06 Raodster Hood Auto Lock motor problems post new roof fit.

edenc

Hi all,

Just getting my Zed ready to sell and the last thing I really had to do was put a new hood on. Naturally, I waited 'till it was ready to go assuming all would be well. However, everything was fine until I noticed that with the new hood fitted the fifth bow wouldn't quite seal against the hatch lid. We're talking about half an inch here, if that; just enough to let moisture in. I have read up on the dreaded 5th bow motor problems that can affect all models, but seem pronounced on the =>2004 but this isn't the motor, of that I am sure.

So, when putting the hood up everything is fine, the hatch lid closes, the fifth bow drops, the fifth bow motor closes so that the loop has dropped into the hatch lid, the Auto Lock Motor pulls the 5th bow down, but doesn't pull it completely tight against the hatch lid. There is plenty of give in the roof fabric to allow for the discrepancy and I make sure that the header handle is left undone in the cockpit to keep everything loose. I thought maybe the hood needed to bed in a bit, but it's been on for a few days and operated up and down a fair bit so I don't think it's that.

I found a thread on a site where someone had entered this

this is the linkage from the auto lock motor (housed in the hatch lid) being out of place. This is the latch built into the hatch lid that reaches up and pulls the back of the top down tight. There is a technical service bulletin on this from Nissan. It’s a very simple and quick repair that doesn’t require any new parts.
which looks like it might be addressing the issue but I can't, for the love Pete, find the technical service bulletin. It's probably just my search terms, but has anyone come across this issue or the Nissan TSB referred to?

I have 370Z roadster in my cross-hairs and this is the only thing standing between me and it. Well that and the minor issue of selling this, of course.

Any input greatly received.

P.S. Sorry about the fat fingered spelling of 'Roadster' in the title. Doh!

Edited by edenc

Ahhh, that seemed like too much of a thing to hope for, without wanting to hit the panic button. I'll give it a bit of time...and try to find the Nissan TSB to be proactive. Thanks for the input Paul

Also if you have only just had it done you should leave it in the up position for a few weeks at least. Especially if it's quite cool weather wise. If you can leave it in the sun to warm up that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk