I wouldn't even place one against a 350 in any comparative term. The 350 steers better, brakes better, feels better, goes better etc. The only thing the NC has is the lower weight and a better gearchange, but that's it. In terms of the drive, it's an absolute no brainer to pick a 350 over an NC.

I'd always go 350Z over Mk3, no competition.

350Z over Mk1? Well, there's no doubt the 350Z is a better car in almost every way, but I do wish I never got rid of the Mazda!

TX1Xedm.jpg

I've never owned one, but when my step daughter lost her license for 12 months in 2003 I had exclusive use of her 03 MX5 on the condition that I took her to work in the morning :) Great fun, reliable and economical but very cramped, I'm 6 feet, less than 80kg so goodness knows how a 6 foot 2, 100kgs guy would mange. 350Z is much more roomy, some owners on here are really tall, eats the miles up effortlessly and reliability is pretty good. MPG on short runs is around 20-22, longer runs anything between 26 and 30.

Pete

I've had two mk2.5s and loved them! Second was an upgrade from non-sport to sport, I sold because it felt too claustrophobic with the hood/hardtop up and winter was approaching.

I tested a mk3 mx5 before buying my Z and found it cramped and underwhelming - it had an after market exhaust but I could barely hear it, felt slow and didn't have the instant sense of connection with the road / what the car was doing / fun as I'd had with previous 5's. Mk3s are known to need a geo setup and preferably lowering springs to improve the handling, this was improved somewhat on the mk3.5. I took a passenger ride in a mk3.5 at Cadwell, it had exhaust mods, mapped with meister r's and a few other mods; I was amazed at how much the driver could attack and easily keep up with more powerful and expensive machinery, although I'm not a good passenger so just wanted it to end! The car was impressive though! They'll always be the stigma around 5s but I guess that doesn't bother you as you've got one!

The Z is a real step up. It's faster, louder (with a much sweeter six cylinder engine, esp HR), has low down torque, has real road presence, is much more spacious and well kitted out inside. It's heavier so isn't as nimble as a 5, but some suspension mods can improve this. As you've said, it's a more expensive car to buy and run. I enjoy my commute every day and the Z offers great capability to do long journeys, spirited country lanes and even has decent boot space (similar size to a 5's). I drove a DE roadster and was underwhelmed by the performance but surprised by the composed ride. A drive in an HR coupe with sticky tyres and exhaust mods was truely exhilirating, I was sold and that Z is now mine!

I had regular access to a Mk2.5 1.8 Sport when I had my 350, and drove both fairly regularly. The MX was good fun for a couple of miles, but felt like a toy car in comparison to the 350. Totally different sensation. As said, the interior is nicer and there is far more room in the 350, plus the extra power. If I was going 3 miles in the summer with the sun shining I'd take the MX (or walk), but anything longer than that and it was the 350 every day for me.

I had an NB a couple of cars before the zed - whilst the MX5 was a good car, and good fun in the twisties, ultimately I chopped it in due to a lack of power - 140bhp just didn't cut the mustard. also compared to the zed the interior is quite dated, the zed is a comfier place to be, and considerably more spacious - i'm just over 6ft and had to modify the seat in the mx5 so I could see under the windscreen. No such problems in the zed. and while the mx5 sounded good with a sports exhaust on and the roof down, its no where near as nice as the 3.5 litre V6 with a cobra exhaust on!

• Like 1

I upgraded from a MK2 1.8 limited edition jasper conran and the Mazda was extremely reliable and the handling was beautiful, direct and excellent fun but found it somewhat lacking in power BUT on thither hand the Z has bag loads or power , also puts a smile our face . I admit running costs are marginally higher but these are two different cars with different value paradigm's.

I have not found the costs t high (albeit this is subjective) , but comparatively there is no contest you want more power, more involved driving experience.

Hope this helps :D4b7677d1a69feaeb3674aa80e0ff01bc.jpgf196d1f09eba0253e4c403b9a804a80d.jpg49077470a376e26575edde17e73ad830.jpg3274ec5daa1de3d75e7844c8698de5fd.jpg9012c7e662664f8d9585bae719cd99f5.jpgc09a9fcb8b7dbf8f7015a0fc2f90e751.jpg

Edited by kbad

I love my 370 but after test driving the MX5 couldn't resist one

The Zed is a beast supercharged but the Mazda is so light and chuckable with an excellent power to weight ratio it's a pleasure to drive but I would never sell my Zed for the Mazda as my only car

76b30a20ac43846e1ff4fa960d4ea254.jpg

04adcdc8593d7dae231528d316482def.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks folks, some really good replies :)

I seem to have developed a borderline obsession with the 350z over the last week or so, but I am nothing if not fickle and changeable. By this time next week, I might be committed to buying a 3rd MX5 after all.

There's no question that if money were no object, it would be a 350, but money definitely is a big consideration. I'm an old fart, and learned long ago that if a thing takes up too much of your disposable, it ceases to be a pleasure.

It all hangs on the sale of my VW Campervan, which I listed on eBay classified tonight. Whatever I get for it will determine to a large extent what my next car will be.

Take care y'all

Had a mk3 2l mx5 for 2 years, always felt it could have had more power....I had a Type R for 5.5 years, nothing made me grin the way the Type R did......until I got the 350 8 weeks ago, the HR engine-now I have a wide grin again driving it - 350z hands down...

• Like 1

Previously owned a Mk3.5 2ltr Sport Tech before I got the HR Z, in my opinion the MX5 handles better but I had it fully set up by Roddisons Motorsport so it gripped well ! Same setup 50/50 weight distrubution, LSD, rear wheel drive so the Z felt like a natural progression although the Gearbox in the MX5 is far better in terms of daily driving, nice short smooth shifts, only reason I swapped to a Z was straight line speed, the MX5 felt flat.

Tight twisty roads the Z feels like a tank in comparison to the MX5 and requires a lot more effort to drive it quick but as soon as the road opens up a bit the Z is in its element and it goes & grips well, oh and not to mention sounds soooo much better. That's my two cents anyway.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...