New member: 370Z soft top problem

Hi members!

I have been driving 350s and 370s for many years and have just recently taken a chance on a 370z with a soft top issue.

I am aware of the horror stories such as not being able to get parts and Nissan only offering the whole top as a replacement costing over £10K

There's some broken parts where the thing has been forced, by the looks of it. Also, and can see one piston broken.

The whole thing opens up, gets about half way, then the window fails to pull itself down and in.

My question is firstly, does anyone have a 370z soft top in Hertfordshire that I can take a look at and compare?

Also, anyone know of a good mechanic able to remove broken metal parts and re-fabricate them?

Looking forward to any comments!!!

Chris

Hi again,

I have had a couple of people give me their opinion and it seems the whole soft top has been taken out and repaired once before and replaced. A couple of parts each side have been re-fabricated and guess that everything was working fine before.

I have some pictures: https://mega.nz/#F!xxFyzQqR!XXx2r2tLG_c_1gqgyoWJRg

Forgive my terminology, however it looks like one piston bar has snapped. Also, looks like there's a break at a weak spot at the brackets each side.

Today, the top actually nearly completed the process getting to the part where the top is almost all inside the car, then the cover comes down but cannot close.

When closed the top, everything seems to work great in reverse however the window falls down quite quickly onto the cover (I'm guess this motion should be quite smooth?).

Chris

Take some pictures of the problematic area and I will try and replicate them for you.

I would also give sly at kaizer motors a call as he knows all there is to know about zeds, including the roof

Thank you!

Pictures would be great - I opened the top half way, then took pictures of the pivot point (the main bracket).

Looking forward to comparing.

Chris

Chris,

After looking at your images I would be inclined to think that you would be best swopping out the complete roof with one from a breaker.

That would then do away with any unforeseen issues and the aggro.

Alex. :)

• Like 2

Chris,

After looking at your images I would be inclined to think that you would be best swopping out the complete roof with one from a breaker.

Yeah it looks that way - I have had a quick look online for a breaker - my hunch is that these cars don't become available often!

If anyone knows the best way to search for a soft top, I'm all ears - I have signed up with some online breakers in the past looking for some basic items and never heard anything back...

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Chris,

Yeah it looks that way - I have had a quick look online for a breaker - my hunch is that these cars don't become available often!

If anyone knows the best way to search for a soft top, I'm all ears - I have signed up with some online breakers in the past looking for some basic items and never heard anything back...

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Chris you've actually been talking with one of the best traders (imo) on here for good used parts, ...zmanalex. ;) Not sure if Alex has a complete roof though but can't hurt to ask.

Also there are other traders on here who may be able to help like Emperor Tuning: http://www.350z-uk.c...emperor-tuning/

All can be found in the professional traders & trading area on the forum. :thumbs:

• Like 1